63 of 64 people found the following review helpful
Great sound, perfect for filling a room with music.,
This review is from: Altec Lansing M650 30-Pin iPod/iPhone Speaker Dock (Discontinued by Manufacturer) (Electronics)
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I was quite surprised at the quality of the sound from this unit. I tested it in our living room, a large space in an open floorplan, and the sound filled the space pretty well considering how far apart the walls were. In the master bedroom, however, it was amazing! I put it on one side of the room and was surrounded by music.
I did a comparison with our Bose Companion 2 Series II multimedia speaker system, changing back and forth between them to see how each performed. In louder sections of music, the Bose did seem to retain more clarity, but the sound was highly directional. It's never an issue sitting at the computer, but compared to the Altec Lansing M650 Speaker System it did not fill the room with bass.
Some quick points to consider...
* Great bass and clear treble on all styles of music
* Onboard EQ with presets and custom setting (really helps to bring the bass up or down as needed)
* Remote works well in large room
* Sound fills a large space
* Small footprint, can easily hide away on a bookcase or shelf
* Charges iPhone or iPod while in use (note: I tested it with an iPhone 3GS)
* Video out on the back for playing iPhone or iPod video (have not tested yet, will update when I get a chance)
* Auxiliary input for playing non-iPhone or iPod sources (something lacking from many other sounddocks)
* Blue LEDs on front light up when changing volume or EQ to indicate levels, very handy
* Decent size for travel, would be nice to have in a hotel room
* It's a little tricky to get the iPhone off the dock connector at first. The dock is on a spring and angles back toward the speaker to hold it in place. It's easy to get off with two hands, but removing it with one takes practice.
* Power cord is bulky and will take up extra room on your power strip. (note that the Bose sounddock removes the bulky portion of the power cable and places it along the cable instead of right at the plug.) This isn't a huge deal, just something to be aware of.
* Music can lose some clarity at top volume levels
That's about it, really. None of these three criticisms are a deal-breaker for me, and my wife loves having it in the living room. She will play music all day no matter where she is in the house and has told me several times how much she appreciates it. The $200 price tag might scare some, but not when you compare it to other serious sounddocks. In fact, compared to the Bose SoundDock Series II Digital Music System for iPod (Black), which we've had before, it is a bargain and produces equal sound quality.
I would recommend this to anyone wanting a simple solution for good sound from their iPhone or iPod in their home.
Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-3 of 3 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 25, 2011 11:46:58 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 25, 2011 11:47:23 AM PST
B. McEwan says:
Thanks for your meticulous, well-written review. If you have had a chance to test the video, I'd be interested to know what you think. Also, regarding the aux input, any idea if it will accept my Delphi XM satellite radio? I would love to be able to play the radio through the same speakers I use for my iPhone.
Posted on Dec 18, 2011 9:59:59 PM PST
Maria Callas says:
thank you for your awesome review, i am going to purchase this now after extensive extensive research- i was comparing it finally to the Harmon Kardon Go + Play Micro or even a Klipsch docking one i found, in the end i'm going with this. My family works in electronics and they love Altec Lansing so i'm sold! Thanks for your fabulous review.
Posted on Jan 31, 2012 3:11:57 PM PST
Juan Serna-spuler says:
Im curious about the remote? Does it have full functionality in the sense that you can search your music by albums and artists, or is it like the Bose system where you can only control playlists and the like?
‹ Previous 1 Next ›