3.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Picture-Sound, but flakey firmware performance, June 9, 2012
This review is from: Sony BDPS790 3D Blu-ray Player with Wi-Fi (Electronics)
Ok. I rated this item 3 stars which is comprised of 5 stars for picture/audio performance (and other things, more in a bit) but 1 star for extremely flakey and down-right dangerous firmware (more on that in a bit).

For for what gets 5 or 4-5 star ratings: The 'good'
The image and picture quality of this Sony is the best to-date and rivals the best of blu-ray players at nearly any price. The available adjustments make for great enhancements and tweaks for any kind of display (plasma, lcd, led, projector (dlp or lcd or ...). The streaming options are fantastic with Amazon Video, Netflix, YouTube, and a host of other streaming services (including music/radio streaming services). The Sony Entertainment Network is also available and that adds a host of additional options for viewing/listening (however, I'm not a fan so I've not explored it too much). Netflix on this unit (at least after performing latest firmware upgrade ... more on that in the 'ugly' section of this review) give you truer HD performance with 1080p streaming and DD+ 5.1 surround capabilities. Watching Killer Elite on video was actually fantastic.

For what gets a 1 or 2 star rating: The 'bad'
I've updated to the latest firmware and when I put in a disc and then turn on my whole entertainment setup, the blu-ray players either turns off (which is ok) or worse freezes at the menu for some reason. When it appears to not freeze and simply hit play to start the blu-ray disc, the machine freezes and will not shut off and the soft-buttons keep flashing ... I have to unplug it to reset the unit. I may have a bad unit and I will probably replace it, but this should never happen. I've had so many dvd and blu-ray players and this is the worst behaving one I've ever had. I've had the unit less than 24 hours and had to unplug it 3 times .... ouch. As bad as this is, the worst is yet to come.

The 'ugly'
When attempting to setup the networking setting out of the box ... the unit would not connect when everthing else in my house was connecting fine. The wired connection would not work. So I tried wireless ... this is where the extreme ugly comes in to play. I used the automatic WPS networking setting where you go and push a button on your router and it auto-negotiates with the device and setup the blu-ray player's network settings. Well, instead of setting the player, the player when working with my router UNBELIEVABLY changed my routers SSID to gibberish and also change my passphrase to gibberish ... and then nothing in my house, including the Sony blu-ray player would connect to my home network ... UGGH.... so not being a techno-phobe noobie, I logged into my router withl admin rights and changed my SSID and settings back, but my router decided that I could not apparently just change it all back and all would be good ... Nooo ... I had to re-choose and rekey in the passphrase on every wireless device in our house .... which we have a ton, a few in nearly every room .... arghhh.... way to go Sony. Not only is this bad, it is ugly and down right dangerours ....

Now I decided with such craziness going on that I had to update the firmware and perhaps that would take care of the wireless issue ... but because I could not get it to connect to my network nor trusted the darn thing to not screw up my network, I downloaded the firmware (396 or something...) and burned the files to CDR and then updated the players, which went ok. However, the player after ejecting the disc and my turning it back on, it strangely rebooted itself at least 20 times which made me think that I had a complete lemon on my hands. Eventually it stopped after about 15 minutes and now work fine except for the behavior in the 'bad' part of this review.

I'd say to wait and see if Sony works out the firmware issues or quality issues or whatever the issue is with this player. I'm going to see about replacing the player as it is flakey. However, the audio/video and streaming options are outstanding.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 5 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 13 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jun 9, 2012 7:37:56 PM PDT
Mahmood says:
It is true that it has network connectivity issue. but it cannot change SSID. there is no way until it kows ADMIN password.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 9, 2012 9:18:28 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 9, 2012 9:19:52 PM PDT
Well, you would think so and I would have said the same thing. I am 17+ year IT professional and I was absolutely dumbfounded to see this actually happen. It really did change both the SSID and PassPhrase. Verified on the router via admin utility. I had to change it all back. This is a first for me. I checked other devices right after it happened and sure enough the SSID that was being broadcast matched the gibberish name I saw in the admin utility. WPS on my router (for the first time ever) allowed such an interaction to occur. Now I can't know for sure which device (router vs sony 790) was the real culprit but with many other devices connected using WPS method, this is the first time this has happened. I would've thought protocols on the router would prevent this but it happened none the less. I was shocked.

Posted on Jun 27, 2012 2:50:22 PM PDT
I already knew of the firmware update, when I received mine, I updated the firmware using my office HDTV w/only an HDMI cable using HDMI input 2, nothing else plugged in either the TV or the BD Player, I also unplugged my router, I received a mssg the update worked. Plugged in the router, and took the unit downstairs and tested other Fifi equipment, everything was working, I plugged in the HDMI then turned it on, setup went smoothly afterward, no SSID or naming issues. Haven't had any problems at all.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 27, 2012 3:50:11 PM PDT
Hi. Glad to hear it. I'm still having some odd issues with turning off the unit. I am considering returning it, but the minor issues left are, just that, minor. But for $250 blu-ray player, this is the absolute worst setup (etc) that I've ever experienced with any practically any product, let alone something costing $250.00. I'm normally a Sony super-Fan but now ... their reputation is tarnished for me.

Posted on Jul 2, 2012 10:27:47 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jul 2, 2012 10:28:54 AM PDT
Being an IT guy myself, I can't help but wonder how the SSID/passphrase change could be possible. Usually the simplest explanation is the true cause. Does it not seem as if by using the WPS method the router paired with the Sony BluRay player as opposed to the other way around? It's almost like a reverse parent-child relationship. I wonder if the 790 has the ability to be an access point or host to other WiFi devices. Just throwing a guess out there. This is something I've only seen in USB hardware getting all confused with who is the host and who is the peripheral but it's the same concept.
EDIT: Oh, alternately, the router might have the ability to act as an extender and it might have thought it was being paired via WPS with a "main" router.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 2, 2012 11:50:15 AM PDT
Yes, I agree. This is what happened, more than likely, which is obviously a gap in the security protocols/firmware of the router itself. This simply should not happen. However, despite the doubters, it really did happen causing my jaw to drop to the floor.

Thanks for your thoughtful insight to my post.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 2, 2012 11:56:27 AM PDT
No, thank YOU for replying with the confirmation. Stuff like this keeps me up at night! I probably shouldn't be in this line of work as nothing ever works as it should (or, at least, was intended). :)

Posted on Dec 7, 2012 11:57:18 AM PST
[Deleted by the author on May 8, 2013 6:40:46 AM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 7, 2012 5:13:27 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 7, 2012 5:15:24 PM PST
Hi Art -- I installed the update (via network download through the menu last night) and then proceeded to watch most of Madagascar 3 with no issues. Sound/Picture were normal. You might try a manual upgrade to the latest firmware if this continues to be an issue (or by a method you did NOT use with this latest update... perhaps to undo something odd during the re-write of the last firmware version). There are instructions on the sony support web site on how to upgrade manually to a specific firmware.

Thankfully since my initial issue that I posted here, the machine has performed flawlessly.. I am no longer upset about the purchase.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 7, 2012 8:56:22 PM PST
[Deleted by the author on May 8, 2013 6:41:03 AM PDT]
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›

Review Details

Item

4.0 out of 5 stars (288 customer reviews)

$248.00 $198.00