4.0 out of 5 stars Greatest Value in Color Laser, December 21, 2010
This review is from: Brother HL4150CDN Color Laser Printer with Duplex and Networking (Office Product)
This is the 4th color laser I've owned. The first two were Konica-Minolta. They were among the first affordable ones in the market (still expensive) and one of them, Magicolor 2300dl, does a decent job considering the technology of its time. The second and smaller one, Magicolor 2400, died in a couple of year and was slow. The third one is HP 2025, which is much smaller (of course still much bigger than color inkject printers.) and it prints duplex. But it takes an hour to print a full page double-sided color brochure. Even though the color output is vibrant, the speed is miserable. So if I want 10 copies of full color image, I have to let it print over night. I will use these printers until their drum lives end, and will sell or give away instead of spending more money on them.

One main feature I want out of a color laser is duplex printing. I decided to try Brother HL-4150CDN because it was sold for $250 on Amazon.com (surprised to see the price went up to $370 after I bought). It has duplex printing and claimed to be fast. Well, it is fast, the fastest of all color printers I have every owned. Even though it is loud when it prints, you hear only a few seconds of noise and then it's completely quiet.

One star was removed because of the color. It is dry, unlike the shiny output from the HP. I don't really mind the dry color. The real problem is the colors being too dark. I tried some adjustment on the configuration and it has improved but still darker than the original, or HP output. That also means I am consuming more toner. I've got it for a week, and I don't think I have printed so much, but the yellow toner is show half left.

I am trying to figure out color calibration, which I've never needed to do with my previous printers. I hope it helps. There is a toner saving mode, I can't find how to set it yet, but I hope that helps. Maybe at the toner saving mode it will give me a lighter but correct colors.

--Update---
The yellow color showing half full was not correct. It shows that way when you look at the printer admin page from the browser, but the digital window on the printer shows full. I did a calibration, but it appears to be perfectly calibrated from the factory. I set the printer to "Toner Saving" mode and set the frequency to "Low" (I don't know what this means). Then the color has lightened but still a little darker than the HP out put.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 1 customer

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-8 of 8 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Apr 25, 2012 6:42:33 PM PDT
Thanks for your review. Can you please tell me how many color/black and white pages you print with the regular or high capacity toners? (approximately and also what was usually on those pages? Photos? Text?)

Are you still using the printer after 2 years? Happy?

Thanks!

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 25, 2012 9:01:33 PM PDT
M633 says:
I am happy with the printer for the price and features. I rather have a better one, of course. The color is a little too deep and can't be adjusted. As for the toner, I haven't been counting the pages. I found out the toner reset trick, so I reset them until each toner becomes faint. After reset, the toner continues to last for a long time; I would say an equal length of them (so it seems that the toners empty message comes on when they are only half empty). You can get to the reset menu by simultaneously pressing cancel and secure with the toner door open.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 26, 2012 12:12:16 PM PDT
Yes, I know about that reset feature and I guess that's the main reason I'm considering Brother color printer. Not sure if any other brand has the toner reset feature.
I was just looking at some $300 HP printer at Staples, printed a test page and you can tell it's a lower resolution (600dpi?) and the colors were too bright too. So I guess they all have similar problem at this price range. I think Brother's test page was a little better then this HP when I tested it earlier. It was Brother HL-3075CW. I'm sure it also depends on what kind of paper you're using.

Thank you very much for your quick reply! I'll mark your post as useful.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 12, 2012 3:56:39 PM PDT
The reset feature is common on other printers but reusing dirty toner will reduce the life expectancy of the drum (producing fuzzy printing when it goes) and can be more expensive in the long run. I find it ironic that the competition for color laser printers is between two 3-year old models. Clearly not a big market.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 23, 2013 8:08:22 PM PDT
Cat Mann says:
So, Tuscon Shopper, you are saying that there is a way to remove a laser printer's residual toner (the toner scraped off the drum (that didn't stick to the paper) before the fusing process, and people attempt to re-use it? Wouldn't that mean you needed to tear apart the receptacle? Sounds like a very messy procedure.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 24, 2013 4:07:07 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jul 24, 2013 4:09:22 PM PDT
Dear Cat Mann: The reset feature is used to reset counting pages for a new cartridge. It is typically a good measure for when the residual toner has become if not emptied at least too dirty to use (usually 4,000 pages). Often people reset the counter without replacing the cartridge to "get every last drop" (no scraping or tear down required) but studies show using cartridges past their prime will reduce the lifetime of the more expensive drum (to press the powder to the page) and fuser (to melt the powder to the page) with excessive scratching (producing lines on output) or gear wear (causing drum error alerts and even more damage). These parts typically work on the order of 100,000 pages.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 16, 2013 2:34:50 AM PDT
Frumious says:
Let's say that by using the reset feature I cut the life of the drum and fuser in half to 50,000 copies. That would be fine given my frequency of use. I only print a couple thousand color pages a year (I print my black and white work on an inexpensive B&W printer). At that rate, the drum and fuser would last 20 years. I won't have the printer that long.

Posted on Mar 16, 2014 6:28:58 PM PDT
C.P. says:
If you want a shiny output, use a shiny paper.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›

Review Details

Item

4.1 out of 5 stars (194 customer reviews)

$399.99 $351.34