2.0 out of 5 stars Bundle is junk, buy camera on its own!, October 16, 2011
This review is from: Canon EOS Rebel T3i 18 MP CMOS Digital SLR Camera with EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS II Zoom Lens & EF 75-300mm f/4-5.6 III Telephoto Zoom Lens + 11pc Bundle 16GB Deluxe Accessory Kit (Camera)
I bought this bundle impressed with the value of the contents for the price. Boy was I wrong! I should've bought the camera on its own and the individual pieces locally at a camera accessory store. The T3i and 18-55mm lense are great! The 75-300mm lense is NOT the IS-USM(image stabilized, ultra sonic motor) version. It doesn't have the image stablization which is helpful for a lense with that range. Also the focusing is loud and slow compared to the USM version of the same lense. The extra battery included is an off brand and is super light. Compared to the Canon battery that comes with the camera I doubt this battery weighs 1/3 or performs for very long at all. The SDHC 16gb card that came with the bundle is only a class 2 (the lowest, new cards are class 10), which means transfer from the camera to the card is slow, extremely slowing down the rapid fire/burst function. The 'high speed' card reader is junk. The 1st time I used the reader to transfer images to my computer it corrupted the SD card and gave me a 'card access error.' I lost all my photos! I have since found out I could've taken the card to a local camera shop and they have a rescue program to restore corrupted cards (If I had only known before I accepted the loss of some great photos and formatted the card). The camera bag is decent quality. The tripod is super cheap and low quality. The neck on the tripod will not stay up (no locking feature) and is wobbly. First time using it with a light breeze outside and the tripod nearly blew over with my camera attached! Luckily I caught it.

All in all, I would NOT recommend this package even though I do recommend the camera. I have since had to purchase a new class 10 SDHC card, new HQ tripod, and new high speed card reader.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 1 customer

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-7 of 7 posts in this discussion
Initial post: May 8, 2012 9:12:34 PM PDT
Amit Mahale says:
Thanks buddy for the honest feedback, appreciate it. as i was also impressed with the package but sniffed something fishy

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 18, 2012 9:54:12 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jul 18, 2012 9:54:22 AM PDT
Hi, I have the 75-300mm lens and I like it a lot but I'm new so if I were to have a similar lens but better which one would I choose? I am returning my canon T3 kit and getting the T3i so I get to pick out a new lens. I do a lot of close up shots of people so I use that 75-300mm lens but it is hard to focus and get it super sharp and I want super sharp focus on the face and eyes but I don't' want to spend much more $$, can you advise? Thanks!

Posted on Aug 20, 2012 2:04:27 PM PDT
Srini says:
I would have feel in to the trap, had i not seen your feedback. I really appreciate it.

Posted on Oct 6, 2012 1:12:01 PM PDT
J. Whelan says:
Thank you for the honest review. I too would have fallen for the offer, if it were not for your review. After reading the review, I noticed that I could not find a description of the 75-300mm lens. I wonder why?

Purchased a similar bundle at Costco for the same price. It includes a 75-250mm Canon lens.

Posted on Dec 25, 2012 2:47:22 PM PST
I agree this ""The 75-300mm lense is NOT the IS-USM"" alone costs a $100 or so gap . I got this lens separately with IS, but these days I see almost every cannon bundle comes with this lens which has no IS.

Posted on May 25, 2014 3:58:12 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 25, 2014 4:00:26 PM PDT
JoeK says:
Come on folks do some research, it takes all of about 30 seconds to verify the Canon 70-300mm IS USM lens is an appx. 400 dollar product. How could you buy a "bundle" that includes the camera body and two IS lenses for 600 or so dollars, even if the accessories are junk? If you look, you will find used Canon IS tele lenses that are half price of new. I have bought used lenses for almost 50 years now and if you are careful, you can get amazing buys. But never, ever be in a hurry to buy any electronics or cameras with out first knowing what you are getting. The reviewer here probably saved some of you a hassle by pointing out the tele lens in this deal is not an IS, now go further and compare the items you are getting in this bundle with what you want, word for word.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 17, 2014 7:04:43 PM PDT
Ryan says:
JoeK you are absolutely correct, the bundle being offered here isn't a bad deal, if the camera had image stabilization it would say.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›