1.0 out of 5 stars NOT the original story, December 17, 2010
This review is from: The Tale of Peter Rabbit (Board book)
Although it's presented as if it were "The Tale of Peter Rabbit" by Beatrix Potter, this is actually a HEAVILY edited version that bears little resemblance to the original. It's terrible. Compare, for instance, a passage from Beatrix Potter's original "Peter Rabbit":

"Peter was most dreadfully frightened; he rushed all over the garden, for he had forgotten the way back to the gate. He lost one of his shoes among the cabbages, and the other shoe amongst the potatoes. After losing them, he ran on four legs and went faster, so that I think he might have got away altogether if he had not unfortunately run into a gooseberry net, and got caught by the large buttons on his jacket. It was a blue jacket with brass buttons, quite new."

In this board-book version, this becomes: "Peter was very frightened. He rushed all over the garden and lost both his shoes. Then he tripped and got caught in a net."

All of the charm of the original story has been lost, replaced with a clunky and hamfisted summary of events. It's like the Cliff Notes version of "Peter Rabbit." It's ridiculous--the original story is already short, and has been beloved by small children for generations. There was NO NEED to butcher Beatrix Potter this way.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 1 customer

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-7 of 7 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Feb 26, 2011 5:59:14 PM PST
G. McNulty says:
I'm so glad that Shannon took the time to post this review. I was looking to purchase this board book ,but would not now do so based on her review. The beauty of this book is largely due to the style of language that was used at the time it was written. There's no need to "dumb down" what our children read . Their exposure to the more fanciful language of the day is educational.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 23, 2011 7:42:47 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 23, 2011 7:43:29 AM PDT
AHM says:
I don't consider this "dumbing down" at all. I think this sort of adaptation is useful for the very young (It is a board book, after all). I plan on giving this book to my baby for her 1st birthday. This allows her to have her own copy of this classic and she still gets exposure to the original when I read it to my 3 and 6 year olds.

While I agree that there is no substitution for the original, this is more appropriate for a very young child. I think that the original is best introduced around the age of 2-3, depending on the child.

Posted on Oct 12, 2012 6:39:25 AM PDT
lorianninnyc says:
Thank you very much for the review. I am looking for a replacement for my two-year-old's book that is part of the entire collection that was given to her by her grandparents in England. I would be very upset to find that it was the Reader's Digest version of The Tale of Peter Rabbit. Contrary to what some people believe, I think it is completely unnecessary to simplify things for children. They are far more intelligent than we often give them credit for. If anything, by "dumbing things down" for a toddler, we as a result may be "dumbing the child down" as well. I will not be purchasing this and will look elsewhere. Thanks again.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 15, 2013 11:51:11 AM PST
Couldn't have said it any better. We really enjoy this adaptation.

Posted on Mar 26, 2014 5:34:57 PM PDT
This review does not match the book edition where it is posted. I am looking at ISBN 978-0-7232-4770-8. Perhaps Amazon is mixing reviews again.

Posted on Mar 31, 2014 5:21:47 AM PDT
Karen says:
The paperback I received is a Pavilion Press book, but the cover is different and the text has been heavily edited. I don't mind some simplification, but the book omits the final page, ending with Peter's punishment...but no good dinner for Flopsy, Mopsy, and Cottontail. Not what I was looking for. (I guess I learned my lesson...off to my LOCAL bookstore....)

Posted on May 3, 2014 10:47:34 AM PDT
MsD says:
This seems to be a review for a different product. I've just received this book and it is, as described, a hardbound copy of the original. Same text, same illustrations. (April 2014)
‹ Previous 1 Next ›

Review Details

Item

4.1 out of 5 stars (330 customer reviews)

$7.99 $7.21