5.0 out of 5 stars Simply Outstanding!, May 4, 2011
This review is from: Canon VIXIA HF G10 Full HD Camcorder with HD CMOS Pro and 32GB Internal Flash Memory (Electronics)
Let me first start out by saying, I originally wasn't going to spend so much on a new camcorder. I had bought the Canon HF 100 a few years ago, and was fairly happy with it. It was nice, but definitely had its drawbacks. So, I started researching Canon's new line for 2011 and was torn between the M40 and G10. Having the new CMOS Pro sensor was a must. Everything I read about the low light capabilities sold me. Basically Canon went with a smaller pixel count (exactly 1920 x 1080), which in turn makes the pixels larger and better in low light shooting. I originally bought the M40 and was very happy with it, but started to realize it wasn't fitting all my needs. That went back, and I went with the G10. I have not looked back since!

People might wonder what the biggest difference is between the two, and the big ones in my opinion are the manual lens control, wide angle lens (makes a HUGE difference in my opinion), larger LCD (3.5 in. vs. 3 in.), color viewfinder, and dual recording slots that let you record to both sd cards at the same time. Boy, I wish I had this feature two weeks ago for my niece's second birthday party. My sd card got corrupted while using the M40 and I lost her blowing out her candles and eating the first piece of cake. Now, if I had the G10, I would have had a backup of it recording to both slots simultaneously.

Image quality wise, I couldn't be happier. The video quality just pops out and is silky smooth. I have made a couple videos with it and people are just in awe of the quality. I usually record in 60i because I like the smoothness. I know there are benefits of recording in 30p and 24p, but for home videos, I prefer 60i. Now if I was doing an amateur film, I'd probably go with the true 24p this camera offers. This camera has a lot of setting to meet your shooting requirements. I know a lot of people wish Canon included a 60p mode, but I honestly don't see a reason for it, at least not now. Everything I've read about it, editing 60p is a complete nightmare. No thanks.

Speaking of modes, it does have an auto, manual, and cinema options. Manual of course gives you countless options, and cinema mode offers a variety of shooting preferences such as cool, vivid, dream, b/w, etc. You can search on youtube and see demonstrations of each.

One of the big selling points for me was the wide angle lens. Now I know you can always buy an optional attachment wide angle lens for the M40, but they add a lot of extra weight and in my opinion inconvenience of carrying around more equipment than necessary. I also think by the time you add in that cost to the camera, it's not that much cheaper. I love having the wide angle lens built in and with me at all times. It's truly something you get used to, and you won't want to be without.

Build quality is exactly what I expect from any Canon product. Feels sturdy and should hold up to a lot of wear and tear. I've never had any issues with previous Canon products breaking on me, so I would expect the same from this one. I would say the only thing I don't like on the newer Canons opposed to the older models is the touchscreen. It's simply not as responsive as I would like. I'm probably spoiled on my iphone's silky smooth touch controls. I guess it's just something I'll have to get used to. The only other feature I really miss from older camcorders is night vision. I don't know why most companies got rid of this feature. I still bust out my old Sony SR45 for those occasions.

In conclusion, if you're looking for an excellent prosumer camcorder with amazing low light, controls, and options, you won't be disappointed with the HF G10. I've already ordered the DM-100 external mic (I like to do lots of outdoor shooting, so I need to eliminate the wind noise the best I can), and already have the VL-5 from my previous camcorder for better dark shooting. I think I'm set for almost all recording situations. I hope this was an informative review. Thanks for reading.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 4 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-6 of 6 posts in this discussion
Initial post: May 5, 2011 12:58:44 PM PDT
Excellent review...you've convinced me... now if I could only find one to buy!!!!

In reply to an earlier post on May 5, 2011 3:03:48 PM PDT
Thanks. They are extremely hard to find right now, but be patient. Don't pay these inflated costs people are asking. I got mine for $1349 out the door!

Posted on Dec 18, 2011 4:01:18 AM PST
D. F. Abella says:
hi, i have hf m41. the noise is noticeable when i shoot indoor but outdoor during the day is superb. i read in the canon website that the hf g10 and hf m41 have the same sensor. i don't know if it is worth it to upgrade to hf g10?? maybe it has the same noise with hf m41. i normally take video indoor. could you kindly advise. many thanks.

Posted on Jan 17, 2012 11:37:13 AM PST
PhiQuanTu says:
Hi, can you check and confirm if this Vixia HF G10 has the wide angle lense as stock? I thought we have to shell out another $400 on the "Canon - WD-H58W 0.8x Wide Converter Lens" offered by the manufacturer.

Posted on Mar 21, 2012 11:02:34 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Mar 21, 2012 11:11:19 PM PDT
Valleyboy17 says:
The reason they got rid of the "night vision" on most if not all consumer camcorders is that people were
turning it on during the day in order to look through (mostly) womens' clothes so they could see their underwear. At first, the manufacturers made it "impossible" to turn on infra-red video during the day.

There is a youtube video demonstrating how to fool the sensor into using infrared vision during the day to make the camera do it anyway. search for "how to see through clothes with camcorder", or look at "WilliamRayWalters" channel for examples. It's fun. You can see right through his wife's clothes. And he has a very nice looking wife.

Posted on Aug 21, 2012 10:21:11 PM PDT
Great review. I was really looking for a comparison between the M40 and the G10.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›