Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Pink Floyd Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Coffee Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer showtimemulti showtimemulti showtimemulti  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

3.0 out of 5 stars Device continually loses it's wireless settings. (Updated), August 18, 2011
This review is from: LG BD670 3D Wireless Network Blu-ray Disc Player with Smart TV (Electronics)
The only problem I've had with this unit, is that it loses it's wireless settings 50% of the time after you turn it off and then turn it on a day later.

I'm an engineer. There's nothing wrong with the wireless network in my home.

Even if there was, and say the wireless network went up and down now and then, why why why doesn't this device remember the network and password you've spent time typing in on the on-screen keyboard and automatically reconnect ?

Instead, it prompts me that it isn't connected. I then re-select the Network (which it finds first time), and re-enter the password, and then it always connects sucessfully.

If the Network is there and available, why doesn't the box re-connect on it's own !!!!!

Seriously - do the engineers (and worse - the QA and management team) over in China who wrote this software think it's OK for a user to have to re-enter their networking credentials everytime they want to watch TV ? Imagine if you had to do this with your PC. At least on a PC you have a keyboard: on this device you have a four-corners remote control and a onscreen keyboard.

--- Update ---

Contacted LG tech support. A CSR (whose first language wasn't English) offered this:
" sincerely apologize for the inconveniences, but regretfully, we do not have a firmware for this, since the unit most keep the information at all times, I will suggest you to send us the player and have the technician correct the problem."

So I ordered a replacement from Amazon. It does the exact same thing.

LG 1) fix this stupid bug, 2) hire some decent CSRs.

--- Update 2 ---

LG apparently fixed this bug in a subsequent SW release. After taking a download one day, this issue no longer happens. Upgrading my review to 3 stars. (-1 for awful customer service, -0.5 for letting this bug out in the first place, and -0.5 for a slow UI). I want to give it four stars... maybe when I get over the first awful bug.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in
  [Cancel]

Comments

Track comments by e-mail
Tracked by 5 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 34 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Oct 4, 2011 1:41:53 AM PDT
Al Leon says:
My brakes just went on!

Posted on Oct 12, 2011 11:24:10 AM PDT
G. Ma says:
With all these positive 5 star comments, I thought I was the only one going through this wireless settings BS. I have a brand new Apple AirPort Extreme, which I originally thought was the problem, but I completely echo S.Bartlett's complaints.

Posted on Nov 1, 2011 10:20:59 AM PDT
Armando says:
maybe you need to Portforward?

Posted on Nov 22, 2011 9:05:41 PM PST
Elisa says:
I have had the same problem. Every single time I turn this thing on. It's going back to the store.

Posted on Nov 25, 2011 8:55:20 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 25, 2011 8:56:30 PM PST
Scott W says:
I have had this player a few days, and today it seemed to "lose" network settings. I unplugged it for a few seconds, plugged it back in, and the network reconnected fine. So it didn't really "lose" settings; it just disconnected.

Hope they fix this in future firmware. But until then, try unplugging it for a few seconds. A least for me, that was easier than re-entering the network password.

Posted on Nov 28, 2011 9:08:43 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 28, 2011 9:09:28 AM PST
Snoopy says:
had the same exact problem on my samsung player went round and round with the internet provider and samsung for well over a year! Finally a tech with the internet gave me an updated modem and have had not one problem yet.

Work on troubleshooting/updating/upgrading your internet modem.

Posted on Nov 28, 2011 7:20:33 PM PST
C. Steinman says:
1. Unable to get the Software Update to work. Update always fails
2. User Interface is slower than going out to rent a movie.

If I cannot get these fixed, back to the store it goes.

Posted on Dec 30, 2011 7:04:58 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 3, 2012 4:57:59 PM PST
I had this player for two weeks now. In that time, It has not one time lost my settings. Everyday this player is turn on without the listed problem. I too I'm a Engineer. Maybe just a Audio/Video Recording Engineer one, but been buying electronic equipment since 1968. I ever went to a high school in NYC for electronics in the early seventies haven't left the business since. I did alot of research on my 3D HDTV set and a 3D Blu-Ray Player. I checked with different tech sites including CNET and found nothing on this problem just good marks. My wireless set-up has never given me problems except when Netflix on a couple of my tv's started buffering. I quickly got that fixed by changing the gateway. So the only thing that I can add is that LG made a batch of defective networking players commonly known in LG's circle as "Smart TV", maybe not that smart for some....

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 1, 2012 8:13:03 PM PST
Bride's Mom says:
Our player will not connect to the internet at all. Bought a new router more powerful and it still wont work. So frustrating! Do you have any ideas? Also my blu ray player is on the patio, however the router is supposed to work outside.

Posted on Jan 3, 2012 4:56:44 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 3, 2012 9:02:42 PM PST
I have had this LG 3D BD Player for alittle over two weeks (as of 1/3/12) and left a reply trying to justify this LG 3D BRP. Yes, as a long time Audio/Video Recording Engineer I too likes to save money. When Toshiba came out with HDDVD format, I purchased a player at over $600. Toshiba's format lost out to Sony's Blu-Ray in no time and rest is history. The $600 HDDVD player and HDDVD disc that I have are worth maybe $50! Frankly, I should how known better. Sony equals Columbia Pictures. On the other hand, Toshiba equals No Motion Picture Studio. I fell for all the hype. I felt for the same crap in the seventies with Quadraphonic music and but I had my foot in the door remixing albums for WEA Quadradisc and that is history too. Back to the LG, I got it for $79 with promotions. A really great deal. Since getting the unit we have used the playback features with a DVD, Blu-Ray and a 3D Blu-Ray Disc with no problems. The "Smart TV" features connected easy using WiFi really fast with not one problem. Netflix set-up took a couple of minutes and has worked perfectly. I must admit it frozed last night last for the first time while reviewing a LG app. The remote would not work, tried turning it off with the players power button and that wouldn't work Is this a sign of things to come? I been reading ALL the review and boy it's a mix bag! I'm reading that some people are jumping ship with this unit and choosing a Panasonic model. The Panasonic model acturally has a higher amount of one star ratings then this LG!!! I have a older Panasonic Blu-Ray Player thats coming up to three years of use. The model is the DMP BD85. I also had the BD65. The difference between the two was one came with the WiFi adpater and the other didn"t. With my Panasonic I have NEVER been able to connect to my gateway. I have spent many hours on the phone with Panasonic's horrible customer service and AT&T Uverse and they don't know anything! So going around and around with customer service is nothing new to me, but I'll be dam if I'll do that with LG. With the Panasonic naturally the only way I get any internet contents is with a "Wired" connection. Thats okay since the player is right next to the gateway. So it looks like ALL players including this LG have problems, some with more others with less even the sammy's and sony's. So, rather have a unknown future with this LG, I have started a new search for another 3D BD Player. The ONLY reason that I picked this LG is the review at CNET. I checked out CNET and must say they have really nice cozy relationship with LG. I think I'll just stay with what Consumer Reports has to say in the future... Have any ideas??? Oh yeah I forgot, get an extended warranty maybe!!!
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 Next ›