3.0 out of 5 stars Takes practice, February 7, 2011
This review is from: Fotodiox Canon EOS Macro Extension Tube Set for Extreme Close-Ups (Camera)
I purchased this item because I wanted to take some close up photos without spending the money for a dedicated macro lens. The product arrived as described before the expected delivery date. But, it takes a TON of practice to get this right. After the tube is put on the lens, not only is the autofocus function no longer available, but you have to make sure you are at a very specific distance from the subject to get the manual focus to work properly. It takes a lot of trial and error to determine what that distance is. I found that if I use the macro tube with my 75-300mm lens set at about 100mm, I don't have to be directly ontop of the subject to get it to focus properly. But, it also requires my tripod and remote to keep things steady enough to get the shot. All in all, I probably won't use it too much, but I didn't lose a lot of money on it either.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 11 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 51 posts in this discussion
Initial post: May 23, 2011 2:11:03 AM PDT
DWD says:
The reason it's hard to find the focus spot is because your DoF is so narrow. You literally have a tiny focal area, so getting the lens in focus seems like it takes forever. Yes, you will need to use a tripod with this, but then so too for all macro lenses--if you are doing professional photography..

Posted on Jul 19, 2011 12:37:21 AM PDT
I just had a play with mine on my Macro lens. It is awesome. 100% need to work with a tripod and remote though.

Posted on Aug 24, 2011 1:23:30 PM PDT
I just received my extender but when I put it on my Nikon D60 it says "Lens not attached" did I put it on wrong? it really only goes on one way. lol

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 8, 2011 11:40:30 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 8, 2011 11:41:16 AM PDT
A. Fierro says:
No, you did it right, but think about it. The lens' electrical contacts are no longer in contact with the camera. You will get ths error because the camera cannot communicate with the lens.

They do make extension tubs which pass-through the contacts from the lens to the body, but they are significantly more. Here's a popular one: Kenko DG Auto Extension Tube Set for the Nikon AF Mount.

Posted on Oct 26, 2011 7:36:13 AM PDT
S. Snow says:
For the sharpest images, it is recommended by the manufacturer that a tripod and manual focus be used for macro photography. I also use Mirror-Lock and a remote wire in addition to the tripod to make images as sharp as my eyes will let them be.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 26, 2011 7:40:00 AM PDT
S. Snow says:
You don't have to be a professional to do professional quality work. But, you cannot be a flippant snap shooter and expect high quality work on a regular basis.

Posted on Oct 26, 2011 8:28:13 AM PDT
Beccah says:
I am amazed at some of the comments to my post. Particularly the latest referring to me as a "flippant snap shooter". I don't like this macro extension tube, it's difficult to work with and not worth the time and effort it takes, I am entitled to that opinion. If a person is looking to produce macro photography, they should purchase a dedicated macro lens. Just because I don't like using it, does not mean that I don't know what I am doing. I believe for the most part, those who are purchasing these extensions (and the similar macro filters) are those who want to experiment with macro photography without purchasing an expensive dedicated lens, and so I wrote the review with that reader in mind. Perhaps I should have been clearer, it's HARD to work with these extension tubes on your tripod because finding the sweet spot involves a little maneuvering! It will be difficult to photograph skittish insects and anything that moves while you are trying to locate the sweet spot.

Posted on Jan 4, 2012 10:14:54 AM PST
What you said about it taking practice is true. But that is no reason to rate the product lower. Your critiques are true of all extension tubes/macro bellows, and true of macro photography in general. Reviews should be for the actual product only. You wouldn't buy a golf club and then complain in the review that "putting is actually really difficult and takes practice." Just an example, not meant to insult.

I think it would be more helpful if you answered these types of questions: Does it work? How is the build quality? Are the materials solid? Does it leak light? Does it wobble or is the fit & finish good?

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 15, 2012 2:59:24 PM PST
John says:
Hi Dallam.
I'm sorry, but you do not need a tripod to use a real macro lens. I own the Canon 100mm macro lens and I can assure you that as long as your aperture is correct, you should be able to take a very good picture handheld. If your macro lens doesn't have IS then you can compensate by cranking up you shutter speed.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 4, 2012 7:03:36 PM PST
Agreed!!
You can do great macro without a tripod. I do it all the time. Do you think that bees and other fast moving insects are going to sit still and pose for you while you set up your tripod? Sorry, they're not exactly going to cooperate. By the time you've set up your tripod I've taken a dozen macro shots hand-held and moved on to another spot. Here are just a few of the macro shots I've taken hand-held. Good luck getting shots like this of insects with a tripod... unless they're dead!!

‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next ›