1.0 out of 5 stars Dissapointed, September 19, 2012
This review is from: Marshmallow Madness!: Dozens of Puffalicious Recipes (Hardcover)
I got this for my 40th from my mother-in-law. As I go over the hill, I have found myself more and more interested in pastry and the baking field. Last March, I visited Vegas and there was this amazing marshmallow shop there and upon returning home, I added this book to my wish list. When it turned up wrapped, I was pretty excited. I really wanted to like this book. I think Shauna is cute and I have visited her blog quite a few times, so I am a little baffled at the book (and the reviews---seriously what am I missing).

Frankly, the recipes in theory are great and I rarely write bad reviews so I feel bad. Unfortunately, the marshmallows don't cure correctly and the very basic vanilla marshmallow was weird in texture. I don't know if it is because of the technique to coat the pan or what, but they were so weird. Soggy. Some of the marshmallows were too soft, some were too hard. Some just became bizarre right when I cut them. I only got through vanilla, margarita and bubble gum, but I can tell you three was enough.

To make matters worse, the sugar syrup turned hard in my cabinet after two days and I had to pry the mason jar with much strength to unhinge it from my cabinet. If you follow directions in a recipe you shouldn't be like,wtf. Some marshmallows turned out hard, some soft, some just didn't make the full amount stated. I think this book could be a fabulous point of reference for flavoring, but in terms of marshmallow making for home cooks, it wasn't for me.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 1 customer

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-5 of 5 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Sep 20, 2012 11:07:33 AM PDT
Shauna says:
Hi Bonnie, I'm so sorry to hear that the recipes haven't been a success for you--I hope I can help you out! I am a little confused at the note about having the sugar syrup in a mason jar in your cabinet--the hot syrup should always go immediately from the stovetop to the electric mixer and is not meant to be stored for any length of time. Doing so would definitely make all the recipes come out wonky. If you could provide me with a little more information about how you're going about the recipes, I'd be happy to offer some tips. Feel free to e-mail me at shauna@shaunasever.com . Thanks!

Posted on Oct 19, 2012 4:12:51 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 19, 2012 4:13:39 PM PDT
JT says:
Hello, I used to be a professional baker & found that using cane sugar yields consistent results -- sugar derived from beets will give inconsistent results, especially with candy making. Could this possibly be the culprit?

Posted on Nov 1, 2012 3:58:43 PM PDT
Amy N. Kelly says:
I've had the same issue of soggy marshmallows following the recipes from this book. I have made several different marshmallow recipes in the past and this has never been an issue until following the recipes in this book. I'm so disappointing that I can't trust the recipes to produce edible marshmallows. They end up very spongy and they become soggy immediately upon cutting them. I think from now on I'll just use the cookbook as an idea source and modify my trusty vanilla marshmallow recipe (from Martha Stewart).

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 11, 2012 6:47:51 PM PST
Shauna says:
Amy, so sorry to hear this! But since this is happening with every recipe you try and it sounds so extreme, it is likely due to underwhipping the marshmallow batter. Mixer strengths and speeds vary, so beyond avoiding marshmallow making on humid or rainy days, my first tip would be to try whipping the batter a few minutes more on the highest setting and making sure the bowl is cool all over before turning the batter into the pan. Troubleshooting tips like this one can be found in the frontmatter of the book. Hope that helps.

Posted on Oct 8, 2013 11:39:37 AM PDT
Bunny says:
Overheating the syrup is another reason why marshmallows fail. If you follow the instructions in the book before freelancing, they instructions are bombproof. Try using a better thermometer. I use a digital Taylor, $20
‹ Previous 1 Next ›

Review Details

Item

4.6 out of 5 stars (68 customer reviews)

$16.95 $13.51