5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic value, amazing value!, April 4, 2011
This review is from: Roxio Game Capture (Software)
I purchased this product with the hope to produce 480p videos of me playing Rock Band 3 on my xbox 360. I received the product, opened it up, and I had it hooked up very quickly. I had a brief problem hooking it up through component input 1 on my HDTV, but it worked fine on component input 2 for whatever stupid reason. I used Roxio's very helpful wiring diagram on their website to ensure that everything was hooked up correctly.

Once I had it hooked up, I installed the software on my computer, rebooted my computer, and I was ready to record. I launched the software, which was insanely simple to use, and I recorded my first Rock Band 3 video. I recorded a short 5-minute video, uploaded it to youtube, and I was watching my video in 480p in less than 15 minutes. Most of the time was spent uploading and waiting for youtube to process the video. It was amazingly slick, simple, and easy to use.

Feel free to view this sample video to view the video quality: [...]

It's worth noting that it does come with a component cable, which is very nice considering many retail stores would be happy to sell you one for $30! Bear in mind you will also need a system-specific component cable, which I bought at Gamespot for $15. They actually sell one cable that is compatible for PS3 and XBOX 360, which is pretty convenient!

The software is decent, but it definitely has its limitations. For example, I don't think it's possible to superimpose one video clip on to another video clip. It's very popular to superimpose a cut-out of the note chart along with a video of you actually playing. I don't think that is possible with this software, though I'd be happy to be corrected on this. Most commonly used transitions and effects are available, and you can dub your own audio narration over the video, which is great.

Conclusion: This is an excellent product and a great value. This is great for anyone that wants a simple solution for recording 480p video from their consoles, and then uploading it to sites like youtube. I look forward to an HD variant in the future!

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 4 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 10 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Apr 5, 2011 10:52:50 AM PDT
Dporter says:
Is 480p the highest it will capture video in? I would think to be HD it would at least have to capture in 720.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 6, 2011 7:09:36 AM PDT
A. Reese says:
Any chance you could repost an edited link to the video? You obviously can't post them normally on Amazon.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 18, 2011 2:55:47 PM PDT
Esteban says:
@Dporter,
I read that using the software that comes with the game capture you could upscale to 720.
gaming dot hexus dot net / content / item dot php ? item = 30084

Joe, it would be cool if you could confirm this. Thanks

In reply to an earlier post on May 24, 2011 6:16:40 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 24, 2011 6:23:49 PM PDT
Joe says:
I believe you can export it in whatever resolution in software, but it won't matter if you used Roxio's hardware to do it. It's running through component cables, so it's going to be 480 at best. After reading that review, I don't know what that review is talking about. I don't see how it could truly be "upgraded" to 720p quality. I don't think that reviewer knows what they're talking about.

In reply to an earlier post on May 27, 2011 1:36:09 PM PDT
Carlos says:
@Joe your affirmation that component goes to a maximum of 480 (at best) is technically wrong. In fact, the video component specification YPbPr (or Y, B-Y, R-Y as it is known in the A/V jargon) is capable of 1080p technically. You can verify this from any video technical source you like. Wikipedia also has an article referring to "component video", and a very complete one on "1080p" were the video consoles are mentioned.
Thank you for your initial review on setup and troubleshooting. Appreciate it.

It is unfortunate that Roxio does not publish the technical capabilities (specifications) of the hardware. All it says on their website is the supported video formats for capture and output, but we all know these are software encoders capabilities. There is no reference to hardware capabilities there or in the included documentation with the product. Of course, this may make marketing sense if the intended output are online services such as Youtube or facebook.

A drawback I found is that the Roxio provided driver is not understood by higher end video editing software such as Adobe Premier, Pinnacle Studio or Avid.

Posted on Jul 31, 2011 8:30:25 PM PDT
Chris says:
Hey Joe, I'm looking to buy this for my RB videos too. Can you post your system specs? I'm wanting to use this on my laptop and my desktop but I'm worried my laptop may not be powerful enough. Also, can you just play full screen without recording? I sometimes take my 360 with me out of town and use my laptop as a TV so I can play without a TV nearby. Thanks!

Posted on Oct 8, 2011 1:03:37 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jan 9, 2013 3:34:25 AM PST
Joe, 480p is the highest resolution that composite cables can deliver. Component cables can provide a resolution of 720p, 1080i, and technically 1080p, though that depends on the device and that's a rare thing to come by unfortunately.

EDIT: I believe I may have erred. S-Video should deliver 480p, while composite yellow should output at 360p. Pretty sure that's correct.

Posted on Mar 20, 2012 7:48:06 PM PDT
SaxMan95 says:
ok so what happens if you dont have an hd tv? can i still just connect the red and white cables to my xbox and the other red and white cables that roxio provides to the tv and will it still record? and can you add commentary onto it?

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 25, 2012 5:30:15 PM PDT
Carlos says:
@SaxMan95 if you connect Red/White only you'll have the audio on your TV, no image.
You could not output anything to the TV if you don't want to. I have personally plugged the Roxio Gamecap to an XBOX, a PS3 and a Cable box and recorded audio and video from them without connecting the TV at all. You just monitor the recording on the little screen of the Roxio.
I do have noticed that sometimes the audio and the video get out of sync (which annoys me a lot) specially when running an i7 processor with 16GB of RAM. Pinnacle Studio records a lot better using this hardware as input. The problem is not the box, it is the capture software (in my opinion).
I hope this answered your question about connecting back to the TV.

Posted on Sep 30, 2014 5:32:19 PM PDT
‹ Previous 1 Next ›

Review Details

Item

3.1 out of 5 stars (253 customer reviews)

Used & New from: $59.95