5.0 out of 5 stars Very Good Buy, September 14, 2010
This review is from: Logitech S715i Portable 30-Pin iPod/iPhone Speaker Dock (Electronics)
I bought this docking station for use while deployed to Iraq and I hijacked my wife's Amazon account to do it (smart, right?). It is surprisingly light and slim, especially considering the fullness, crispness, and volume of the sound that it produces. I have not been disappointed, particularly at this price point.

Features that I really like:
1. Dual voltage, which is great for overseas travel.
2. Comes with power adapter.
3. AUX-IN capability has been very useful for plugging in to my laptop for movies.
4. They did away with the iPod inserts, and the design ingeniously allows whatever iPod you insert to rest against a back stop, so that you aren't stressing the connector when you push on the iPod to control it.
5. Remote is simple on features but works very well even when not pointed directly at the unit.

Features that could still be improved:
1. The carry case is more like a dust cover. It is made from the same material those re-usable grocery bags are made from. I am not complaining that it doesn't come with something more substantial at this price, but I do hope that Logitech or some other manufacturer makes something with padding for those of us who travel a lot. I'd be happy to purchase it as an accessory.
2. The AC adapter would be even better if the prongs folded in, as many travel adapters do.
3. You can't use an iPod touch that has a case on it. The docking area narrows toward the bottom making the width a problem--even with slim fitting cases. This just means you have to have a case that comes off easily or one that has a detachable bottom.

Overall I give this a 5 star rating. I waited about a month and a half for this to be released based on initial industry industry reviews (CNET, etc.) and features; I am not disappointed. The sound is great. It is portable. It looks good. It is not extremely expensive. Those all add up to a real winner. I own a Bose Sound Dock (original) and feel that the sound is better on that speaker system--fuller bass and it fills the room a bit better, however the price was double and it is not portable. I challenge anyone to find something higher quality and more versatile for the $150 or under range.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 4 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 24 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 22, 2010 10:55:51 PM PST
Sydney says:
Logitech S715i Rechargeable Speaker for ipod and iphone:

Dear G. Sass (reviewer),

Thank you very much for your detailed sensible down to earth review of this product. I also very much appreciate that you took the time to cover the pros and cons, but I am very happy that you actually supported your position/choice with information rather than just "it sucks" or "I couldn't figure out how to turn it on" and just leaving it at that like some reviewers do. I also appreciate the comparison to the other similar products and the honesty you stated about the sound from the other system. The great point you stated about the very big price difference made it a clear choice for me that this is the best buy for me! I've been searching for many months for the "right one" and now I am convinced I've found it! :D

Posted on Feb 16, 2011 9:03:19 AM PST
Tito says:
What version of iPod Touch did you use? I saw your part about the iPod case not letting the device plug in. I have an Otterbox Commuter 4G case, so I can't remove the bottom very easily. Thanks.

Posted on Mar 5, 2011 11:13:27 AM PST
okay, just bought it. your review was very informative, thank you.

this is everything i am looking for:

eight hour rechargeable battery life
portable
has aux 3.5 port so it'll work with her 3gs and also my samsung focus
the sound is awesome
saves space, getting rid of the stereo and also the portable radio/cd player !!
just awesome-

thanks again

Posted on Apr 10, 2011 4:55:39 PM PDT
stageO says:
Thanks for this very informative review. You answered all the questions I had regarding this product. I will probably go for it.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 16, 2011 6:34:56 AM PDT
Berlin says:
Good review, I have no problem with my uncommon case, slips right on.

Posted on Jun 4, 2011 11:15:02 PM PDT
Genevieve Sass,

Thank you for your service. I appreciate your bravery and for protecting my family and the U.S.

I greatly appreciate it.

~ Jason

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 2, 2011 6:42:37 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jul 2, 2011 6:43:14 AM PDT
RobS says:
To D. Santare, and anyone else who wants to leave their iPod in a protective case (My wife also has a Touch 4G/Otterbox Defender, I have a Classic 160GB in a hard to open case), get one of the Dock Extender cables. It has a female 40 pin connector on one end that plugs onto the male connector in your portable speaker system, and a male connector that plugs into your iPod. Mine works well with either of our iPod/case combos

Posted on Aug 2, 2011 7:50:46 PM PDT
R. Rinker says:
If you're considering buying this product, this review sums up the pros and cons very well. Overall, I'm highly satisfied with this purchase given it's surprisingly good performance versus it's relatively low price.

Posted on Dec 14, 2011 10:35:51 AM PST
G. Sass, first off - thanks for your sacrifice for your country, and lastly - you have convinced me to make this purchase. You have described the pros and cons so concisely I feel completely okay with going ahead and making this purchase. Bless you, your family and your life. Many thanks!

Posted on Dec 25, 2011 10:03:15 AM PST
J. Tu says:
Would you be able to tell me if I can use the speaker for phone calls while leaving iPhone on the dock? iPhone speaker isn't loud enough so I 'm looking for a speaker for phone calls as well.
Jay
‹ Previous 1 2 3 Next ›

Review Details

Item

4.4 out of 5 stars (1,767 customer reviews)
 (1,149)