5.0 out of 5 stars Great for small lawns, September 17, 2003
By A Customer
This review is from: Black & Decker CMM1000 19-Inch 5 HP Cordless Mulching Mower with Rear Bag (Discontinued by Manufacturer) (Lawn & Patio)
After reading the Amazon reviews, I decided to order mine from my local hardware store. The extra [money] plus tax I spent on it prevented any damages from shipment (though only a few people mentioned that as a problem), AND included assembly and the initial battery charge! It was ready to use when I picked it up!
The first charge was BARELY enough to get me thru the 1st mowing, but I did have to stop and take a couple long breaks because I had just moved into my new home and projects were needing my attention constantly. However, since then I have finished all my mowings easily on a single charge.
The owner's manual (and websites) say(s) that it is safe to leave the mower on the charger when not in use, and in fact, recommends it. The included battery is much like your car's or UPS for your computer: it NEEDS to be fully charged at all times. Of course, when mowing, you are running it down, so be sure to put it on the charger if you take a long break or immediately after you finish mowing.
It takes me about 45 minutes to mow my lawn, if I go nonstop. The battery seems to have about a 50 minute capacity, before the gauge gets into the yellow. That is when, according to the manual, you should stop and let it charge up enough for you to finish. A 3-hour charge will get the battery charge back up to 75% of its maximum capacity, because it uses a 3-level charge (full strength for the first 3 hours or so, then it cuts back until it tops off, then the green light comes on and it goes into a safe trickle mode to prevent battery damage and keep it topped off until the next mowning).
The cut is great and the setup and maintenance couldn't be easier. The mulching quality is similar to that of a riding mower I used to use when I lived with my parents. If the grass gets thick/tall, it might leave a "line," but narrowing the cut swath seems to take care of it. I haven't mowed in very wet grass yet, so I can't tell if that causes a problem with the cut or battery life.
All in all, a very nice mower, and will stand up to any other 5hp mower. It's not much quieter, but it smells a lot better than gas, and starting it is E-A-S-Y. Not too hard to push, even though it isn't self-propelled.

Be the first person to comment on this review.

[Add comment]