2.0 out of 5 stars Headphones suck!, September 21, 2009
This review is from: Apple iPod shuffle 2 GB Black (3rd Generation) (Discontinued by Manufacturer) (Electronics)
The headphones that are required to use the new ipod shuffle are probably the poorest example of product design i've ever seen. Based on its size, portability and Apple's marketing, you would think this would be a perfect product for exercising. That is where you would be wrong! The controls on the headphone wire are right up next to your ear, and unless you exercise without sweating, that tiny box is doomed to get filled with sweat. I bought this ipod specifically for running, but after about 3 miles the controls start acting totally erratically, randomly and constantly switching between songs and playlists, or alternatively not playing any music but just talking at me with its annoying computer voice. I can only attribute the behavior to sweat getting on the control box. Today I even tried covering the box with plastic wrap and tape, but to no avail. I was so frustrated with the ipod's crazy behavior on mile 6 that I actually ripped the headphones out of my ears and threw them in the ditch. Not kidding. Looking for some alternative to control it, because I do really like it's size for running, and the new playlist feature is great...but not when it's acting crazy. I'm so irritated that Apple overlooked this crucial aspect of this product.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 6 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 33 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Oct 23, 2009 12:13:37 PM PDT
I agree totally with this review. I purchased mine, before reading this review, specifically for running and found the experience of the author to by my experience as well. Though I did not throw mine in a ditch.

Posted on Oct 29, 2009 5:06:09 AM PDT
Ronin says:
I totally agree with this, mine did exactly the same.
This is poor quality and a waste of money!!!!

Posted on Nov 2, 2009 9:06:07 PM PST
Exact same experience. I returned the first one I bought thinking it was a fluke but the second one did the same thing. The headphone controls are worthless

Posted on Nov 22, 2009 10:33:56 PM PST
tethoma says:
Totally agree! Sound controls on the headphones make no sense. What if you want to upgrade you headphones with a noise cancelling type brand? You won't be able to control the volume or track advance. Bad product design.

Posted on Nov 28, 2009 7:43:51 AM PST
Ryan Milton says:
Thanks like all the other comments I have the 4 gig NANO god only knows what generation. I have always had good luck with quality headphones from the $18 to $50 price range of Sennheiser brand. Does anyone have suggestions about what they may recommend about the ipod deal? I personally have no need for a picture or video but I do like how on my 4 gig nano does have the screen for songs being played. I am thankful to get this information about this "new" shuffle problem. Happy holidays to all!

Posted on Dec 16, 2009 1:04:45 PM PST
Apple's solution is to sell a $20 cord that allows you to use other head phones and still be able to control the newest shuffle. My second generation recently got stolen so now I have to buy the third generation, new $20 head phones plus a $20 adaptor cord sold by apple.

Posted on Dec 19, 2009 11:02:35 PM PST
Thank you! My son's 2nd gen shuffle just died (6 days before xmas) - so I came on here to grab him a new shuffle in time for the holiday. But this sounds awful - very stupid to have the controls in the headphones. I guess I'll look for another 2nd gen, or step him up to a nano. Thanks for the help!

Posted on Dec 21, 2009 1:06:05 AM PST
Tekkie says:
I always wonder why anybody would buy this over the Sansa Clip? For $55 you can get an 8 GB clip. It may be bigger than the shuffle, but it has more memory, a screen, and the controls are the player so you can use your own headphones. It is still very small, similar in size to the last shuffle. It is a much better player than the shuffle, you just has to give up the Apple "coolness" factor. I have the Touch as my main player, but as far as cheap players go I would never buy a Shuffle over a Sansa.

Posted on Jan 2, 2010 12:17:47 PM PST
S. kennedy says:
Exact same thing happened to mine.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 5, 2010 8:51:44 AM PST
L. Vassallo says:
Probably the reason besides cool design that people choose IPod over Sansa is sound quality. How's the sansa sound quality? Another feature that I hate about Apple MP3 is the obligatory use of ITunes and how it slaves you from just dragging and copy your songs to a folder. Also, if for some reason you redo your PC you lose your current songs. Apple is now playing the same game that Bill Gates plays with Microsoft.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 Next ›