2.0 out of 5 stars High end features, low end quality!, December 5, 2011
This review is from: Onkyo TX-NR809 THX Certified 7.2-Channel Network A/V Receiver (Discontinued by Manufacturer) (Electronics)
Head this warring, it may look like a good deal, just be prepared for multiple tries to get a unit that works.

I bought this product during the "Cyber Monday" sales for a good price. Unfortunately the product I received was defective. This was confirmed through a brief phone call with a very nice support person, and this is where my experience went from bad to terrible. I had tried everything to get the center channel on the receiver to work, but to no avail, at the request of the phone tech support I tried resetting the receiver. It did not enable sound from the Center channel; it did however cause the loss of sound to the left surround port directly below the center channel ports. I also attempted to contact Onkyo through their email support, over 48hrs later I received a reply with the same information as the phone technical support.

The phone technician recommended I return the product as a defective unit. This was in lieu of performing a warranty repair for a 2 day old product which could take 2-3 weeks! After waiting on hold for over 40 mins for the warranty department I turned in the towel and shipped the received back at my expense. I am now awaiting a replacement product <fingers crossed this one will have been tested before it leaves the factory>

I would like to take a few moments and recommend some policy changes for Onkyo support (for paying customers with a Serial Numbered product). If there is no intention for responding within a timely manner (24hrs) to service requests, please send an automated message stating that a service request has been received and a response will be forthcoming in the next few days due to high volume. Please do not leave a customer questioning if the request was submitted properly or the web based submission form was working at all. Please enable tracking of all service requests (email or otherwise) and documenting of all service conversations to the Onkyo website user account by serial number of the products registered by the user. Please ensure that user accounts are protected with encryption for all sensitive information passing between the client and server, for example: user name, password, real name, email, phone number and address should be protected for privacy of users.

This experience is very disappointing I am beside myself that a $1,000 MSRP receiver can be shipped from the factory defective. (The box was in fine shape and no external shipping damage was observed). Based on this experience with support and how defective products are handled by Onkyo, I will no longer be recommending Onkyo receivers to friends, family and coworkers, and will continue to review Onkyo products negatively. When a support person identifies a defective product an immediate response would be "we will replace the product at no cost to you", followed by sending a new product with 2nd day air with a return label to send the defective product back using a credit card hold to cover the cost of the second unit until the defective unit is received by Onkyo for an autopsy. This does two things, shows respect for customer's time and money, as well as respect for Onkyo products and quantity. Defective unit should be few and far between and Onkyo's quality control should want defective products back as quickly as possible to perform root cause analysis in order to prevent further defective products from leaving the factory.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 5 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 21 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Feb 13, 2012 6:30:36 AM PST
ffabric says:
I sure wish that people (All) would show the actual price they paid. Its funny that they say got a "good price", But better if they said the actual price. Better comparisons for all of us.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 31, 2012 3:33:32 PM PDT
S. maxton says:
That's why you don't buy on Amazon...Should have bought from the local retailer that you went and auditioned it at and you would get a new one right away.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 21, 2012 10:22:43 PM PDT
I've got to say, Amazon has gone above and beyond in replacing defective products for me. Notice that the review didn't say that he discussed this issue with Amazon...

In reply to an earlier post on May 12, 2012 10:06:43 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 12, 2012 10:08:08 AM PDT
R. Adams says:
I have to agree with Mr. Petersen. Generally problems with consumer electronics will be immediate or apparent in a very short period of time; days or weeks. In my experience Amazon has always been terrific with returns within the 30 day time period. If the product is defective they pay for return shipping. They will exchange the item or give you a full refund.

That said, I have been reading a number of horror stories about Onkyo customer service recently. It's too bad as their products have enjoyed such a great reputation over the years. Hopefully things will improve and that the OP had the issue resolved satisfactorily.

Posted on May 24, 2012 5:10:47 AM PDT
I purchased this unit brand new from an alternate website in January, 2012. For the first 4 months, it operated FLAWLESSLY! But this month, the unit has started to hiccup and finally failed after I started to play the video game "Splatterhouse" on my PS3. I tried to call Onkyo Customer Service...sat on hold for 20 minutes only to be told that the center was closed (it was opened when I called) and to call back another day. I tried again the next day, but got no where. Their customer service, in my experience, leaves a lot to be desired. So, I opted to take the unit to the local (i.e., 35 miles away) authorized repair facility. They diagnosed the probelm: 21 capacitors blown ($8.09), 1 medium capacitor blown ($3.09), 1 large capacitor blown ($4.59), a PCM board needing to be replaced ($11.49), and a bad resistor ($0.35) for a total cost of $27.61. How so many capacitors failed is BEYOND ME. Anyhow, luckily this thing comes with a standard 2-year parts & labor warranty, so I only had to spend gas money to and from this repair place (total cost=$40).

Overall, I LOVE the unit WHEN IT WORKS! So, if you want Onkyo, you may be lucky enough to get one fantastic unit. Basically, they're like laptops...if they don't fail within the first 6 months, then you can expect that it will be fine for the next 10 years. Sadly, I have one that's failed. So...we'll see how long this repair holds up. Quite honestly, I used to LOVE Onkyo...but this experience with the TX-NR809 has soured me. And I thought I got a great deal paying under $700 (with free shipping) for a new unit. Go figure.

In reply to an earlier post on May 24, 2012 7:12:58 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 24, 2012 7:13:18 AM PDT
R. Adams says:
Thanks very much for your review Dejan. Onkyo used to have some of the best QC, but now it certainly appears that has slipped. It sounds like the repairs covered a lot of what can go wrong so hopefully yours will work perfectly from now on.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 20, 2012 3:01:53 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jul 20, 2012 3:02:53 PM PDT
David Martin says:
Audio stopped be passed by my Onkyo and I called Product Setup/Support. Upon decribing the symptoms, I noted the tech made the statement, it could be 'bad capacitors'. Usually when a tech makes a comment like this early in a diagnosis, it indicates a systemic product fault. We tried the CD/DVD + Power off 'reset' and the unit continued to fail when powered back up. Tech advised me to send it in for repair. Waiting to see what that will cost on a 3 year old unit.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 19, 2012 8:31:44 AM PDT
Sean Brady says:
Worng. His mistake was not returning the thing to AMAZOn and getting a full, prompt refund including tax, or a replacement unit.

NEVER return a new defective unit to the manufacturer. You bought it from AMAzon. let them take it back. They will!

Posted on Oct 21, 2012 3:48:52 AM PDT
Jailer 58 says:
I have experienced difficulty similar to you. Also with returning a defective unit. At first, everything seemed right on track, returning my receiver with a whopping 4 hours of play time. The return shipping box arrived fast. I began packaging the unit when I noticed they forgot to include the return shipping label. So round

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 12, 2012 9:34:01 PM PST
Adam Carlson says:
No kidding! I don't get these people who don't use the 30-day return policy.

And if that doesn't work, dispute the charge through your credit-card company!
‹ Previous 1 2 3 Next ›