4.0 out of 5 stars New to TaxCut, Pleased with it So Far, December 1, 2008
This review is from: H&R Block TaxCut 2008 Premium Federal + State + e-file [OLD VERSION] (CD-ROM)
I switched from TurboTax to TaxCut this year primarily due to Intuit's new pricing structure where they both raised the base price quite a bit and then they charge $9.95 for each additional return you want to prepare beyond the first one. Given those changes, it was time to try something else.

So far I am very pleased with TaxCut. It imported my TurboTax data from last year without any problems at all. It also will import data from Quicken, though I don't use that option.

It is a different interface and takes a little getting used to, but then TurboTax's interface changes every year also so with either product one is going to have to adjust to some new interface quirks.

Of course, it is pretty early to be running software, since the IRS is still finalizing things for 2008, and such things as the Alternative Minimum Tax haven't been nailed down, but TaxCut still did a very good job helping me see where I was going to come out on my taxes for 2008. And that includes my schedule C for a consulting business. Obviously, there will be a bunch of updates in a few weeks, but that is to be expected from any Tax Software at this stage.

TaxCut also did a nice job helping me plan for 2009 taxes as well. I had already done some planning using a Numbers Spreadsheet on the Macintosh and so I could tell whether TaxCut was pretty accurate. It was.

Overall, for those who are thinking about switching to TaxCut this year from TurboTax, my take is that I found it easy to do.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 33 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Dec 1, 2008 5:57:45 PM PST
crisscross96 says:
Thanks for the review. I have used TurboTax for the past 20 years and am going to switch to Tax Cut this year as well for the same pricing reasons.

Posted on Dec 2, 2008 1:37:16 PM PST
S. Aghassy says:

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 2, 2008 6:02:32 PM PST
CS says:
Not exactly. The charge for e-filing additional returns has always been an extra, that's not new. The difference is that in past years you could use TurboTax to prepare and print multiple returns, and pay just the additional e-filing fees if you wanted. Starting this year, you pay an additional charge for each return you prepare, PLUS the e-filing charge if you don't want to send printed forms. It is a pretty hefty price increase, done in a somewhat sleazy way. Hence the customer ire.

I have used TurboTax for a long time, and have used TaxCut a couple of times. I have a slight preference for the former, but I don't think it's 80% better.

Intuit seems quite determined to annoy long-time customers of Quicken as well as TurboTax -- they must be under the impression that they have the same market power that Microsoft (still) has. Time for us to dispute that, no?

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 3, 2008 7:05:54 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 3, 2008 7:10:11 AM PST
J. Galloway says:
If you are only doing one return it may not matter to you. However, for those of us who use tax software to complete one or more additional returns for family members (4 additional returns in my case) we do not want to pay for every unique return we print! In the past TurboTax did not change to print additional unique returns. This year they changed their policy to the tune of $9.95 per printed return as well as upping the base price of the software a hefty amount.

I was a long-time user of TurboTax. If the latest version of TaxCut continues to garner decent reviews I plan on voting with my wallet and making the switch to it this year.

Posted on Dec 3, 2008 11:08:02 AM PST
RJC says:
Thanks for your review, MacGuy. I am also bailing from TT this year because of their sneaky and arrogant pricing/fee structure this year.
I needed to know that importing TT data is a smooth process and your comments are very reassuring.

Posted on Dec 3, 2008 11:26:16 AM PST
[Deleted by Amazon on Jan 16, 2010 11:25:09 AM PST]

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 3, 2008 2:29:34 PM PST
Jack L. Serk says:
I agree with Larry. I have always used Turbo Tax but they are pricing themselves beyond the normal user. I can use every other product I have to print anything I want. I have NEVER heard of the practice where you are limited by a purchased program to a one-time use. We are in a recession, and I hope Tubo Tax really feels the sting of that recession.

Posted on Dec 3, 2008 2:35:02 PM PST
HDRoadKing says:
After using TT for over 10 years, I was about to place my order for 2008 when I saw all the negative reviews regarding the new pricing structure. I just finished sending my negative comments to Intuit and informed them of my intention to look at alternatives. After reading "MacGuy"'s review of Taxcut, I think that's the way to go. I used Taxcut once before quite a few years ago, and although I had no problem with it, I returned to TT because of familiarity reasons. However, between the increase in price and this new idiotic "printing" charge, I think it's time to say goodbye to TT. Thank's for the review "MacGuy".

Posted on Dec 4, 2008 9:28:44 AM PST
choffman41 says:
Add me to the list of long time TT users who will abandon them this year. Raising the price or lowering the quality is bad enough, but to do both simultaneously is too much. Hopefully enough people will rejct this blatant ripoff to send them a message. Adios TT, hello Tax cut.

Posted on Dec 4, 2008 9:34:13 AM PST
BlahBlahBlah says:
Note that the price of TaxCut also increased this year from $29 to $49 for those who do not e-file. I do not e-file because I always owe the IRS money every year and hence there is no advantage in the IRS processing my returns faster.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 Next ›