1.0 out of 5 stars Potentially very DANGEROUS -- please be careful, November 8, 2011
This review is from: Ethical Pet Wide Durable Heavy Gauge Plastic Colorful Springs Cat Toy, 10-Pack (Misc.)
Please use extreme caution if you purchase these toys for kittens in particular. My 12 week old kitten started to lose weight and was failing to thrive when he was always the largest and strongest of a litter I am fostering. I weigh the kittens continually to track their progress. A barium study revealed 5 broken pieces of these springs in his GI tract which will now have to be removed either endoscopically or by surgery if the pieces migrated to his intestines. This would have killed him and/or caused perforation if not caught in time. Despite careful supervision of the kittens during play with the springs, the one kitten ingested them a few days ago. We supervise very carefully as my spouse, a veterinary internist, has had to remove many unusual items from dogs and cats that one would not expect they would/could swallow over his 20 plus years in practice so this happening was especially distressing.

UPDATE:
My lucky kitten is now a healthy cat in our multi-cat household. I wanted to clarify that the spring pieces removed and returned to us were both the plastic Ethical WIDE Colorful Springs Cat Toy and Ethical THIN Colorful Springs Cat Toys. The wide ones do not break easily, however, cats can break them and chew the edges making them sharp. People can also break the springs unintentionally. I do not think the vast majority of cats would ingest the pieces, however, I wanted to share my experience so owners are aware that it can happen even if it is a rare occurrence.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 6 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 46 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 22, 2011 8:43:34 AM PST
Millie R. says:
I was wondering what size they are as I feared my cats might swallow them. Sorry you had to go through that. I'm glad you added your comment for others. I have a kitten that swallowed a whole chicken wing so I figured he would probably swallow these.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 24, 2011 10:09:21 PM PST
Hi Millie,

The kitties were around 3.5 lbs at the time when one decided he was going to eat them. These kittens play really hard and actually broke the springs into pieces. I doubt my older cats would have done that though. I also purchased the more narrow version in conjunction with the wide ones. The narrow ones are brittle and broke apart more easily. Sorry to hear about the chicken wing! Those kittens/cats are precious, but boy they do get into things! :)

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 6, 2012 4:28:27 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 7, 2012 11:24:13 AM PST
Brian says:
Millie, I think you were asking the size of the Springs, not the Cats. Ive ordered several sets of these for our kitten, and she loves to play with them, but doesnt chew on them, they seem pretty safe to me. The springs are 1" in diameter, and 2" long, probably impossible to swallow unless broken apart. None of ours have broken apart; just when you accidently step on them they are squashed out of shape.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 6, 2012 10:43:38 PM PST
Garmonbozia says:
I believe that the springs that Anne's cat ingested were metal. I ordered this item on 12/31/11 without reading any of the recent reviews, and was appalled when it arrived. I received metal springs with sharp ends, covered with foul-smelling paint. In the past I ordered this item, and the springs were soft, non-toxic plastic. Eventually the cats stretched them, and bit them into pieces, so I threw away the pieces, and bought more of them.

I just sent an e-mail to Amazon customer service, begging them to stop selling this horribly dangerous item. There is a similar but safe product on Amazon called "Kitty Playground Cat Springs" that are described as plastic and non-toxic.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 6, 2012 10:46:09 PM PST
Garmonbozia says:
@Anne: I hope your kitten recovered OK? I foster for a rescue group, and have special needs cats in my group, and if they can find a way to get into trouble, believe me, they do!

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 7, 2012 11:18:18 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 7, 2012 11:25:18 AM PST
Brian says:
I dont know from experience, but the picture of the product you recommend looks like the long narrow version, which some people have left comments that pieces have broken off. Regarding this particular version that all the comments are on (the Wide version), Ive ordered it four times and what I got was wonderful until I ordered from the (Sold by: AudioHaus, LLC / From Invoice: Seller: The Mobile Solutions Company) seller, they are the horrible wires with stinky paint. I had very good results when I ordered from the 'Entirely Pets' seller, they were the safe version, and I orderd on Fri & rcvd on Mon.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 7, 2012 1:09:39 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 7, 2012 1:28:31 PM PST
Max12 says:
Garmonbozia: Thank you for asking. He has fully recovered and is doing great! Unfortunately, he has moved on to trying to chew through any and every electrical cord. I have to childproof my home like I have a toddler now ;) Thank you for your work fostering.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 7, 2012 1:49:18 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 7, 2012 1:56:12 PM PST
Brian,
My kitten ingested both wide and narrow versions of the spring. I received the vial of the contents of his stomach. My kitten is a very naughty and determined one! I foster kittens/cats and never experienced a problem with any of the older cats playing with the springs. However, I wanted people to be aware of the potential danger as my kitten scare could have easily been lethal. I do not believe these toy are necessarily dangerous to all cats. My husband is a veterinary internist and he has had to endoscopically remove some truly strange items that cats/dogs have ingested so I really try to be careful with our pet toys. The narrow springs are very brittle and I would not recommend those at all. The wider springs are flexible and my cats enjoy them, but some still broke off after time. Hope this adds some clarification.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 10, 2012 10:30:59 AM PST
what a horror story! I bought my kitten the fatter springs for an Xmas gift. He loved them so much that I ordered three more packages, ASSUMING they were made by the same people. WRONG! The second sets were the thin springs with sharp ends and they scared me. I am collecting those 20 springs up and returning them to their respective sellers. I will ONLY buy the heavily coated ones which are more flexible and not ones with thin wire. Thanks for the warning. My instincts told me something was wrong - and you have confirmed it. Best, Susan

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 10, 2012 11:25:37 AM PST
Garmonbozia says:
I'm wondering if even the plastic ones are safe after reading so many comments about incidents with kitty springs. I'm going to ask my vet about this. The cats love them, but these might be "with supervision only" toys.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next ›