5.0 out of 5 stars Overall, a great case!, June 4, 2011
This review is from: Pelican 1510-004-110 Case with Padded Dividers, Black (Camera)
I've now used this case on a couple of photo gigs during the last month, and overall, I love it. It's cheaper than all the camera-specific soft-sided rolling cases and is a lot more durable in a big way. I love that when my camera gear is riding in this case, I have absolutely no worries what so ever.

When I received this case I immediately noticed that it was smaller than I was expecting. It was important for me to get something carry-on compliant though, so that's not Pelican's fault. It doesn't fit every last little thing I had hoped to cram in there, but it did allow me to consolidate a camera backpack and 2 random camera bags into the one case after removing a few insignificant things.

Bottom line for those who don't want to read the details? Yes I would buy this case again if I needed this size. Yes I would recommend it to a friend. Yes I'm thrilled with the purchase and the price! In the future I plan to buy a similarly equipped case that's larger for local gigs, and you can believe it's going to be a Pelican!

The Details:

*Padded divider system is adequate but not so padded that it wastes a lot of space. This is awesome. Some bags and cases on the market waste so much space through unnecessarily over-padded walls and dividers that it's ridiculous how much space is wasted. Also, It's worth mentioning that I have extra dividers left after I configured my case. Always a plus!

*The case itself is waterproof and overall is tough as nails. I can't wait to throw some travel at this case and see what she'll put up with.

*While not the typical inline-skate wheels you see on most luggage and rolling cases, the wheels do appear to be quite solid.

*I'm 6ft tall and sometimes find luggage and rolling cases to be uncomfortable to pull with how low their handles are. Happily, I don't have this issue with this case.

*Organization! With the padded dividers and the optional lid organizer, this case is awesome for organizing my gear. Both my assistants absolutely love this case, and it's also easy for me to describe where stuff is without having to show them. If you buy this case, you need to get the lid organizer. Period. It's cheap and so handy!

*Appearance: Now, a lot of people will tell you this isn't important. What I can say though, is that with weddings especially, but also other assignments, perception on the part of your clients and their guests is everything. This case definitely looks legit, while rolling behind us and when we open it up to reveal the myriad of equipment we use, all organized into compartments.

*The extra handles on the outside of the case (the non-extending ones) are crazy solid and very very handy when you need to move the case without the wheels, or load it into a car or a shelf. SOLID! And rubberized!

Other comments:

*The recesses for the wheels protrude into the inside of the case a bit. There really isn't a way around this if you want to keep the wheels protected, but I still found this to be mildly annoying when trying to make everything fit.

*The main pull handle is weird. It's one solid piece of molded plastic, rather than your typical telescoping luggage handle. It functions fine, and my guess is that it will surpass the typical luggage-style handles in longevity because it's leagues more durable and doesn't have moving parts. Still though, it's just a bit odd and it does flex a little bit in the middle. Overall though, still solid. I love that it locks when it's extended, and it locks when you push it back down into the case as well.

*One thing I didn't realize I'd miss: No pockets on the outside. On all my bags and backpacks and on my personal luggage, I've gotten used to large, flat outer zipper pockets. For photography, they were perfect for flat-folding light modifiers, lighting gels, disc reflectors, etc. Now I keep these items stored under the padded divider tray. Luckily the version I received has a padded bottom, so my assistants and I are able to pull the whole tray out to get to the flat items underneath.

What I fit in this case with a little experimentation and creative packing:

*2 Nikon DSLR's with Power Grips
*1 Nikon SB900 Speedlight (not in it's case)
*1 Nikon SB600 Speedlight (in it's case with it's foot/stand)
*1 Nikon SB24 Speedlight (in it's tie-up case)
*3 Pocket Wizard Plus II Transceivers
*Tamron 17-50mm F2.8 Lens with Hood (mounted to one of the cameras)
*Tokina 12-24mm F4 Lens with Hood
*Nikon 50mm F1.4G Lens
*Nikon DX 35mm F1.8G Lens
*Lensbaby Composer in the Lensbaby Case (tucked inside lightspere mentioned below).
*Old Nikon 70-210mm F4 Lens with Hood (similar in size I believe to the 80 to 200 F2.8 non-VR lens)
*5 Dot-Line AA Battery Cases (each fit 8 AA Batteries)
*Nikon SB-D9 Battery Pack for SB900
*Gary Fong Universal Lightsphere (the non-collapsible kind. Takes up a lot of space but worth it for wedding gigs)
*Joe Demb/Demb Flash Products Flip-It
*Small Dome Diffuser (similar to StoFen) that came with SB900
*Small Gel organizer that came with SB900
*Small Foot/stand that came with SB900
*Tripod & Monopod Plates
*2 Memory Card Wallets
*Sync Cables for flashes
*4 Extra Nikon Batteries (2 extras for each camera body)
*2 Small rolls of Gaffer's Tape (one black, one white)
*Lumiquest Softbox III (Flat under divider tray)
*Honl 8" Snoot (Flat under divider tray)
*Honl Grids - 1/4" and 1/8"
*Honl Barn Door/Gobo (Flat under divider tray)
*Home-made velcro Gel Holder (Flat under divider tray)

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 2 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-4 of 4 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Dec 3, 2011 9:39:40 AM PST
A. Nelson says:
Would love to see a photo of how you organized all this stuff.

Posted on Jul 24, 2013 12:30:34 PM PDT
T. Cook says:
Mr Boggs, I certainly appreciate your review. I was encouraged to hear that the handle doesn't get in the way of a tall-ish person pulling the case. My question is related to pulling the case: are the wheels (and case in general) rugged enough to take on hiking trails? I'm not talking terribly rough trails, but normal Forest Service kinds of trails.

Also, are your Nikons full frame (a la the D3 or D4)? One person was complaining that a large DSLR wouldn't fit in the case (if I understood correctly) if the DSLR was stored on its short side (that is, the long dimension sticking upward).

Thanks for your time.
t

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 29, 2014 9:21:55 AM PDT
Apologies for the delay - just saw this.

In regards to pulling this on a trail, I'm sure it would withstand it but I can't imagine it being a fun endeavor by any means. Would I recommend that? Can't say I would - not the right tool for the trail.

In regards to the cameras, I was at the time carrying two Nikon d7000's with power grips attached and it was fine. More recently I've held two canon 6D's with power grips just fine.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 18, 2014 1:31:08 PM PST
Houckster says:
For people who will be pulling a Pelican along uneven surfaces, Pelican makes the Mobiity 1510m and 1560m that have MUCH larger wheels. That's what I'm buying. The cost of the two cases is almost the same with the 1560m costing just $11 more.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›

Review Details

Item

4.7 out of 5 stars (417 customer reviews)

$323.95 $172.20