2.0 out of 5 stars Price was right but Way too complicated,, March 3, 2010
This review is from: HP CB782A#ABA 640 Inkjet Fax Machine (Office Product)
Review of the HP 640 Fax

First, let me say I am a fan of HP, or at least was until Carli Ferini, whats-her-name, ran the company into the ground.

All of my computers, printer, laptop, camera, etc., are HP. They have outstanding customer service which led me to choose them.

Since the HP All-in-One (One for all?) machine died completely after only 2 years, I bought this HP 640, wanting a simple, easy to use, inexpensive Fax machine.

Well, it was inexpensive. It certainly is not simple nor easy to use, six months later I still cannot get it to work properly.

The directions, 66 pages for god's sake, are confusing and contradictory and at least in one case, flat out wrong. You put the copy to be faxed face down, not face up as they say in the directions.

I cannot get the machine to work in conjunction with an answering machine, unlike the two previous fax machines I have had over the years. It simply won't do it. Either it butts in on telephone calls or doesn't answer when it should.

At last I got it to stop printing out a confirmation sheet after sending a fax, here again the directions are contradictory and confusing.

Hopefully, this model is discontinued, in case it isn't I wanted to save anyone else from buying one like I did. I won't buy another HP when this quits.

Why do these people feel compelled to add feature upon feature to a simple product when all I want it to do is to send a damn fax? The programming of this takes hours, literally hours. The options and tricks are apparently endless, even in this inexpensive machine.

My first fax was a Panasonic which worked faithfully for ten years until a cross country move drained the electrons. Now I am on my second one in a couple years and not satisfied with it.

Just like these new cell phones which take a master's degree in programming to use, who needs them? All I want to do is send and recieve a simple fax, in English, not French, German, or Japanese; now, not at 2:30 in the morning on the coast.

For god's sake why do they make this complicated junk? I guess because we suckers buy it unknowingly.

Be the first person to comment on this review.

[Add comment]