Automotive Deals BOTYSFKT Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer harmonquest_s1 harmonquest_s1 harmonquest_s1  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis STEM Water Sports

1.0 out of 5 stars TOTALLY DISAPPOINTED!, February 6, 2009
This review is from: Cuisinart DLC-2009CHBM Prep 9 9-Cup Food Processor, Brushed Stainless DISCONTINUED BY MANUFACTURER (Kitchen)
My 10-year old Bravia food processor gave up the ghost when I over-challenged it with a huge hunk of hard cheese, and I could totally kick myself for ruining it. Especially since I replaced it with a pricey Cuisinart 9-cup brushed stainless model that was 5-star rated -- that has turned out to be a major disappointment. I have a dog who is allergic to most everything in the dogfood world, so I must make his food myself. One of the components is a "salad" comprised of spinach, baby carrots, and apple, with a little olive oil. My old Bravia took about 8 seconds to mulch this into a lovely slaw, with all pieces evenly chopped. The Cuisinart practically liquifies the spinach, while the apple and carrot are still in large pieces. I have tried processing the carrots and apples first, then adding the spinach, which works for the apples and carrots, but the spinach just sits there without moving. The only way I have been able to make this work is to do the spinach separately from the apples and carrots, then mix them together by hand in a bowl. This makes what should be a 2 minute job into a 10 minute one. Another surprise was when I discovered that the Cuisinart 9 cup processor bowl only holds 2 cups of liquid. My Bravia could be filled 2/3 full... Unfortunately, the Bravia is no longer made. And buyers beware... when I checked with the Amazon website, their refund policy says I can only expect "up to a 50 percent refund" on the Cuisinart because it has been used, even though it is under 3 weeks old. I can't remember ever having to return anything to Amazon before, so the return policy came as a surprise. I have only owned one Cuisinart appliance in the past -- a toaster -- and it was great. Wasn't Cuisinart the creator of food processors eons ago?? You would think they would have this thing perfected by now.... I am very, very disappointed with this product.

July, 2009. I've had this food processor for not quite 6 months. I use it every three days to make my dog's "salads." Last evening, the black trim on the handle of the 9-cup container broke off in my hand when I was removing the container from the unit. You would think that the manufacturer would realize that a handle that receives a great deal of torque (twisting the container on and off the motor unit) should be a one-piece component and not two pieces. My handy hubby has epoxied the handle back together, but he's not optimistic about how long the fix will last. I'm told that Cuisinart is no longer a French company, but is now American. This is totally a design flaw, and the American parent company, not the Chinese manufacturer, is to blame. It seems that many products become trash when they become American. How unfortunate. I am going to contact Cuisinart to see if they will replace the container, and will update this posting with the results.

Later... Yes, actually the Customer Service was quite good. They replaced the bowl with the broken handle. But, now, the pusher, which has a "pin" which apparently enables the motor when the components are properly assembled, has separated from the pusher. I can still use it, but must be very careful to make sure the pin is manually inserted and at the proper depth to enable the motor. Bother!! I have purchased a new pusher ($14.00), and a new bowl ($30.00) just to make the cost of shipping worthwhile. And I am now getting a decent result with my dog's "salad" by putting chopped apples in first, followed by the spinach, then weighing everything down with the carrots. But honestly, I can't wait until the motor dies on this food processor so I can buy something else.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in
  [Cancel]

Comments

Track comments by e-mail
Tracked by 5 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 15 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Feb 19, 2009 12:21:47 PM PST
Jayni says:
Sorry about your bad experience, but thought you should know, the original Cuisinart companywas sold many years ago (maybe 20) to an American company, and no, it is probably not as good as it used to be.

I have had my Cuisinart DLC7 for 27 years, and it still is working just fine!

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 5, 2009 4:14:42 PM PDT
A. Jordan says:
I would say go to ebay and get a vintage Cuisinart made in France before it was sold and production was sent to China.

Posted on Jul 20, 2009 1:26:46 PM PDT
James says:

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 11, 2009 4:40:08 AM PDT
Rocksister says:
I"d like to know what Cuisinart did for you, if anything. I'm looking at buying a food processor, been needing one for years, but all of them have some negative reviews, so I"m perplexed about how to choose one. I think I'll look into commercial ones, but I bet they are well over a thousand dollars. Please update your review so I can see what happened when you approached the mfg. Thanks

Posted on May 12, 2010 6:27:54 PM PDT
Cuisinart is a U.S. company. Always has been - founded by Carl and Shirley Sontheimer (MIT grads). From 1975 to 1977 manufaturing was sub-contracted to Robot-Coupe in France. In 1977 manufacturing was moved to Japan.
See http://www.fundinguniverse.com/company-histories/Cuisinart-Corporation-Company-History.html

Posted on Jun 23, 2010 11:41:22 AM PDT
Brian says:
Could your problem with dog's salad be explained perhaps by the bowl of this processor being too large for the job? Do you remember the size of your old Bravia processor, was it also 11 cup?
I think that when the processor is too big, then leafy vegetables will get chopped, but apples and such will just be thrown around as there are not enough of them to be in contact with blades long enough to get chopped.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 14, 2011 9:03:05 AM PST
Cynthia Jay says:
I have been through the Norelco,which eventually died; a vintage Cuisinart that was very simple, no extra-wide feed tube and a great extra set of cutting disks; the post on the base gave out and wasn't replaceable. A Kitchen Aid I bought has been very successful, at a Beach House, I like the small bowl; I bought one for home, but it was much bigger, and loomed too large in my kitchen; took it back and bought a Cuisinart, which drives me crazy. It takes less time to cut a potato to fit a normal feed tube than it does to deal with all those frustrating layers of high-tech tops, impossible to wash by hand, and a real nuisance if you are doing several different loads. Look for a narrow feed tube would be my thought...

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 10, 2011 12:57:56 PM PST
Susan says:
My DLC8 ...the bowl finally fell apart! :-( I don't know what to do since the replacement parts don't fit my old unit. So bummed!

Posted on Feb 26, 2011 6:24:43 PM PST
T. Dougherty says:

Posted on Mar 9, 2011 6:46:51 AM PST
This review is not for the product listed.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›