Your Garage botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it blink-182 Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer AllOrNothingS1 AllOrNothingS1 AllOrNothingS1  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro STEM

4.0 out of 5 stars Vampires Within, June 5, 2010
This review is from: The Short Second Life of Bree Tanner: An Eclipse Novella (The Twilight Saga) (Hardcover)
Warning - spoilers ahoy.

My favourite aspect of the Twilight novels was the supporting cast of characters, who were so fascinating they always left me wanting to know more. This short novel from Bree's perspective works as a supplement to Eclipse, and as a tragic story in its own right. If the main aspect of the Twilight novels you enjoyed was the romance between Edward and Bella, then I don't think you'll enjoy this one, however if you liked the wider politics of the Twilight vampire universe, then this is one for you.

I enjoyed the way the details of Bree's conversion to the vampire life were revealed gradually throughout the first half of the story. There was a great sense of tragic irony in the fact that Bree ended up trading her humanity for a cheeseburger, of all things. The contemporary culture references in Twilight always act as a nice reality contrast to the more fantastical elements.

Riley came off as a sympathetic character in Eclipse, another sad victim of Victoria's evil. From Bree's perspective, there is nothing to pity, as Riley is as much a perpetrator of evil and manipulation as Victoria. His referral to the newborns as his 'kids' felt like a sad, twisted mirror of Carlisle and Esme's loving parental relationship with their own coven.

Fred was a fascinating new character. Most of the vampire powers we've seen so far have seemed as much of a curse as they are a gift, but Fred's ability to repel people would be every wannabe hermit's greatest dream. I wondered if he was a social phobic when he was a human. The progression of his relationship with Bree was nicely done - very subtle. I especially liked the card playing: from solitaire, to assisted solitaire, and finally two-player.

The best scenes came towards the end, when the story meets up with what we know from Eclipse. One of my favourite was between Carlisle, Esme and Jasper when they discuss Bree's fate. I don't think we ever saw those characters interact in the Twilight saga, and the dynamics between the various personalities of the Cullen family make for good drama.

I can see a lot of potential for these supplemental stories for expanding the Twilight universe. I'd love to read one about Maria, or Peter and Charlotte, or the rest of the Cullen family. And, of course, Fred ... I hope he did meet the Cullens some day.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in
  [Cancel]

Comments

Track comments by e-mail
Tracked by 2 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 12 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jun 6, 2010 1:18:13 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 6, 2010 1:20:05 AM PDT
An excellent Kiwi reviewer from the end of the world, the land of milk and honey!

Posted on Jun 6, 2010 1:48:17 PM PDT
Can I ask a question? Would you consider this appropriate for an 11 year old? What about ten?

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 6, 2010 4:42:03 PM PDT
Natz2-D2 says:

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 6, 2010 4:50:00 PM PDT
Natz2-D2 says:
re Jessica -
It's more appropriate for 15 and older. There are graphic descriptions of vampires feeding on humans, and the vampires tend to tear each other's limbs off when they get angry. One vampire is tortured to death slowly and horribly, but this happens 'off screen' and we only hear about it. There is also a brief discussion of gang violence and one character being destined for teenage prostitution. I wouldn't have enjoyed it when I was a tween.
However, if a 10-11 year old enjoyed reading/watching horror and didn't mind gore then it would be okay. The prostitution references would go over the head, I think.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 7, 2010 10:20:49 AM PDT
Thank you a million times over! I'm going to skip the whole prostitution thing until she's a little older. 11 is awesome, I'm going to let my daughter be eleven.

Posted on Jun 8, 2010 5:13:19 PM PDT
D. D. Moody says:
I agree with your assessment. It was a quick read, and hated knowing the ending. Hopefully Ms. Meyer does go on to do other short novellas about the others out there; maybe full blown books. She has the base. I personally would love to see inside Jane's "second life" and why she is the way she is. You have to love a good villlian!

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 8, 2010 6:59:51 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 8, 2010 7:00:41 PM PDT
S. Perkins says:
oooh, I love the idea of a story about Jane. She is a fascinating character!

Oh, and great review :)

Posted on Jun 9, 2010 1:18:34 PM PDT
What a great review! I couldn't have put it better!! I completely agree with everything you said and I also very much hope there will be more of these short stories to come! Especially if there is one about Fred!! I also really hope he meets up with the Cullens one day. I liked seeing things from such a different perspective. Bree is an interesting character and it was sad to know her outcome. Even though I knew better I kept hoping that somehow it would change. It was great how it happened, knowing her side of things. I'm glad she got what she wanted most before her story ended.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 17, 2010 12:59:24 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 17, 2010 1:01:06 PM PDT
F. Krubl says:
I will third that. I would love a story about Jane! And the Cullens definitley need to meet up with Fred. Thou, I supposed Fred would have to allow them to see him. On second thought, Edward would 'hear' him no matter what. (I would assume). Thoughts from an invisible entity. LOL!!! Now there's a story starter.

Thou part of me want to know more about Carlisle. His story told from his mouth, as well.
So many options!
I hope Meyer has more of these 'writing exercises' in her folders. Since that is how this story came to be!!

And yes, great review!

Posted on Jul 17, 2010 8:55:43 AM PDT
R. Getzan says:
I liked this novella. I also hope that Braking Dawn will not be the end to the Twilight saga. I wnat to know if Bella or any of the Cullen family find Fred. I don't think that Fred would want to stay with the Cullens but I could envision Fred knowing what happened to Bree and being devastated. If ever the Volturi decides to strike again I could imagine the power of Fred protecting the Olimpic coven. Would Demitri be able to track with Fred repeling him??? The possibilities are endless!!!!!!!!!!
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›