4.0 out of 5 stars cut and cuddly, October 19, 2009
This review is from: LeapFrog My Pal Scout (Toy)
I agree with other reviewers, not much to complain about for a customizable toy for under $20.00.

PROS:
1) One of the songs Scout sings is really super cute. It's the one that incorporates your child's favorites. When I sing along with Scout my son giggles, it's so darn adorable.

2) I have a glowworm that plays nighttime music for like 15 seconds, not long enough. Scout plays up to 10 minutes - GREAT FEATURE!

3) Scout is very soft and huggable.

4) When my son recognizes his name I'm sure he'll appreciate it more, but for now, it's just, well, cool to hear his name come from a toy. Gotta love technology.

CONS:
1) You have to choose a favorite animal, color and food during set up. He's six months old - I don't think he has favorites at this point, and if he did, how am I supposed to know what they are?....so I just put in any old thing for now. When I want to change them, I have to plug Scout in and download new options. It should just have all the colors and foods and animals programmed in instead of "What's your favorite?".

2) There is a pretty bad inflection at the end of my son's name (Christian). I have not tried putting other names in there to see what they sound like, but his sounds a little weird.

3) "Let's sing a song about you". Hmm, well, all it does is spell his name with a funky beat behind it. He seems to like it though.

Overall my son seems to like Scout a lot. When he hears his voice he immediately looks for him and smiles when he finds him. The things I don't like about it really don't matter because the toy is not for me, it's for my son and he likes it just fine. For the price, a definite buy.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 1 customer

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-4 of 4 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Aug 7, 2011 7:47:44 PM PDT
Yes, I got one for my 6mo old son as well. His name is also played back with a slightly inquisitive tone ("Gabriel?").

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 1, 2012 9:32:29 AM PDT
Hannah says:
My daughter's name is said the same way (Lillian?). I think all names must be repeated that way. We've gotten used to it.

Posted on Aug 1, 2012 9:57:09 AM PDT
Mommy411 says:
--UPDATE--
My son is now a little over three years old. He still loves his Scout. I got my friends daughter one (Violet) and noticed that they are updated. I like hers better, there are more songs to choose from. Anyway, what I thought was really cool is that I rented him a LeapFrog DVD to see if he would like it and the first thing he noticed was that Scout was in it. He now loves LeapFrog everything which is good because they have a lot of fun educational toys. One thing I would like to see would be a way for parents to record their childs name because with all the different ways to pronounce and spell names these days, I think that would be better than a strangers voice. To Hannah: I have gotten used to the inflection as well. It doesn't seem all that bad anymore. I still recommend this toy for any child 0-5. :-)

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 5, 2012 11:50:27 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 5, 2012 11:51:32 AM PDT
Zimger says:
I had a similar issue with my sons name. I ended up dowloading another version (In my case the UK/Ireland version). You can change the way some names are pronounced this way. It is easy to change just click edit and it will give you a list of countries to choose from. An example I have is Ruby. In the US version it sounds like Scout says Ruvy. The UK version is different. It clearly says Ruby (Without the inflection)
‹ Previous 1 Next ›

Review Details

Item

4.6 out of 5 stars (1,259 customer reviews)

$24.99 $14.99