2.0 out of 5 stars High end features, low end quality!, December 5, 2011
This review is from: Onkyo TX-NR809 THX Certified 7.2-Channel Network A/V Receiver (Discontinued by Manufacturer) (Electronics)
Head this warring, it may look like a good deal, just be prepared for multiple tries to get a unit that works.

I bought this product during the "Cyber Monday" sales for a good price. Unfortunately the product I received was defective. This was confirmed through a brief phone call with a very nice support person, and this is where my experience went from bad to terrible. I had tried everything to get the center channel on the receiver to work, but to no avail, at the request of the phone tech support I tried resetting the receiver. It did not enable sound from the Center channel; it did however cause the loss of sound to the left surround port directly below the center channel ports. I also attempted to contact Onkyo through their email support, over 48hrs later I received a reply with the same information as the phone technical support.

The phone technician recommended I return the product as a defective unit. This was in lieu of performing a warranty repair for a 2 day old product which could take 2-3 weeks! After waiting on hold for over 40 mins for the warranty department I turned in the towel and shipped the received back at my expense. I am now awaiting a replacement product <fingers crossed this one will have been tested before it leaves the factory>

I would like to take a few moments and recommend some policy changes for Onkyo support (for paying customers with a Serial Numbered product). If there is no intention for responding within a timely manner (24hrs) to service requests, please send an automated message stating that a service request has been received and a response will be forthcoming in the next few days due to high volume. Please do not leave a customer questioning if the request was submitted properly or the web based submission form was working at all. Please enable tracking of all service requests (email or otherwise) and documenting of all service conversations to the Onkyo website user account by serial number of the products registered by the user. Please ensure that user accounts are protected with encryption for all sensitive information passing between the client and server, for example: user name, password, real name, email, phone number and address should be protected for privacy of users.

This experience is very disappointing I am beside myself that a $1,000 MSRP receiver can be shipped from the factory defective. (The box was in fine shape and no external shipping damage was observed). Based on this experience with support and how defective products are handled by Onkyo, I will no longer be recommending Onkyo receivers to friends, family and coworkers, and will continue to review Onkyo products negatively. When a support person identifies a defective product an immediate response would be "we will replace the product at no cost to you", followed by sending a new product with 2nd day air with a return label to send the defective product back using a credit card hold to cover the cost of the second unit until the defective unit is received by Onkyo for an autopsy. This does two things, shows respect for customer's time and money, as well as respect for Onkyo products and quantity. Defective unit should be few and far between and Onkyo's quality control should want defective products back as quickly as possible to perform root cause analysis in order to prevent further defective products from leaving the factory.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 5 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 11-20 of 21 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on Dec 4, 2012 5:29:54 AM PST
D. Jones says:
Did you end up getting the unit repaired? Many of us out there with Onkyo receivers are experiencing the "blown" capacitor problems.

Posted on Dec 14, 2012 9:45:39 PM PST
Jeremy says:
First off, it's an electronic product. No manufacturer intentionally ships a defective unit, but with the complexity of such equipment as a modern AV receiver it can happen. It's a shame you didn't opt to avail yourself of Amazon's stellar customer service - though I have to admit, I'm a little perplexed that you indicate buying this from Amazon over Black Friday but decided to go through the manufacturer during the return period. I find it suspect that your comment doesn't show the standard "Amazon Verified Purchase" next to it.

If you bought a new TV from a local store and it was defective when you got it home and connected, would your first instinct be to contact the manufacturer knowing it will likely be a lengthy process to have it repaired, or simply exchange it? I have had one defective product in my history of purchases from Amazon: a bad PC motherboard. I contacted Amazon, and they sent me a replacement next day air (Saturday delivery, at that) with a return label for the defective unit.

Posted on Dec 19, 2012 12:24:49 PM PST
Tuan Anh says:
Lost sound is a very common problem of Onkyo receivers from low to high end. Even worse, this company only have 2 service centers in the whole US continent. Imagine that you have to send about 40 to 50 pounds of electronic device to another state thousand miles away and wait for 2 to 3 week to get it back but not sure if it will not happen again. Well, the best way is to say no to Onkyo. It cost me a thousand dollars to learn this lesson. Good luck.

Posted on Dec 28, 2012 9:29:40 AM PST
Wayne says:
Why are you blaming the product because you had to ship it back at your expense? That's not the product's fault. If you had bought it at Amazon, you'd know that for defective items, Amazon pays the return shipping. They give you a prepaid label. They even offer free UPS pickup. Amazon sends out the replacement right away. They do not wait until the defective unit comes back before they send a replacement, and they do not bill you for the replacement and issue a refund later. They don't charge for the replacement at all, unless you fail to return the defective product within 30 days of contacting them. They don't put a credit card hold on anything either.

Amazon customers consider it an advantage that they DON'T have to deal with what you went through with a two day old product because Amazon will handle it without hassle, and customers don't have to pay for shipping, they don't have to wait for the manufacturer to receive it and fix it when they get to it, and they don't have to wait for the manufacturer to return it at their leisure before the customer can use it again.

You said you bought this during a Cyber Monday sale. I realize that there is a setting to turn off the "Amazon verified purchase" statement in reviews, (although I don't see why anybody would do that, and in your case you reviewed a verified purchase the very next day) and I realize that some people pay for return shipping because they don't know better. But I can't make sense of your review. You said he recommended returning the product in lieu of something that would take much longer (2-3 weeks) and you said you sent the product back (as opposed to sending it for repair) but you don't say how. If you use Amazon's on-line system and put "defective" as your reason for return, it never asks for return shipping to be paid by you and offers an option of replacement or refund. A customer support rep would have done the same thing.

I appreciate that you gave this product a review and it's very valuable for customers to know about your experience. But you said you will not recommend Onkyo products, and will continue to give them bad reviews. Why would you buy another product just to give it a bad review? Or do you plan to review products you never own? How could you continue to give them bad reviews if you will no longer give them your business? I don't want to question your honesty without giving you a chance to respond, so I'll wait for your response before I can figure out what to make of your review.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 28, 2012 9:36:08 AM PST
Wayne says:
Actually it would probably delay things to do that. Amazon will send out a new one right away, and I'll typically receive replacement items before I would have had the opportunity to get to the retail store, as would be the case for people who might wait for the weekend to return it. With Amazon there's nothing to lug back to the store.

There's nothing wrong with buying it from a local store, and if you audition it there, you should buy it there even if Amazon is a bit cheaper. Likewise, if you use Amazon's resources to read reviews and get product information, only to buy it at a local store and possibly get a price match or pay slightly more for your convenience, you are being unfair to Amazon. People complain about on-line companies taking away sales from local companies but it cuts both ways. If you are telling people not to buy from Amazon, why are you shopping here?

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 28, 2012 9:45:16 AM PST
Wayne says:
That's not necessarily true. I take horror stories seriously, although yours doesn't quite rank as a horror. I bought a Sony TV because of horror stories I read about Samsung. Even though they were a very small percentage of the reviews, I figured that in the very unlikely event of a failure, I'd rather not have the risk for a high ticket item. When HDTV was a newer technology, prices were much higher and I didn't want that risk.

My Sony failed after 17 months, and the cost of the display would have been more than the TV was worth. But Sony sent somebody out within a couple of days. Unfortunately the person got into an accident on the way over, but offered to have a different authorized repair facility fix the problem so I would not have to wait until Monday. I decided to wait, and the repair person bent the rules a bit by ordering the replacement part ahead of time, (we were 100% sure of what the problem was) and verified the failure and fixed it immediately when he showed up.

So it does pay to take problems seriously, not all electronic devices fail within the typical period, and consumers have to judge for themselves how much hassle they might have to go though in the unlikely event of a failure. I'd be more willing to take the risk at today's price, but that's for each customer to decide.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 28, 2012 9:48:38 AM PST
Wayne says:
Your review apparently got cut off, but you can get the return shipping label on line, or have Amazon mail you one if you really need to or don't have a printer. You don't have to wait for a return shipping box. If you are the type of person who throws the original box out right away, your new unit will come with a box, and you don't have to return the old one before the new one arrives.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 28, 2012 9:55:29 AM PST
Wayne says:
The company's nearest service center is 350 miles from where I live, which is pretty bad. But there are five in my state. I checked another state and found five more. I haven't checked all states, but there are clearly far more than two of them. That doesn't help me or you though.

Posted on Aug 3, 2013 1:29:22 PM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Aug 3, 2013 1:30:12 PM PDT]

Posted on May 11, 2014 2:47:38 AM PDT
After reading a few of these reviews I'm not interested in buying any Onkyo products. I'm removing this item from my shopping cart.

Review Details