4.0 out of 5 stars Perfect for Old School Memories, August 20, 2013
This review is from: Polaroid Z2300 10MP Digital Instant Print Camera (Black) (Electronics)
This camera was an early Christmas gift last year and I find it perfect for what I need. I wanted a camera that took digital pictures, had expandable memory, was easy to use, and printed out pictures directly from the unit. The Polaroid Z340 Polaroid Z340 3x4 Instant Digital Camera with ZINK (Zero Ink) Printing Technology was too much money and bigger in size than I wanted and the Polaroid 300 Polaroid PIC-300P Instant Film Analog Camera (Purple) didn't have the memory ability I was looking for.

After some research of this and the Fuji Instax instant camera line, I settled on this one because of a couple of things.

PROS:

1) The Polaroid Z2300 has the throwback design that ultimately made it more portable than the Fuji Instax cameras. Yes, it is bigger than many purely digital cameras but you have to take into consideration that it has the printer inside. I have no issue with their being actual buttons, at times it is easier for me than having a touchscreen.

2)User friendly memory. I got a 16gb sd card as a promotion and it serves me to be able to selectively print pictures than to just have them print immediately after taking them. I am not the world's best photographer and I wasted many an instant camera in high school due to my lack of skills. Nothing sucked more than finally getting everyone together in the perfect pose at the dance than to press the shutter and find my last picture was already taken :( I have been able to successfully transfer photos from my computer to the sd card to print from Facebook and other cameras, and have also used my phone's micro sd with an adapter to make prints directly using this camera.

Some photos do not show up because they are too high resolution (12MP is where I maxed out.) The Polaroid Z2300 only likes landscape, otherwise you get an error message and cannot print. I set my Polaroid Z2300 at 8MP and the pictures come out nice, very little gets cropped in the printing process. My new phone (HTC ONE 32GB)takes true landscape pics and I found that it will fit the entire picture in the print, but the pictures come out "letter boxed" at the top and bottom with white bars (see customer pics for mine.)

The ability to take video was another selling point as I do not always have enough battery or memory available on my phone to take HD videos. The format is .avi and to my amateur pov looks good, definitely HD quality. Be warned that the video takes up A LOT of memory and the camera only takes up to 32GB SD cards.

3) INSTANT MEMORIES! I love that I can just print out a picture and touch it, use it, rub it and none of those things will mess it up after it's done. The fact that it is also a sticker makes making albums and Smashbooks easier. I have given them out as gifts to friends, use it to make going away presents for coworkers and it has been handy to use as "wallets" like back in the day. My little cousins personalized backpacks and for an avid Disneyland visitor like me, having prints of those memories is priceless.

CONS:
1) Picture quality is not always the best, you have to learn what setting works for what scene. This may be a hassle for some people but since I choose what pictures to print and save, not so much of a dealbreaker, just wanted to point it out to others. Colors are either brilliant and spot on, or slightly orangey. They look better on the computer than the camera's LCD screen. Printouts also can come out washed out but it depends on the picture taken in my pov.

2) Battery life not so good when printing multiples. It tends to run out faster when I am just in a printing session and unfortunately taking out the camera battery deletes the date/time setting, which you have to set before being able to take pictures. The battery is removable though but it does charge through ac adapter only. I have yet tried to charge it through usb. Mine came with all these plug adapters for different countries, which may be useful for those that travel, but I just stored them in the junk drawer. I do plan on getting a new battery for just in case.

3)You will not find ZINK Premium photo papers Polaroid 2x3" Premium ZINK Photo paper - 50-Pack in stores. I have been able to order some off Amazon but if I run out, I cannot just go to the store and get more. Keep that in mind if you are wanting this camera for crafting purposes or events. The paper itself is cheap and I haven't wasted more than a handful in the past year. I believe around $0.50 a print.

If you want a fun camera that helps you shares memories in a unique way, I recommend this camera. This is a gadget in all the sense of the word, not something professional photographers or nitpickers should get, because you will be disappointed. Figure out if your needs are what this camera can give you, because I am thoroughly happy with mine and will be giving one to my cousin now that the price has gone down.

Be the first person to comment on this review.

[Add comment]