5.0 out of 5 stars Even Finu Lanu: Kid Without Street Cred loves this one!, October 1, 2007
This review is from: Run Dmc (Audio CD)
Okay, first let me say that I don't even listen to rap. I'm a dorky suburban white kid who spends his spare time chilling to Miles Davis, writing crappy poems, sharing said poems with friends, who show me poems of their own, which are usually much better, and setting those poems to a piano melody. I don't get out much. I couldn't tell Jay-Z from Snoop Dogg. As my entire school learned at Homecoming, I cannot dance, and I cannot get funky. And here I am telling you to buy this as soon as possible. It's just that good! Part of the reason why I like this so much is because it's got rock in it. "Rock Box" and "Hard Times" mix Run and DMC's deft rap skills with blazing riffs. And the just plain rap songs are just as good: "Sucker M.C.'s", loaded with clever rhymes, ties with the socially conscience "It's Like That" (almost an '80s "Inner City Blues") as my favorite rap ever. And DJ Jam-Master Jay provides fascinating rhythms and turntable stuff ("Hollis Crew"; "Jam-Master Jay"; "Jay's Game"). By the way, Jam-Master Jay's murder embodies everything I don't like about the modern hip-hop culture: it's descended into petty record company feuding taken to the extreme, and sadly embodied on many of today's rap hits - part of the reason why I don't really listen to the genre. Dr. Dre's influence was a very bad one. So, right, no more soapboxing. For the record, the late Jam Master played bass, drums, and keyboards on this one - live drums too, not your stupid fake drum-machine crap. I hate drum machines! Except for Prince drum machines, that is. Anyway, a lot of other songs have plenty to say, including the funky, idealistic "Wake Up", an ode to peace that blows the living crap out of today's "gang-banger" hits and is one of the weaker songs on this album. Can you believe that? 50 Cent could never dream of writing a song that good, and this is one of my least favorite cuts on the record. Does that give you any idea of how essential this album is, even if you don't like rap? "Thirty Days" is probably the worst cut overall, and even then it's got a great keyboard part. I just love this album and then some. I've heard maybe seven rap albums (and two were atrocious Eminem efforts), and this is the best of them.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 15 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Oct 2, 2007 1:54:21 PM PDT
Zen Station says:
Have you heard any OutKast albums? "ATLiens," "Aquemini," and "Stankonia" are ALL masterpieces. They are definitely boundary pushers. Some stuff I respect a whole lot. A Tribe Called Quest can be fine every once in awhile. Blackalicious are real innovators and the music comes before image; "Blazing Arrow" has "Chemical Calisthenics" which is a track with multiple tempos, something I never had heard in the genre before.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 2, 2007 6:26:09 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 2, 2007 6:26:41 PM PDT
finulanu says:
I've heard a lot of praise for OutKast and a Tribe Called Quest, and I do like The Way You Move. I've been considering getting some OutKast for a long time now, actually, but haven't gotten around to it yet.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 3, 2007 5:55:02 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 3, 2007 7:38:38 AM PDT
D. Lee says:
D*mn Zen, it's like you were peeking inside my head or something: Outkast and A Tribe Called Quest are my two favorite hip-hop groups ever, and Blazing Arrow is one of the smartest and most interesting albums I've heard so far this millennium. But I will say that Tribe can be far more than fine *once* in a while, their first three albums are all classics. I can almost guarantee you Fin that People's Instinctive Travels..., Tribe's first album, will be one of the funnest records that you've ever heard in your life.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 3, 2007 9:54:11 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 3, 2007 9:56:43 AM PDT
wally gator says:
RUN DMC were good stuff. I think Tougher Than Leather was my favorite album, or the one that had Walk this Way (...cuz it had the song Peter Piper on it)

Also agree fully about Outkast. Allthough I think they have sort of sold out since Stankonia (which was def a masterpeice), all of their albums prior to that one are worth listening to. I hold them above the bar of hip hop. Aquemini has some guest vocals from George Clinton that are very cool.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 3, 2007 1:31:04 PM PDT
finulanu says:
I'll definitely check out ATCQ, then. And Tougher Than Leather is my second-favorite Run-DMC album after this one.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 3, 2007 7:09:42 PM PDT
Jenny J.J.I. says:
Go Fin! Go Fin! I'm happy that you took some time out to appreciate these guys. Yes, Messrs. Run, DMC and Jam-Master Jay would be quickly overtaken by late 80s rap legends like Public Enemy, NWA, the Juice Crew and so on, but none of them could have done it without these guys. My album highlights are: Hard Times, Sucker MCs, Rock Box, and It's Like That. Your review was pretty humorous to read and I'm glad you enjoy this album.

P.S. I agree with everyone that had mention Outkast and ATCQ earlier works cause they have also giving a peace of history towards this genre.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 3, 2007 7:34:54 PM PDT
wally gator says:
P.S. Have you ever heard Beastie Boys Pauls Boutique? Cuz thats the ultimate I think.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 3, 2007 7:49:50 PM PDT
finulanu says:
Thanks, Jen! Our highlights pretty much are the same, with me adding on Hollis Crew.

And to Wally, I haven't heard Paul's Botique, but it's certainly on the list - ever since I first heard No Sleep Till Brooklyn, I've been wanting to really discover the Beasties. And now I'll check out OutKast, too. Aquamenai is the big one, right?

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 4, 2007 5:48:12 AM PDT
D. Lee says:
Aquemini is great but I'm totally with wally gator, I think Stankonia is their masterpiece. Everything that's great about the group, especially their boundless desire to expand and experiment, just comes together perfectly on that release. And the crazy kinetic energy on that album is infectious.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 4, 2007 9:46:17 AM PDT
Zen Station says:
The Beasties are interesting. "Licensed to Ill" is fine but I find the later works to be more artistically pleasing, even if a review of "Paul's Boutique" revealed I was taking it for granted. But I respect them bunches and like the early '90's albums the most.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›

Review Details

Item

4.8 out of 5 stars (45 customer reviews)

Add to wishlist