5.0 out of 5 stars Well designed and solidly built surge protector, September 4, 2009
This review is from: Monster Power HD PowerCenter 850 with GreenPower (Discontinued by Manufacturer) (Electronics)
I've been using Monster products for my home theater system for several years. I can argue that my A/V system sounds better but sonic improvements are hard to quantify. To my ears, at least, my system produces music that sounds cleaner, brighter and more transparent. There are fewer transient distortions now because signal transmission is more stable. Blu-ray audio such as Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD Master Audio sound especially clear and immersive.

There have been other tangible improvements in several different areas. The speaker wire is sturdier and designed to be flat so I haven't had problems with damaged wire. The somewhat pricey gold-tipped flexible cables that connect various components - such as my universal DVD Audio/Video/SACD player - to my A/V receiver never suffer from static charge build-up, oxidation or damage, are much easier to manipulate and have been trouble free since I began using the very same set more than 5 years ago. The gold-tipped banana plugs are terrific: they are sturdily constructed, and they also boast a lack of static charge build-up or oxidation and there are no more occurrences of damaged speaker wire tips shorting out my system, something that was once a frequent (and potentially very costly) problem.

My satisfaction with the Monster products I've used induced me to purchase their Monster Power HD PowerCenter 850 and I have been most pleased with the results. The first thing that attracted me is the spacious design of the outlets which have a generous allotment of space between them. Recent struggles with having to jam power plugs into a crowded and cramped surge protector make me applaud this feature. I consider this design improvement over my last protector sufficient repayment for the purchase.

But there are other features that I've found extremely helpful. When the protector is triggered by an electrical event a healthy (though not obnoxious) alarm alerts me. I was always the last to know whenever my old surge protector was triggered. The PowerCenter 850 effectively dampens the energy usage of all connected equipment in stand-bye mode. This saves electricity, lowers one's bills a bit and finally helped to alleviate the gnawing guilt I used to experience whenever I felt that electrical warmth wafting upwards from my A/V system.

The plug contacts are 24-carat gold so once again there is no oxidation or static charge build-up, a feature I've come to appreciate over the years. The fairly robust light on the protector makes it easier to find in the dark so there's no more fumbling around amongst all that expensive electrical gear. And when I switch off my A/V receiver all of the ancillary components - such as the blu-ray player and subwoofer - are switched off as well. Turn my A/V receiver on and the rest of my connected equipment are all turned on too. This is a feature that offers me a great deal of convenience since I'm always forgetting to turn things off.

The PowerCenter is sturdily made and simple to use. There are surge protectors that cost much more but this one meets my needs. I have found this to be a worthwhile purchase and a good surge protector.

Mike Birman

Be the first person to comment on this review.

[Add comment]