3.0 out of 5 stars It works..., October 17, 2009
This review is from: Motorola Renew W233 Prepaid Phone, Green (T-Mobile) (Wireless Phone Accessory)
I needed a replacement phone immediately. Because I *completely* resent the $18 'upgrade' fee T-Mobile charges on top of the cost of a new phone, I've decided to buy unlocked or non contracted phones from now on. I didn't know what kind of 'good' phone I wanted, so I bought this as a stand in... I just slid my regular sim card in when it arrived and I was good to go (i.e. I did not use any sort of pay as you go, pre-paid service with it).

The good:

It works. It makes calls. Calls are clear. It was a cheap filler phone and I'll hang on to it for that purpose again. There's a music player which works well.

There are two fun games included with it--sodoku and tetris--which work well and don't seem to be 'demos'.

The not great but dealable:

No bluetooth, no email client. It's a cheap phone, so not having those things wasn't unexpected but I realized how much I'd grown to like both of those things.

The memory expansion card is underneath the battery--not very convenient.

The battery itself is a REALLY tight fit...I've never had one which is so hard to remove (which makes dealing with the memory card more of a pain than I'm used to.

The not so great stuff that I didn't like about the design which goes beyond the it's 'it's a basic phone' explanation:

The headphone jack isn't a 'standard' one...and the included earbuds are utter crap so I've really missed my stereo bluetooth ones. It's a shame because the music player itself isn't bad.

The photo viewer is a disappointment. Pictures don't fill the screen well and take forever to load. Waste of time.

Perhaps the most significant is that I've had a LOT of phones and this has the tightest, most uncomfortable key configuration. The buttons seem hard to press and my hand cramps up. I'm not a texting maniac but I REALLY hate texting on this phone (and I've never thought about it before).

I can't figure out how to turn off the annoying little jangley chirpy sound when I plug or unplug it in to charge. Annoying when that wakes up my husband late or in the morning.

Be the first person to comment on this review.

[Add comment]