4.0 out of 5 stars A Descent into Madness..., June 28, 2012
= Fun:3.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Spec Ops: The Line - Xbox 360 (Video Game)
In a market inundated with shooters, I found Spec-Ops: The Line to be a breath of fresh air. Yes, it employs the standard mechanics of most third person shooters (cover, blindfire, melee, squad commands) but the story is what really distinguishes this title.

When I first started playing this game, I admit, I was fairly disappointed because it didn't seem to offer anything that I hadn't seen before. But then a curious thing happened. The story slowly started to put my head in a chokehold and would not let go. This is the problem I have with some of the games out there in the market. Story seems to have taken a back seat to extensive set piece sequences rather that the other way around. Granted, Spec Ops has more than a few of these sequences, but they come from a natural progression of the story.

What started off as standard action movie fare, slowly unraveled in a story of horror and madness. That seems like an overly dramatic statement but that's what I felt as the game continually bombards you with images of violence and questionable moral perspectives under the theme that even the most honorable of men are capable of doing evil things. For a military shooter, this is pretty groundbreaking. Your enemies aren't just faceless sprites that you pick off one by one as you pump your fists in the air. In Spec-Ops, they are just as human as you and I. I didn't feel good playing this game, and I say that with the highest compliment. It was the equivalent of seeing a car crash in slow motion: you can't tear your eyes away from it and you know it's not going to end well, but you're fascinated nontheless.

A couple of gripes that I have is that the game mechanics are very dated. There's not a lot of innovation and quite frankly, the Gears of War series, a comparable genre, does it better. The animations are a bit stiff and don't get me started on the enemy AI. They flank, which is a good thing, but more often than not, they will start shooting at you out in the open which makes them too easy to kill. The game is also fairly short at 5-6 hours. Some may not be able to justify a full retail purchase for a game that you can complete in an afternoon, but the game's story convinced me that it was worth the price.

I really like this game. It's not as polished as it could have been, but I'm glad the developer has taken the time to focus on narrative which distinguishes it from most shooters these days.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 2 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-3 of 3 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jun 29, 2012 12:06:00 AM PDT
Jason Bean says:
Great review! I too can't say I "enjoyed" playing this game, but it's an experience well worth taking. Best "horror" game I've played this year.

Posted on Jul 9, 2012 11:24:09 AM PDT
Nadine says:
I've played a few military shooters (own Battlefield BC & COD MW2) and after renting COD MW3, I was convinced that I'm just done with these games. They're fun but the monotony of the same old thing is just too much for me to enjoy it anymore.
I've been getting into more RPG & story-based games that draw me in.
I dont' buy games that are this short, but I'm glad to hear there's some good story going on so I'll be checking it out.
Thanks for the review.

Posted on Aug 9, 2012 5:19:16 PM PDT
Rainer Rocks says:
Wonderful Review..really helpful..Thanks !
‹ Previous 1 Next ›