1.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely pathetic!!, November 14, 2012
This review is from: Microsoft Windows 8 Pro - Upgrade [Old Version] (Software)
I have bought every O/S, every version of windows and almost every version of office that Microsoft has ever released (multiple copies every time too), BUT this is the absolute worst excuse for an advancement I have ever seen. Now if you are new to the whole computer market, it may look impressive to you (maybe if you are like 10 yrs old), or if you have a low end piece of hardware like a tablet it may be ok. If you have a high-end desktop pc though, it is total garbage.
From an email "app" that doesn't allow you to create or delete mail folders without logging straight into your webmail, to not even being able to download pop3 mail (the most used mail protocol out there) at all. What is the point of even having a mail app if I have to log into my email thru a browser to be able to create or delete a folder, empty my trash folder or purge my spam folder items. The calendar app is ok (mainly to me because I use google calendar and it will access and let you create or delete entries in your google calendar).
Where Windows 7 was intuitive, Microsoft has completely put the pc back to pre Windows 95 days imho. There is a desktop mode (which in the customer preview still used aero effects), but in the final release it now looks like something that is from a very poor version of Linux. Gone are the beautiful effects and aero glass of Windows 7, only to be replaced with a very flat, bland looking desktop you would expect on a very cheap tablet or as I said minimalist theme from a bad Linux implementation.
Searching is possible, once you figure out how to (Windows key +Q), and it does allow you to choose from installed apps, software, the app store, etc.
Microsoft claims there are amazing speed increases, but with 32gb of ram, a core i7 and ssd, I have yet to notice that it is any faster than Windows 7. Your Windows 7 apps will run on Windows 8, or so Microsoft claims, yet a simple java app that never crashed in Windows 7, now crashes often.
For those of us that like to actually see what is going on with our updates and antivirus, Microsoft has hidden it away like it is some top secret task that no user should see. Innovation is a good thing, but when that innovation has you dumbing things down below the aptitude of a kindergartener it's almost insulting. And as for the metro mail app...that whole dev team should be fired. If I wanted to use a mail app like that stupid iPad mail, I'd use my iPad.
If the desktop at least had some bling to it maybe it would be acceptable, but as of right now it just looks like a low end tablet app thrown in for the people that would have complained with not having a desktop.
I know that Microsoft THINKS they are going to make a fortune off the push to the lightweight tablet market, but if they lose their desktop market to an all together different O/S then they will have defeated themselves from the start. As a matter of fact, this will probably be the last time I ever buy an O/S from them.
This install was a clean install of Windows 8 Pro onto a 3 month old 240gb SSD. My tech level is expert (Former Sr. Engineer for IBM Global Services Division). For the first time in my life using a computer is depressing thanks to Windows 8.
I plan on returning the unused copies I purchased, but am unfortunately stuck with the one that has been opened.
This software was not purchased thru my Amazon account.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 1 customer

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-8 of 8 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 14, 2012 9:00:48 PM PST
shane says:
The most well said review to date.

Posted on Nov 15, 2012 6:40:24 AM PST
Chad says:
While I agree Windows 8 is rough around the edges there are quite a few improvements from windows 7..

New task manager (shows ram/cpu/ HD i/o/Network usage per program running) New file transfer information window showing the throughput on a graph. And actually the windows 8 "start menu" or tile interface is actually pretty cool once you get used to it. The charms menu and windows 8 menu's on the sides is pretty neat and quick access for those items. In the windows 8 interface Watching a netflix movie, checking weather, including the snap left or right feature so its always view able is also pretty neat. You hit the windows 8 or move to the lower left, click "start" box. and click on the netflix icon for example, along with the real time information slides that cycle through.

All my major hardware items have updated drivers, the install process goes off without a hitch. The interface is actually much simplier, even had to tell someone, ok click start menu, all programs, now go to this program etc? Now its click the windows 8 or click the lower left corner when the start box appears. now type in the program you want, just start typing. Or go to the charms men on the right side of the screen, click on settings etc.

I think once the world gets used to this we will all wonder what we did before windows 8, granted it will probably be a decade before everyone is using something like it. While I do think we should of had the option to keep the old start menu and disable the windows 8 interfaces they had to use their leverage that is windows in order to push tablet and phone sales which is the future.

I have no doubt windows 8 will continue to improve and I am very interested to see future apps and tools created for the windows 8 interface. Its just like the app store for IOS. Apps that we would use for everday use like web browsers, email clients etc are definately not ready yet in this month old OS. But I have a feeling it will get better very quickly.

Just my experience so far.

Posted on Nov 15, 2012 10:57:23 AM PST
Deimos says:

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 15, 2012 10:57:49 AM PST
Deimos says:
You must have only read this one....

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 15, 2012 4:43:28 PM PST
[Deleted by the author on Nov 15, 2012 11:07:44 PM PST]

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 15, 2012 6:47:58 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 15, 2012 6:49:18 PM PST
Consortitude says:
I am hardly a "self-proclaimed" expert sir. I am actually a retired Sr. Engineer from IBM Gobal Services Division. Before you start throwing around remarks about my expertise, let's see the degrees, certifications and experience you have under your belt. Instead of being a fanboi of a clearly sloppy OS and GUI design, look at the other reviews and ratings. Where most of Microsoft's past OSes have rated more positive than negative reviews, this one fails to live up to par. This OS thus far lives at or below the levels of Windows ME and the opening days of Vista. And I have spent more than 10 minutes with it, I have been using it since the first public release (which up to the final at least had aero). Everyone expects to see bugs and design flaws during the beta stages, but the items I mentioned should have been addressed long before beta ended and the product was sent to the vendors. Maybe for people that walk around with their head stuck in a text app or watching streaming youtube videos all the time this so-called OS is fine, but for those that actually use a computer, it is not.

Posted on Nov 16, 2012 3:11:43 PM PST
Harrison says:
I feel your pain. I put this on my laptop and now I kind of dread using it because I know I made a mistake putting Windows 8 on it for pretty much the same reasons why you hate it

Posted on Nov 24, 2012 2:20:15 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 24, 2012 2:21:39 PM PST
brainout says:
Oh dear God, I'm praying IBM will get into commercializing Linux and make applications which can replace what MS has done. Its SmartSuite is a contender, but I'm not yet done testing it. Linux would be a great commercial OS, in the sense that you CAN pay for it, and the pricing would cover the work done on it; that you CAN pay for updates by the vendor, and the pricing would cover work done on it.

Linux being open source doesn't necessarily translate into much pirating, since it's hard to tweak. Besides, an application with part open source and part proprietary programming, would allow tweaking by the user or under support by the vendor, so the needed TRANSPARENCY (something MS always lacks) is there for customization.

If you can ask the IBM 'gods' to do this, would you? Thank you for your great review, and for your time!
‹ Previous 1 Next ›

Review Details

Item

3.1 out of 5 stars (2,163 customer reviews)

$199.99 $83.50