5.0 out of 5 stars A Natural Digestion Regulator, February 27, 2012
This review is from: Spectrum Essentials Chia Seeds, 12 Ounce (Grocery)
I'm not one who buys into the whole 'miracle food' and 'superfood' business. Some foods are better nutritionally than others, yes, but no single food is a cure-all. But when I heard about chia seeds from a family member I figured I would try them out. With a mere 1 tbsp. serving packing 4g of fiber and 150% of your DV for omega-3's, you can't go wrong. As I started using these, I also increased the amount of fresh fruits and vegetables in my diet.

After incorporating chia seeds into my diet, I have to admit I feel better. I have always been a lethargic person for as long as I can remember, and lately it has been easier for me to get up and get ready for my day. However I also attribute this to my overall change towards a healthier diet.

Where this has really made the most difference is with my digestion. I suffer from IBS and have always had irregular digestion. It is really hard for me to get enough fiber because insoluble fiber can really irritate my stomach. But since I started eating oatmeal with 1 tbsp. of chia seeds every morning, my digestion is regular for the first time in my life. No more worrying about stomach pain and irregularity! I can't emphasize how much of a relief this is after a lifetime of dealing with a sensitive stomach.

Oatmeal and chia seeds are both good sources of soluble fiber (and some insoluble as well) which is much easier for me to digest. Kicking off my morning this way helps keep me full and satisfied until it's time for lunch. The chia seeds absorb the excess liquid in the oatmeal and form a filling gel. They don't add a lot of flavor, they are just chock-full of nutrition. My formula is:

Whole grain oatmeal (Trader Joe's Heart Healthy w/ flax seed & plant sterols, 160cal) + 1 tbsp. chia seeds + 80 cal. of fresh fruit or nuts = 300 calories, 10g fiber (mostly soluble), 150+% omega-3, plus whatever you added through fresh fruit or nuts.

I still don't believe in miracle foods. But I do know that chia seeds have made a positive improvement in my nutrition and digestion. Now that I have finally found something that helps keep my IBS under control, I am sticking with it! Combined with a healthy diet of whole grains, fresh fruits, and veggies, chia seeds have really helped me take control of my body for the first time.

[Add comment]