Your Garage Best Books of the Month Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Melvins Explore Premium Audio Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Best Camping & Hiking Gear in Outdoors STEM

1.0 out of 5 stars 505s in Name Only - Levi's Has Ruined This Old Favorite, June 7, 2011
This review is from: Levi's Men's 505 Regular Fit Jean (Shoes)
I've been happily buying and wearing 505 Regular Fit jeans for many, many years. I did not notice before submitting my most recent order that Regular Fit has been replaced by Straight Fit. But, boy, did I notice a change once they arrived. These aren't the same jeans at all. The fabric is less substantial and - most disheartening to me - the rise is a good inch lower than it used to be. That is, the waistband sits lower on the hips. They feel wrong to me, like I need to pull them up all the time. And they feel cheap. I can't wear them.

In my opinion, Levi's should have been more forthright about this change. This new jean should have received its own new model number and they should have retired the 505 number entirely. Because these are not, in any manner that's important to me, anyway, 505s.

Now I have to find another brand of jean whose waistband sits up at my waist where I like it. What a hassle. So very disappointing.

Levi's, you screwed up.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in
  [Cancel]

Comments

Track comments by e-mail
Tracked by 4 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 22 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jun 8, 2011 9:38:48 PM PDT
B. Seeds, you hit it right on the nail. I recently bought 2 pairs of the 505s and didn't even bother trying them on because I have always gotten the same size and model and they fit perfectly everytime. But not these two. I put them on and felt like I had to "pull" them up. In addition the waist size was a bit wide and it was longer by about 1-2 inches. As I was walking, the cuff would wind up underneath my heel. Plus the material wasn't as soft and it felt thinner. The best way to describe it is like wearing a doubled up painter's drop cloth (a little exaggerated).

I googled the 505s and found out about the changes plus I saw the links to Amazon reviews. After reading yours (and others), I found out about the change to "straight fit" from the "regular fit". I checked the tags and sure enough, all my old ones were regular and the two new ones were "straight". Very disappointing that's for sure. Also, I noticed the change to Made in Mexico. Sigh...

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 8, 2011 10:09:05 PM PDT
B. Seeds says:
What furthers the ruse is that if you google for 505 Regular Fit, you land on 505 Straight Fit on a number of sites, including Levi's.

As for country of manufacture, I believe Levi's could make the 505 Regulars anywhere they cared to, so long as the factory had the original fabric and original pattern. But, yes, it sure would be nice to have them manufactured here. We need the work!

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 25, 2011 7:44:51 AM PDT
You are so right about "straight" vs "regular."
I even called the Levi web-site customer service and the person who answered couldn't even tell me what the difference is between "regular" and "straight" fit.
Finally, she said she believes straight is the new version of regular. But she clearly had no clue.
I ain't buying any of it.
Straights are not regulars, else why would Levi change the label?

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 27, 2011 4:30:13 PM PDT
B. Seeds says:
I just bought some L.L. Bean's Double L Classic Fit Jeans. They seem to fit really well, perhaps even better than the old 505s used to. The waistline is up where it's supposed to be.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 27, 2011 4:30:25 PM PDT

Posted on Jul 10, 2011 5:17:44 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Dec 10, 2011 1:58:08 PM PST
Well, after shooting them an email this is what I got:

"Lilia here from Levi's®. Thanks for checking in with us.
We occasionally update our product line based on consumer feedback and demand in order to ensure we have the best fits and styles in the marketplace. We are sorry for any inconvenience this may cause you, and we will be sure to pass along your suggestions to our product managers.
In the meantime we suggest you try either the 501® or the 550™ jeans for the most comparable style."

Uh... nope... I'm gonna try another brand. Thanks Levi's, so much for the 505 line...

Btw: I just found these and bought a pair. Not bad so far but I dunno about the durability (we shall see):
Wrangler Men's Rugged Wear Classic Fit Jean

Update: I found these jeans and they very closely match the 505s I was wearing before. It's got low reviews but dunno why, they work ok for me.

Genuine Wrangler Men's Regular Fit Jeans

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 10, 2011 11:40:38 AM PST
Well I hardly ever post comments but I am another long time user (perhaps 30+ years...) and I was totally confused -- I kept trying on different pairs of 505's thinking they would fit right since they always had in the past --

So it is great to confirm that it is time to change brands -- Thank you for the suggestion to try the LL Bean Double L Classic Fit :) !!

wendell

Posted on Jun 6, 2012 7:26:20 AM PDT
Fred says:
I've worn "505's" since the mid '80's. Like everyone else I could walk in any retail store pick out my size without trying them on. Not anymore, I recently purchased 2 pair of "505's" took them home and as always washed them. To my surprise when I put them on I couldn't believe the fit, they didn't fit! Both pair to the "Goodwill" box. Come on Levies, straight fit...regular fit what were you guy's thinking? I'm a regular guy and I wear regular jeans. Ask Coca Cola how the "New Coke" worked out for them 25 years ago. Let's get back in the business of making the "505's" that everybody wants.

Posted on Dec 22, 2012 8:14:11 PM PST
Max260 says:
I bought 3 pair of these jeans not realizing they fit below the waist. What a big disappointment. They don't have any other alternative. I think I'm probably through with Levi's jeans. I recently bought a pair of Carhartt traditional fit jeans. They have good reviews. And 11 dollars cheaper. Hopefully, I will like them. If I do, I'm probably through with Levi's. It's a shame. I've been wearing Levi's since I was a teenager.

Posted on Sep 15, 2013 8:55:57 AM PDT
I had trusted Levi's sizing and fit for more than 40 years and I too noticed the change the last time I ordered the 505's but thought it was a one-off anomoly. After reading all the comments, I will give up on Levi's. What a massive bungle on their part. And what a pain in the crotch to have to find fit and quality from another manufacturer.

Scott