5.0 out of 5 stars Harris Never Disappoints YOu, February 22, 2010
This review is from: Just Too Good to Be True: A Novel (Paperback)
The heading across the book said a New York Times Bestseller, I expected that, having read E. Lynn Harris novels and becoming a fan. The News & Observers stated "Steamy, funny, and real". I expected that and the words defined why I loved his writing. The title, I found myself repeating as I got deeper and deeper into the pages that held my attention from the beginning to the end. I enjoyed this read, as I knew I would. The plots, the web of intrigue and how it all came together in the end is what I yearn for as an author and a reader.

Great choice for any book club discussion. There are so many angles, characters and issues to discuss. A mother's love, how deep; was Carmyn protective, or just overboarad? Her story, though sad led her through so many levels of destruction. The lost of the man she loved due to the terrible lie told by Daphne, the jealous ex-girlfriend. The lost of the parents she loved, the old school parents, who allow for no mistakes as they often make the biggest mistakes of their lives. The lost of trust for fear that the pain of the past covered her as a cloud waiting to burst and rain on her life. As it did, for when we don't close chapters of our lives, no matter how difficult, they seem to add on making our book of life unbearable and forever a hushed secret.

I admired Carmyn's character although she had issues she had determination and strength. She had her weakened moments, maybe the result of guilt or maybe the desire to correct wrongs that she had not revealed. Taking on the friendship with May-Jean, a piece of work, and Shelby the girl whose life was mirroring hers. She learned to love again, let go and let be, it was late but she learned her son had to experience hurt, pain and love.

Barrett, Raquel, lived through pain too. She emerged from hurt, geared herself to hurt others to gain what she smoothed over as a necessity for her brother. She was seeking a healing in all the wrong places.

I was engrossed with how they all knew each other and yet they didn't know until Carmyn's cloud burst of rain fell on each of them. Brady, the young man who was too sheltered. He broke the vows set by his mother, based on her errors and pain, but he was chained to them mentally. Something I don't know if young men of today would allow. There love was special but in a peculiar way it hurt them both.

Harris did it again, and I have always read his books and ended them saying.....Wow. The possibilities of the story is what held me captive, especially in the world of sports, surrounded by love and those who love money. I could only wonder where Mr. Harris was headed as he once again brought in some of our favorite characters from his other novels......keeping the reader on the edge yearning for more.

Be the first person to comment on this review.

[Add comment]