2.0 out of 5 stars This edition = total rip off!, January 22, 2011
This review is from: Red Riding Hood (Paperback)
This story is genuinely wonderful and well written, HOWEVER, I highly recommend to everyone out there that you save your money and not purchase this edition of the book. The story is incomplete and its pretty much just a rip off. In this edition the ending is not included, even though there is no waning of that on the front. You have to go on the website and read the end AFTER the movie is released because that`s when the ending will be up. The average price of this book anywhere, is around $10. So you pay ten bucks for an incomplete product? Can you say rip-off? You wouldn't buy a book in the used bookstore with the end ripped out, would you? So why buy a full priced book with no ending? This is just a jacked up ploy to get people to buy movie tickets. Yeah sure, if you're thinking of buying this book you could look around on the internet and find out that there was no ending included in this edition, but the average person just going through the bookstore won't know that. There is no warning that the book is incomplete on the front, thus its set up to take advantage of people and suck them in, to where they'll be dying for the ending so bad that they will be most likely to just go to the movies when it comes out. I personally think this is soooooooooo wrong! Not only is this set up where people pay for incomplete merchandise, it also makes it to where if you really want a complete edition of this book to put on your shelf, and already bought this edition, you'll have to buy it twice. If the author/publishing company wanted to do it that way, they should have at least have been honest and have a blurb on the front of the book warning people about this, instead this is set up to be misleading and take advantage of someone who really wants to know the end. They purposely don't warn you of there being no ending because they know that far less people would buy it that way, but if they don't tell people, people wanting the full version will pay twice. I myself returned my copy when I found the page, at the END of the book, where it informed me that I couldn't read the end until AFTER the movie released. I encourage people to also return their copies of this edition. It would be a shame if this sort of thing turned into a trend with books; sucking as much money as they can from consumers just so people will pay twice what they would have so they can know the ending or have a complete book. You wouldn't pay for a pair of socks with the toes cute out, or a wagon with only three wheels, would you? So why should people have to pay good money for incomplete books? Its really unfair, dishonest, and just plain wrong.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 1 customer

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 12 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Feb 5, 2011 3:20:58 PM PST
C. Burns says:
I did not know about this when I bought this book for my kindle and am stuck with it and EVRY unhappy! This is such crap. If they didn't want you to know the ending before the movie then DON"T RELEASE THE BOOK! Plenty of movies are books first and tickets still sell (Harry Potter, Twilight) if it is well written people will still want to go and see the movie and then there are always people that don't bother to read books at all and just go to the movies! It was 6:00am today when I got to the end of the book on my kindle and went to the web site only to see that I have to wait over a month to read the ending. I honestly saw the trailer at Harry Potter 7.1 and said to a friend I was with gee that looks like I book I would love, started searching for it, found out it wasn't being release until 1/25 and marked it on my calender and purchased it that day! I never would have bought it and would have waited for just the movie if I had known I was getting an unfinished product! I hope people read the reviews before they purchase. I for one notified my FB friends of this issue in the hopes I can save someone from the great disappointment of not getting to read all of what was a great story until the unfinished end!

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 13, 2011 8:11:28 PM PST
JR Corry says:
I had no idea the ending in this book wasn't an end! They did say to go to the author's website, but I thought this was for suggestions to an extended story or something. All I have to say is this: it better be good. That girl BETTER NOT end up with an unrepentant werewolf. I'm guessing she won't, or the book's "end" with her kissing him would in fact have been the actual end..

Posted on Feb 14, 2011 2:39:09 PM PST
There is a hardcover edition of this book available for pre-order on Barnes and Noble.com and Borders.com. It is only $9.99 and contains over 20 more pages, I assume that they are from the final chapter. The book's release date is in March and for some reason Borders.com is releasing it a few days sooner than Barnes and Noble.com. Hope this helps.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 14, 2011 2:42:02 PM PST
JR Corry says:
Thanks!

Posted on Feb 22, 2011 2:20:49 PM PST
Eji1219 says:
Thank you for telling that there was no ending to this book, because that is just annoying. I would have demanded my money back if I were you, because that is very unethical. At least it was well written.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 27, 2011 6:06:44 PM PST
Julia Wagner says:
i sure am not going to spend another $10. Hopefully others will see your comment though and save their money for later.

Posted on Feb 28, 2011 9:19:09 PM PST
Malibu Gamer says:
I didnt see the reviews before purchasing and I totally agree - this was a rip off and it should have been clearly marked on the page for the book that this was the case. This is a marketing scheme by the film company and publisher - they DIRECT you to a web site at the end!!!

I just asked for a refund from Amazon as a result - hopefully they will listen - we should ALL be asking for our money back!

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 2, 2011 12:01:27 PM PST
I bought my book at Target and spent a weekend reading it to come to a grinding halt and directed to a website (http://www.redridinghoodbook.com/) where the "bonus chapter" was supposed to be but actually not ready yet (not released until 3/14/11).

This book definitely should have had something on the cover to indicate the final chapter (not "bonus" like they want to try and make you think you're getting an extra) is not published in this version.

Definitely disappointed in this.

Posted on Mar 12, 2011 1:30:48 PM PST
Ebony says:
I also bought the book. I was very excited to be able to read the story. I was already planning to watch the movie way before I even saw the book. However, when I saw that the book was published AFTER the script I got suspicious. I then looked at all the feed back and saw that all of the bad reviews were because there was no ending to the book. I thought it was a huge scam and immediately returned it. Now I refuse to go see the movie because I will not support someone who scams people out of their money. Times are hard as far as money is concerned and right now was not a good time for them to pull this stunt. I agree that everyone should return the book to show that we won't fall for tricks like that.

Posted on Mar 14, 2011 10:35:53 AM PDT
Katie R. says:
There's still a final chapter that's on the book's website: http://www.redridinghoodbook.com/

It's worth reading! It winds the story up completely!!! But why they didn't include it in the book I have no idea.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›

Review Details

Item

2.7 out of 5 stars (119 customer reviews)

$9.99 $7.60