3.0 out of 5 stars Oif! Some assembly required indeed, January 15, 2010
This review is from: Nautilus R514 Recumbent Exercise Bike (Sports)
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I was really excited to receive the Nautilus R514 Recumbent Exercise Bike, but I can't believe how much of a chore it was to put together. My other exercise bike is a Schwinn and it was much less trouble. The problem with the Nautilus is that there are many addenda to the assembly instructions that are printed on separate papers and just stuck into the manual. If you aren't paying attention and lose or misplace one of those loose pieces of paper, it can really screw up the assembly process. It is also especially annoying that in order to assemble it I had to start by disassembling pieces. I don't normally consider assembly when I am decided on how to rate a product, but in this case I really have to. It took me several hours to assemble it by myself, and I'm pretty good as assembling things.

As for the bike itself, it's pretty good, but I don't know that it is worth the cost. The price on this model is around $200 more than my Schwinn, but the design and construction are very similar. I didn't find that this model was any sturdier than the Schwinn, either. It does have a couple of advantages to my Schwinn: (1) you don't have to step over the bar to get into the seat, it isn't a huge advantage but I did notice it was easier, and (2) it has a fan, of course I can just as easily put a fan next to my other bike. It also has what I consider a pretty annoying disadvantage, no book holder! I'm sure I can create a make-shift book holder to use while I am on the Nautilus, but it is such a stupid oversight. I can't remember the last time I saw an exercise bike that didn't have a place to set a book or magazine.

One thing I like a lot about this bike is that it comes with a heart rate strap and can read your rate directly from it. That's a lot more convenient and comfortable then using the little handlebars. It's no $200 worth of convenience though.

I think this bike is fine, it is effective, and it is well-made. But there just isn't anything about it that stands out and makes me feel like it is worth the extra money.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-4 of 4 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jan 29, 2010 2:38:44 PM PST
Potamos says:
What model is your Schwinn, so we know what you're comparing it to? Thanks!

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 2, 2010 6:28:08 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 2, 2010 6:43:09 PM PST
D. T. Uno says:
You make a good point about the extra $$. when comparing, i noticed it has a 10yr warranty on the frame and 2yrs on parts and 1yr on the electronics. Did get an extended warranty from Nautilus? Do you think you would? How is it holding up so far... any squeeks, clunks or broken parts?

Posted on Feb 20, 2010 7:23:05 AM PST
D. Solomon says:
you can buy a plastic book rack! most gyms have them and at home get one with a cup holder!

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 11, 2012 11:18:53 AM PDT
Susan Bewley says:
Putting together this bike was about the same as any other piece of exercise equipment, at least that is what my husband said. Most of the book racks you see in gyms are purchased separately. I'll be honest, I just hold my books when I exercise. It seems like something extra that can cause an injury. I've had this bike for nearly a year and a half now and it is still working perfect, with my husband and myself using it multiple times a week. Best use of our wedding money ever!
‹ Previous 1 Next ›

Review Details

Item

4.2 out of 5 stars (161 customer reviews)

Out of stock