5.0 out of 5 stars See my AMR review...just bought it a third time (yes, it's that good), December 17, 2012
This review is from: Alice: Madness Returns The Complete Collection [Download] (Software Download)
Edit, 1/12: a gentlemen posted a review below stating that the games don't support 360 controller for PC...he's wrong. Both games have built-in plug-and-play 360 controller support, and I can personally attest that this 'complete collection' is no different from all other editions...all that I own and use support 360 controllers with no effort, thought, or issue (I use a 360 controller exclusively, and have never had any trace of a problem using my controller with any edition of this game). I don't know why his controller isn't working, but don't let that fool you into thinking that it won't work for you...it will. If not, reply below and I will assist you (though I have no idea what the problem would be, since said gentleman provided no insight into his issue or anything he did or didn't do to attempt to resolve the problem...).

I originally bought AMR for $8.99 some time ago; expecting nothing, I played through it four times, with 50 hours in at 99% (damn that one memory I can't find...I refuse to use YouTube to cheat). I then bought a second copy from GameStop's download service, just in case Amazon goes under or something (yes, the game is that good; of course, GameStop is probably going to go under soon, but hey, until then, I have two copies of the game).

Today, I noticed that this version includes the original Alice, something I'd been considering spending $100 on (used copy); while you can simply go into AliceEngine.ini and unlock the costumes and guns (did this a long time ago) (make sure you set max fps to 60, as well [the game is illogically limited to 31 fps without this modification [reply if you need me to tell you how to do this; for God's sake, please don't judge the game if you're playing it at 31 fps (or any game, for that matter)]), the Alice files aren't present (even though the option to play the game is unlocked on the menu). I expect this $14.99 to resolve that problem, and finally allow me to play what I expect to be the second greatest game of all time (behind Alice: Madness Returns, of course [just some hyperbole for you]). I'll update this after I download, install, and successfully access Alice, but dang, am I excited.

Edit (same day, later on): As expected "Alice1" is now present, a 955MB folder that contains...you guessed it...Alice. Thankfully, it supports 1080p and has built-in 360 controls (not unexpectedly, as it's clearly a 360 port). Time to start playing. :)

Edit: because you must not play AMR limited to 31fps (for God's sake and your own), here's what you need to do (right now...do not play the game before doing this):

C:\Users\(your name here...)\Documents\My Games\Alice Madness Returns\AliceGame\Config

Open AliceEngine.ini (with notepad), press control and f simultaneously, enter "smooth;" you should see the below:

bSmoothFrameRate=TRUE
MinSmoothedFrameRate=22
MaxSmoothedFrameRate=31

Make it look like this:

bSmoothFrameRate=TRUE
MinSmoothedFrameRate=25 (this is up to you, really, but I'd personally consider under 25 fps unplayable)
MaxSmoothedFrameRate=60 (these settings permit a maximum frame rate [at all times] of 60, and cause the engine to drop the "smoothing" effect at below 25fps [the game is a choppy mess with smoothing set to FALSE][if you're playing on a weak laptop or something and can't do much over 30 fps, set min to 20 and max to 30])

...save the file, and enjoy the game at 60fps (assuming your hardware is capable of it; it takes a 560 (give or take) to max the game at 1080p/60, and also a decent CPU [my 2500k at 4.3 uses about 30% (of the typically 50% available to most games, as most games can't utilize more than two cores simultaneously)]).

Also, Alice (1) seems to be locked at 62 fps; great, but tearing is tearing. Force V-sync in Control Panel or D3DOverrider and play it at 60 fps.

*Also,* don't play AMR with PhysX on high; set it to medium and forget the ridiculous oil slicks that destroy fps (just a suggestion).

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 5 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 36 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Dec 19, 2012 3:50:01 AM PST
M. roberts says:
@thetruthhurts does the game supports windows 7 64bit?

Posted on Dec 19, 2012 4:06:43 AM PST
MartinK says:
I've already activated the game on Origin. Can I activate this Edition on the same account in order to gain access to Alice 1?

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 19, 2012 6:19:14 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 22, 2012 6:44:40 AM PST
Yes, both AMR and Alice (at least in this package) install and run on 7 64. That said, Alice cannot be accessed directly (clicking on the .exe does nothing); it must be run through AMR's menus.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 19, 2012 6:22:07 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 19, 2012 4:18:45 PM PST
Yes, it installs as a separate game package (with slightly different cover art), and has nothing to do with your other purchased version of Alice that displays in Origin. Also, you can't install only Alice 1 separately; the entire package must be installed to obtain the "Alice1" folder you're currently missing. You'll want to remove the original installation before doing anything, however, as the installer will fail near the end of the process if existing data is already present (because the original version was already installed on my PC, I had to copy the binaries folder into the 'complete' folder to complete the installation after the installer failed). Your save data will be retained in your user folder (as opposed to the program files location where the actual game data resides), but it wouldn't hurt to copy it first (I recently had to reinstall my OS, and forgot to copy it...49.5 hours @ 99% lost; wasn't too concerned, as I'll happily play through the game a fifth time and more, and had planned on doing so anyway).

Posted on Dec 20, 2012 10:05:12 AM PST
SirVera says:
Very helpful review, thanks.

Posted on Dec 27, 2012 11:51:25 AM PST
rms says:
You made me buy it again (from GS) just to get the first Alice game, thanks :) EA really botched their handling of the Complete Collection version: first, by making it completely unavailable from any source after the pre-order period, until just now when it started showing up on a few sites; and secondly, amazingly, it's *still* unavailable from Origin, where it was originally released. Unbelievable. Your tweaking tips are much appreciated also.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 27, 2012 1:08:33 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 9, 2013 3:57:55 PM PST
Lol, yeah, the 'complete' package should have been available day and date with consoles' DLC; the costumes/guns are mildly amusing (especially given each costume's special powers), but nothing I'd have paid for...the first game, on the other hand, definitely warranted the repurchase.

As for as the tweaks, it stuns me that, in 2012, an XBOX 360 port is hard-limited to 31fps (thank God it wasn't written in binary)...imagine playing a game at 31fps, much less a silly console port that Xenon, a mid-level processor as of 2005, can run smoothly at 30...wow. What are these devs thinking? Playing the game at 60fps is an entirely different experience (as it always is, in my opinion)...for anyone who can't maintain 60 due to CPU limitations, I recommend buying/building a new sandy/ivy bridge PC just for this game alone. Next on my list: a 3D monitor (the game has built-in support) and CPU upgrade (Haswell; need to maintain 120fps to get 60 output in 3D :) ).

p.s. you can also edit the heck out of the PhysX settings (in the same .ini file), but to me, PhysX is simply a marketing tool that doesn't work properly (it kills fps, regardless of what you do...personally, I'd rather have smooth animation than extra eye candy that makes the game run terribly, but that's just me; I refuse to play anything at under 60fps [well...there is Crysis 2...we'll give that one a pass (frequently CPU-limited to 50 or lower on my PC [2500K @ 4.3])]).

Posted on Jan 9, 2013 9:38:00 AM PST
A customer says:
Is there any other way to obtain the downloadable content, as I have the disc version of the game?

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 9, 2013 3:56:52 PM PST
You have the standard PC edition on disc? Not to my knowledge.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 9, 2013 4:02:35 PM PST
A customer says:
Yes, I have the standard version on disc for PC. That's too bad, EA should let us purchase the content through Origin. Anyway, I still love this game.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 Next ›