1.0 out of 5 stars Mass Disappointment 3, March 9, 2012
= Fun:4.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Mass Effect 3 - PC (DVD-ROM)
Up until the last 20 minutes, this game was wonderful. I really don't know what else to say but that. The ending pissed me off, reading spoilers and realizing it doesn't get better pissed me off even more. I was going to play each ending and maybe start a new character but what's the point? It all ends the same bad way anyway! I personally think EA/Bioware dropped the ball on the ending, and I'm insanely disappointed in this game. If you haven't bought it, don't. Just play ME1 and ME2 and daydream an ending; it'll probably be better anyway.

ETA:

****spoilers*****
*******spoilers*****

The endings toyed with my emotions, plain and simple. During the entire game, the universe is rooting my Shep on, telling me there's still hope, there's still happiness, there's still a future. I get re-introduced to characters my Fem-Shep cared about, even loved and it all gets ripped away in the final minutes by something I, the clicker, don't even fully understand.

My Shepard would never take some 'God-child's' three choices, she would fight for a fourth. My Shepard fought in ME:1 and ME:2 to save the galaxy because of the relationships, because she cared about people and met all these races and grew to care for each person she touched and saved. She wouldn't throw that all away without trying for a future with them, and she wouldn't take one of the three colored pills without questioning the motives behind them more carefully. It's just not who my Shepard is, and Bioware didn't give me the choice to play her how I wanted.

Sometimes I want a sappy happy story at the end, and sometimes I want a real life situation, but the ending presented gave me neither. I understand, deep down (as Kaidan told my Shep) that it was probably goodbye, but it was a horrible way to go. Bioware forced my Shep to shoot her mentor, the closest figure to a Father she has and sit with him while he died. Bioware forced my Shep to crawl through a dark tunnel full of dead corpses. Then Bioware forced a hole-ridden plot upon me and forced me to choose one of three terrible fates for my Shep. I should have the option if I'm playing Paragon and lovey-dovey to have my happily ever after. I should have the choice, if I'm playing Renegade and no emotional attachments and no care for synthetics to blast them all away. If I'm power-hungry, I can control the reapers, and if my Shep truly believes in the goal given to her by the universe, to destroy the Reapers, she can do that. But I should have the choice of having any of the above.I should have a fourth option.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 1 customer

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 16 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Mar 11, 2012 10:33:43 AM PDT
Boogiman says:

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 11, 2012 12:42:39 PM PDT
Not quite. The endings have made a whole lot of people not want to play through this, or any other game in the series again. Destroying any replay value the game had is certainly worthy of a one-star review.

Posted on Mar 11, 2012 1:04:16 PM PDT
M. Kerwin says:
Of course I am. It doesn't matter how wonderful the game is (you'll note I gave it 4 stars for fun) if the ending makes you want to burn your PC or throw it out the window. I'm not going to remember a camping trip where I got mauled by a bear as "a great time until I almost died!" or a car crash coming home from vacation as "great until my parents died in it!" You have to be joking; yes I can hate the game because of the ending.

Posted on Mar 11, 2012 6:42:17 PM PDT
C. Jiang says:
A bad ending can ruin a good book, movie, or game, but it takes a special kind of bad to ruin an entire series, and make you hate ever spending your time on it. This ending was that bad.

Posted on Mar 12, 2012 1:54:11 AM PDT
Me says:

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 12, 2012 5:08:39 AM PDT
M. Kerwin says:
It's as petty as replying to comments on Amazon that you disagree with. ;]

Posted on Mar 14, 2012 10:32:23 AM PDT
Teahouse Fox says:
M. Kerwin, I agree with most everything you said. I didn't really care about the corpses. I wasn't sure if it was a good or a bad thing that the BioWare staff are apparently HUGE Battlestar Galactica reboot fans. Themes from BSG are revisited continuously in ME1-3... most of all in 3. They flog it pretty hard at times ('all this has happened before. All this will happen again.' = Reaper cycles, Memorial wall of the missing refugees, do intelligent machines have rights as true life forms?, etc..).

I did give the game a 5* review however because I will still replay it, and I still loved ME3 up until the ending. And then I was so disappointed.

Why is Garrus (and Jarvik if you have the zero-day DLC) the ONLY team member you see survive with Joker? I can suspend disbelief about how he got back up to the ship so fast, but why not show anyone else? They must have been able to show who survived until that point... they do this in ME2 in the scenes following the suicide mission.

I can deal with hard endings - I understood going into this that this was the end of Shep's story, good or bad. I had hoped for an option for a really good one. I really wanted a last scene with Shepard sitting on a beach (or something like it) with Garrus and completely retired from active military.

I hated the choice the writers gave for Kaidan/Ashley's reaction to Shep being alive in ME2. He was on the team that first saw and spoke to the Reapers! It only got worse in ME3. There really should have been a renegade interrupt when he demanded to know on Mars if Shepard was really an indoctrinated Cerberus pseudo-Husk. He needed to be decked, right there.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 14, 2012 11:18:17 AM PDT
Teahouse Fox says:
The one thing that seems without question is that people either love the game, in spite of its ending, or hate the game because of its ending.

Either way, everyone seems to agree: The ending sucks.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 14, 2012 11:53:31 AM PDT
M. Kerwin says:
Hey! I totally agree about the Kaidan/Ashley reaction in ME2, but I suppose love (even e-love) is forgiving people for their mistakes. But I agree; a full-blown romance after how they treated Shep in ME2 is a bit head-scratching.

I just couldn't give 5 stars even though I admit the game was flawless up until the ending because I am *still* angry, even now 4 days later. And I definitely haven't re-played the game nor do I have any desire to do so, which means it didn't fulfill what I wanted it to fulfill. Which sucks :/

As far as who got off the Normandy, I had EDI and Kaidan in my final mission (if Shep was going to die, I wanted her LI with her!) and when the ship crashes after synthesis choice, EDI and Joker and Kaidan get off. After the ship crashed on the Destroy option Kaidan got off, then Jarvik got off which I thought was very strange, but hey.

You should read about some ideas people have on the Bioware Social Network Forums. I'm a hopeful romantic at heart, so I'm really holding out hope that Bioware surprises us all with a new ending; I would update to five stars at that point as long as the new ending gives us the closure/answer to loopholes etc that I think we deserve. But it would be hard to trust Bioware again :/

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 14, 2012 4:18:08 PM PDT
Teahouse Fox says:
Ahhhh! Okay, well that answers one question - it's the LI who gets off the ship in every ending. I think I was exhausted when I finished the game, and was completely "Uh... what?"

I had Garrus and Kaidan in the final mission. They were my main go-to squad in ME, and through most of ME3. I'll have to agree to disagree with you about Kaidan :) - He was my LI from ME, but after the reception on Horizon, I never considered that cheating - Shep totally got dumped, then got it with both barrels one sequel later. Garrus, on the other hand, never lost his faith in her and the mission (neither did Liara or Tali), was always supportive, and stuck with her to the end. They seriously could have written a better reason for Kaidan that didn't make him seem like he was looking for a reason to disbelieve.

I DO hope they come up with a better ending. The cynic in me doubts they will, however. I think this is why movies have advanced screenings to gauge audience reaction to certain things and change them before the full release. But then, if they did that, people would be leaking it all over the Interwebz.

This game needed a pre-release screening. I think it may have been true to the story line to make every ending a hard one, but not true to the fans who have loved the characters for so long and made the franchise a mad success.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›

Review Details

Item

2.9 out of 5 stars (631 customer reviews)

$19.99 $13.79