Automotive Deals Best Books of the Month Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis Enter for the chance to win front row seats to Barbra Streisand Water Sports

4.0 out of 5 stars Not Bad at All, July 6, 2010
This review is from: JVC GZ-HM300 Dual Slot High Definition Camcorder (Electronics)
It was a tough choice, but I feel confident that I bought the right camcorder. The timelapse function was the main factor in my search, but don't feel that I sacrificed much else in this decision (except for horrible low-light sensitivity).

My only real regret about this camera is the output file format. The software allows for some output options, but the .mts file format is not compatible with most apps. Apparently, the HD output will not be as good as what you see thru the camera playback. The software assumes that you will be burning the videos onto DVD, which is OK if you don't care for HD. I'm still not sure if full HD playback is possible without the camera as the player. There are some conversion programs out there that will allow the videos to be edited with the popular editing apps, but I don't yet have any experience with such conversions. This is the biggest problem with the JVC GZ-HM300.

Good zoom, excellent resolution, and good battery life. Now, if I can only get that HD video out into the real world.
If I'm wrong, please someone set me straight...

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in
  [Cancel]

Comments

Track comments by e-mail
Tracked by 2 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-9 of 9 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Aug 7, 2010 9:57:26 PM PDT
RF says:
I get full HD playback of the highest resolution files from this camcorder thru my PlayStation 3 via my Home Media Network Drive. Looks great and just as good as hooking the camcorder directly to my HDTV via HDMI.

Posted on Dec 23, 2010 7:51:13 PM PST
Google "AVCHD converter" or "AVC/H264 converter" and you'll find all kinds of software, some free, some shareware, for Windows and Mac computers to help you get where you want to be. Lots of help in forums, too.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 24, 2010 1:22:03 PM PST
Thanks,
Shortly after making that post, I figured out how to export edited HD content. The Everio MediaBrowser HD Edition software allows for production of .WMV files from the original JVC file format (was it .mti? I forget). After producing the wmv files, I import them into Windows Movie Maker to combine with effects not available in the Everio software. See my results here:
So, I liked this camera well enough to buy another one! I found it essential to have at least 2 cameras going when the sky turns into a 3-ring circus.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 1, 2011 9:35:31 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 1, 2011 9:36:59 PM PST
Glad to hear it! I was pleasantly surprised - my wife gave me a Sanyo VPC-GH2 HD camera for Christmas! I'm having "fun" converting those AVCHD/H.264 files into something my older iBook G4 won't choke on when it tries to play them. I put 'em into iMovie, and export 'em out as QuickTime movies in 720p. The camera does pretty well in night lighting. Great little camera. Happy New Year!

Posted on May 22, 2011 8:20:50 AM PDT
Justin says:
mts files can be directly played with many PC media players such as VLC player, Media Player Classic, and others. No need to convert these files.

In reply to an earlier post on May 27, 2011 10:30:04 PM PDT
Reynolds says:
Yes, but if you dont convert the JVC files how can you burn a DVD that will play
on your computer and TV?

In reply to an earlier post on May 28, 2011 10:43:47 AM PDT
If you're on a Mac and using Toast to burn your DVDs (pretty common), you should be able to just drag the files into the Toast window and it'll burn from there. iMovie accepts a lot of different file types, too. For Windows it depends on your burner. I think some versions of Nero will allow you to do that - just open the burner software, and drag the files into the window, then burn. You can probably Google for DVD burning software and find something free or cheap for that.

Posted on Dec 4, 2011 9:39:25 AM PST
if this is outputs to .mts this is an industry standard AVCHD file. Try Nero Vision (terrible company with terrible software), Avid (Pinnacle) Studio HD (good but locks up every once in awhile), or even the free Windows Live 2011 Movie Maker.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 26, 2012 6:08:56 AM PST
Jake says:
I would update your review because if I didn't read the comments, I wouldn't have realized that you could export hd. thanks!
‹ Previous 1 Next ›