Industrial-Sized Deals TextBTS15 Shop Men's Hightops Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Iron Maiden $5 Off Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Shop Popular Services hog hog hog  Amazon Echo Starting at $99 Kindle Voyage Nintendo Digital Games Shop Now Deal of the Day

1,336 of 1,413 people found the following review helpful
5.0 out of 5 stars Great TV after a lot of tweaking, February 26, 2012
This review is from: Samsung UN32EH5000 32-Inch 1080p 60Hz LED TV (2012 Model) (Electronics)
If you're anything like me you see that this TV is labeled as LED; then you look at the picture and see a lot of fat for the usual Samsung LED depth. Make no mistake this is an LED TV. I got this for my bedroom to replace my 23 inch Samsung Syncmaster. I use this TV mostly for 1080 mp4 movies and blurays (I download what I want to watch instead of waiting for it on cable), and my Xbox and PS3.

I learned 2 things about the TV right off the bat. If you have Comcast, you cannot fully customize the TV's picture. An essential feature called HDMI black levels actually looks much better when its set to low. I have 2 different Comcast HD boxes and since neither of them broadcast at 1080, this feature is locked out. Long story short, Comcast had me thinking I purchased my first dud from Samsung. Seriously, the colors look washed out and none of the channels really had that crisp clear picture I was hoping for. If you plan to use this solely for Comcast, I can't really recommend it. In fact, I've always found blu ray quality to be so much better than cable that I've stopped using cable for anything but football and cartoons. Movies MUST be in my PS3's blu ray player or my own 1080p files.

The second thing I learned about is what the depth is for. Samsung didn't advertise this (or maybe its just my TV), but I have absolutely NO BACKLIGHT BLEED. When Black Ops goes to the loading screen on my Xbox, it gets so dark that I think the TV is off! The only indication that it is on is the Black Ops logo in the corner spinning. There isn't even the SLIGHTEST inkling of white anywhere! I'm not exaggerating. The obvious second reason why this TV is fat for an LED is that Samsung made an effort to improve the sound. When I turn on the HD surround coupled with the movie option, there is much more bass than I thought it would be. THe explosions in my games and the soundtracks in movies sound vastly better than I thought they would. Granted, I am not the type to go out and spend 600 on some Bose speakers, but the sound is NOT a con for me this time around.

NOW ON TO THE PICTURE

As I said, I was not exactly thrilled with the picture RIGHT off the bat. It looked like my old 23 inch Syncmaster, just a lot bigger. Let me tell you, this is not one of those TV's that look great right out of the box. You have to toy around with the settings a bit to get the optimal picture. I wanted sharpness coupled with colors that pop like crazy.....and I got it. Dynamic is the brightest setting, but I coupled this with the HDMI black levels set to low (option not available for Comcast cable box) and voila, moving photographs! I'm not a pro but this is my setup:

Mode: Dynamic

Backlight: 18

Contrast: 85

Brightness: 50

Sharpness: 80

Color: 70

TInt: G/R 50/50

Standard color tone with screen fit in the additional options, with HDMI black level set to low.

My games and blurays look AMAZING. The picture is easily better than my mom's 46 inch Samsung up front. REMEMBER that some of the good options are cut off from Comcast and the use of component cables. In games, I do have to up the brightness or gamma a little, but it ends up looking BRILLIANT. I am going through my entire library of games and they feel like entirely new experiences! There is a 32 inch 720p option as well, but I just was not comfortable with 720p max. The new game consoles are gojng to have native 1080 so that's what I wanted. BTW did I mention I'm a big gamer?

THE CONS

Well I saw this TV up on Amazon before it was on Samsung's website. Yeah, WOW. Sometimes I wanted to see the TVs specs from Samsung directly before I made my buy. Make no mistake this is NOT a 120 HZ tv although it is labeled as one. I have no idea what clearmotion 120 is, but it makes my TV much darker. The feature is entirely useless and does nothing to the picture or add the "soap opera" effect like I had hoped (it looks great for games).

WITH A COMCAST CABLE BOX I could see no difference between HDMI and component. I kept switching back and fourth, but since the max output is 1080i, there were no differences in picture.

The last iteration of this TV had 4 HDMIs. What happened?

VERDICT

With a lot of tweaking, I got the picture to look beautiful. I will use my Comcast box sparingly, but I might move to FIOS if the support full 1080. Watching movies on my PS3 and playing games on my Xbox stopped me from returning the TV. I will not be surprised if this set gets bad reviews from Comcast users (even though Its not Samsung's fault). I'm a "videophile" and this passed my personal test with vibrant colors.

FEEL FREE TO ASK ME ANYTHING!

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 32 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 196 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Feb 27, 2012 7:20:22 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 27, 2012 7:21:28 AM PST
Johnhazrd says:
The description isn't fully clear does this Tv have a 60ms delay? Oh some research I have performed indicates that setting your sources from RGB to Ycbcr will yeild better results especially with your black and whites issue. There is display that I am almost sure I am getting you need to set it to PC, source to Ycbcr and is a 1ms delay the only down side is that it is a 27inch.

Posted on Mar 3, 2012 3:14:15 PM PST
shurbuilders says:
I have a Comcast hi-def box with an EH6000 series set, and I'm able to set HDMI Black on low (and you're right, it DOES look much better). There shouldn't be any difference in this regard between the EH6000 sets and the EH5000 sets. Perhaps you need to trade in your Comcast box for a newer model to have this feature be active? Or maybe you need a newer (Category 2) HDMI cable? Or maybe the Comcast boxes in your region don't support this feature (I'm in eastern PA)? Just some thoughts, given that this feature works for me, and one would assume that it would work for all Comcast HD subscribers.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 3, 2012 6:55:04 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Mar 3, 2012 6:59:30 PM PST
D.K. says:
I have purchased the 40eh5000 model and would like to know where to change the hdmi black levels?

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 3, 2012 9:09:31 PM PST
shurbuilders says:
If it's the same as the EH6000, go to the menu, then to Picture, then down to Picture Options, and you'll see HDMI Black Level (which on my set, looks best set at low).

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 6, 2012 12:37:41 AM PST
Gordon says:
I apologize all. My professors are really giving us a lot of work before Spring Break so I haven't had much spare time!

@ Johnhazrd That goes beyond my realm of comprehension man. That sounds like a PC gaming attribute to look out for. As for the Ycbcr thing I don't see any direct way to change that other than switching to component. Dynamic + Low Black HDMI = BEAUTIFUL, but thanks for the advice. Maybe real monitors support those features.

@shurbuilders Maybe I do need to go down to Comcast to see about a new box. Mine is a big gray metal one with goles all over the top. Also thanks for the heads up on the new HDMIs. Had no idea there were new versions!

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 6, 2012 4:10:08 AM PST
shurbuilders says:
Gordon, the big gray metal Comcast boxes are definitely "old school"! Go get yourself one of the newer, significantly smaller, black HD boxes and see if it makes a difference on the HDMI Black Level setting. And let us know what happens!

Posted on Mar 6, 2012 5:47:01 AM PST
shurbuilders says:
Additionally, Gordon, Category 2 HDMI cables are also called "high-speed" HDMI cables, as opposed to "standard" HDMI cables, as explained on HDMI.org:

*Standard (or "category 1") HDMI cables have been tested to perform at speeds of 75Mhz or up to 2.25Gbps, which is the equivalent of a 720p/1080i signal.
*High Speed (or "category 2") HDMI cables have been tested to perform at speeds of 340Mhz or up to 10.2Gbps, which is the highest bandwidth currently available over an HDMI cable and can successfully handle 1080p signals including those at increased color depths and/or increased refresh rates from the Source. High-Speed cables are also able to accommodate higher resolution displays, such as WQXGA cinema monitors (resolution of 2560 x 1600).

I don't know if having a high-speed vs. a standard HDMI cable affects whether the HDMI Black Level setting is available, but it might be worth a try if upgrading the Comcast HDMI box doesn't do the trick. Of course, you might want to confirm that your current HDMI cable isn't already a high-speed one before buying a new one (although decent high-speed HDMI cables are available on Amazon for under ten dollars, or even under five dollars).

Posted on Mar 7, 2012 11:54:57 PM PST
Rachel says:
Does the stand swivel???

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 8, 2012 1:12:44 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Mar 8, 2012 1:12:57 AM PST
Gordon says:
@Rachel Nope. You screw it on actually. The TV is very light though, so moving it manually isn't a big deal.

Posted on Mar 12, 2012 10:32:43 AM PDT
G. Gibson says:
How matte/glossy is the screen? (And thanks for the great review.)
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... 20 Next ›