3.0 out of 5 stars Good charger, junk adapters, April 17, 2012
This review is from: PowerGen® 5200mAh External Battery Pack High Capacity Power Bank Charger 1A output for Apple and Android Devices (Electronics)
I bought this to serve as a backup battery for my phone during long trips. The charger itself works well; it charges my phone up completely twice over just as fast as an AC adapter. The flashlight is an added bonus. At one point the charger locked up though, and it wasn't until I tried using it again hours later that I got any sort of response from it. Seems to have just been a glitch of some kind.

One big downfall: it comes with a short cable, one side is USB and the other is fitted for all of the charger plugs (micro-USB, iPhone, etc). After not even a week of use the micro-USB head became pretty loose, and at this point it will not stay connected to my phone unless it is physically held in place at just the right angle. Luckily being a nerd I have plenty of USB cable lying around, so I can still use the charger. However the shortest one is still three feet long so it's anything but convenient. Since I bought it with 'fulfillment by Amazon' my only option is to return the whole thing for a refund, so I'm just going to deal with using a longer cable.

Short version: The charger itself is good, but purchase from someone with a better replacement policy, or be prepared to use your own USB cable(s).

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 2 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-9 of 9 posts in this discussion
Initial post: May 30, 2012 11:30:06 AM PDT
Arun Prakash says:
I am having the same problem - the device is not charging when plugged to an outlet and I think it's because the micro usb is loose. If I adjust the position so that it starts charging; when I return it's stuck on three blue circles and no longer charging and I suspect it's because the micro usb connection got loose

Posted on Jun 18, 2012 2:10:54 AM PDT
C. Mottes says:
Thanks for the review. Could you please clarify, if I just use my own USB - iPhone cable, then the problem you mention should be removed, right? Also, to charge the PowerGen, do you need to use an AC charger, or is USB - miniUSB from the PC fine?

Hope you have the time to reply,
Thanks

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 28, 2012 9:25:37 AM PDT
K. Hales says:
I am not the reviewer, but I have one of these. You can use any USB cable, so use the one that came with the Iphone or 3rd party. To charge, you just plug it into the USB port of computer or any wall USB charger like those small ones Iphone comes with. You charge the unit via a Micro USB port (cable not included) connected to either a standard AC or car phone charger, or through any standard USB port on a computer.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 15, 2012 9:05:27 AM PDT
Jenny says:
I am also have the same problem but mine is only on 2 circles, less than 6mos old

Posted on Apr 20, 2013 9:21:10 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 20, 2013 9:37:25 PM PDT
JustinA says:
I agree. I had one of these that failed at 4 months, but liked it so much I got it replaced. The pack has a USB output and a microusb input for charging just for references (and you can even daisy chain them-charge this while its charging sometimes else). It comes with (or it used to) a variety of tips. However the micro-usb adapter tips DO fail quickly, so when you're recharging something you have to put a weight on it or position it just right and make sure it doesn't move. However, any USB-microusb cable will do to both charge the battery pack and to then charge your device (assuming your device uses microusb for charging), and by now most of us have multiple of these cables around. So just keep it in mind when you order it, while it does come with a huge variety of tips you can put on the end of the cable to charge, the microusb one at least will fail quickly. I just liked using the 4 inch cable it came with, less room in my bag, but I'll have to start using a longer cable.

Posted on Apr 26, 2013 3:25:10 PM PDT
Fred Lim says:
The customer service is non-existent. I emailed them re: the faulty adapter to charge the unit and it took 2 emails before they responded with this:

On Mar 27, 2013, at 2:46 PM, POWERGEN <[e-mail address removed]> wrote:
> Hi,
> Please let us know your shipping address for replacement connectors.
> Thanks

After I sent my shipping address, I haven't heard anything back from them. I sent them 2 more emails to their company email address and the 3rd to Amazon directly but still no reply.

I would never buy their products again!

Posted on Jun 24, 2013 8:07:27 PM PDT
Peter says:
Ziotek ZT1311551 HC1 7.5-Inch USB 2.0 A Male to B Micro Cable
I bought this cable- It's the perfect length to have the pack and my phone together, without any excess cable to get in the way.

Posted on Aug 13, 2013 5:36:38 PM PDT
Well I'm must say this is a very compelling review. When I first looked at this item and saw some 1,300+ reviews with a net of over 4 1/2 stars I figured this was a slam dunk and as safe of a buy as it gets.

Matt, I'm sorry you had the hassles you did but want to thank you for sharing your poor customer service experience with this company. I hope some folks from the company reads your reviews and the related comments and realize that they're loosing money because they're ignoring a problem the seemingly should be relatively easy for them to fix. They've probably had a lot of success selling these because of the highly positive reviews and lost sight of what's really important; listening to and keeping their customers happy. I don't want to do business with any company that doesn't make that it's primary goal, irregardless of how good their product may be.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 14, 2013 7:08:16 PM PDT
JustinA says:
Keep in mind if you buy through Amazon they have an excellent return policy!
‹ Previous 1 Next ›