Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Billy Talent Fire TV Stick Sun Care Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer CafeSociety CafeSociety CafeSociety  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Water Sports STEM

5.0 out of 5 stars Exceptional out-of-the-box performance, great camera., July 9, 2009
This review is from: Olympus PEN E-P1 12 MP Micro Four Thirds Interchangeable Lens Digital Camera with 14-42mm f/3.5-5.6 Zuiko Digital Zoom Lens (Silver Body/Black Lens) (Electronics)
I had been considering replacing my Leica d-lux 3 with the d-lux 4 when the EP-1 news came out. I immediately sold the d-lux 3 and ordered my EP-1. It is a little larger than I was hoping, but out of the box, the first results were incredible, RAW format on a par with my nikon d-90 RAW, requiring very little post-production. Feels good in the hand, responsive and fast auto-focus and much more satisfying to use than the leica - which I loved. Initial results in RAW much better than the leica, which was always just a little noisy.

This is a top notch camera, that I hope will continue to deliver results. The only current drawback for me is that photoshop CS4 doesn't recognizethe Olympus Raw Format (ORF). I have to go through Olympus software to convert, which severely disrupts my work flow, and the software is slow and clunky. Shooting JPGs alongside Raw in case I need the results faster.

If they get the plugin updated soon, I'll be over the moon.

Very happy with this purchase.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in
  [Cancel]

Comments

Track comments by e-mail
Tracked by 1 customer

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-8 of 8 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jul 13, 2009 1:16:54 PM PDT
Carol Stee says:
Is your Photoshop CS4 on Windows or MacIntosh? I heard that the PEN E-P1 is not compatible with MacIntosh. Also, do you miss not having a view finder or a built in flash?

Posted on Jul 17, 2009 9:35:02 AM PDT
P H F says:
Thanks for putting in the information on Adobe CS4. I am a professional who needs to use this software. I had bought the Panasonic and found that it only used Silkypics. Gave it away to my granddaughter. Guess I will stick to my D-Lux 3 for the time being.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 18, 2009 8:43:07 AM PDT
Tri Huynh says:
The camera was only released a short time ago. Just give the folks at Adobe some time to come up with the ACR update. Then CS4 and Lightroom will recognise the file.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 21, 2009 8:05:12 PM PDT
C. B. Wagner says:
Huh?!?! How could a camera not be compatible with a computer? While CS4 may not be able to read the RAW files yet (Which is typical for pretty much every new camera) you can always shoot JPEG and a JPEG is a JPEG, any computer can use it.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 25, 2009 11:35:21 AM PDT
J. Davies says:
Cs4/Mac OSX. operating system irrelevant, I haven't attached a camera to PC/MAC for years, just using the SD card is fast enough and good enough.
New update to the original post: I just blew a whole set of images at the beach yesterday, accidentally had white balance set to indoor light. Tried rescuing the JPG versions, and really couldn't fix them, completely blue. Opened the raw files in Olympus master and reset white balance and the images are perfect, no color cast at all, as if I got it right first time. so bottom line is, while having for the moment to edit in olympus RAW before going into photoshop, Olympus master (free with camera) is extremely good at basic corrections. very pleased.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 25, 2009 11:37:57 AM PDT
J. Davies says:
See post in reply to earlier message. I never said camera compatible with mac or pc, it's the photoshop plug in that was the issue, as noted in my latest post, olympus master does really solid basic corrections in raw before going into pshop - corrections which were virtually impossible from the jpgs. well worth shooting raw despite the extra step required before photoshop, in fact, photoshop wasn't needed after fixing in olympus master raw. good stuff.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 25, 2009 11:40:46 AM PDT
J. Davies says:
See my additional notes below. Olympus Master does enough quality in the basic corrections that I didn't need pshop. the camera results are so much superior to the leica I used to use, and even on a par (exposure, sharp focus and general image quality-wise) with my nikon d-90, at least in beach scenes, which the leica often underexposed and the nikon constantly overexposed. Of course I could go manual or bracket on both cameras, too to get it right, but with the wind blown sand and spray on the oregon coast, you really gotta get the shot and get the camera back in the bag quick!

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 25, 2009 11:44:47 AM PDT
J. Davies says:
Forgot to mention the viewscreen/viewfinder. Yes, it is a bit of a drawback, particularly in harsh lighting situations for actually seeing the screen (on the beach, bright sunlight). So I have ordered the optional viewfinder. I take multiple pictures every time I shoot, so exact framing isn't a big issue with me, usually cropping/correcting rotation in post. The viewfinder will speed up basic composition for faster shooting. I think it'll be a big help.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›