3.0 out of 5 stars Show had potential, episodes are mediocre, DVD set is weak, January 9, 2005
This review is from: Crusade: The Complete Series (DVD)
Everything I know about "Crusade" indicates that it would have grown up into a TV show nearly as spectacular and flawless as B5. Everything I've read about JMS's plans, everything I know about the cast, and everything that's laid out in these first few episodes points to that inescapable conclusion.

This show was gonna be good.

However... it wasn't good. It didn't have a chance to get good. The cast and crew hadn't quite worked out the kinks yet. The writers hadn't found their groove. The CG effects weren't *quite* where they needed to be to do landscapes. The musical scores overreached. The costuming... sigh. In short, this half-season of TV was pretty bad.

Hold your horses, though. Let me repeat: It was *going* to get good. Every scene, mediocre, bad, or funny, all seemed to say, "Just wait 'til the end of the season when we're going full-steam. We'll knock your socks off."

But the TV executives, short-sighted as they were, killed the show before it got revved up. Then they added insult to injury by packaging these few episodes in a weak set, skimping on features, and overpricing it.

My advice? If you don't already love "Crusade," don't buy it. I firmly believe that it could have become a great show, but there is no greatness evidenced in these episodes, this box set, or this price. Go watch B5 instead. At least *those* overpriced sets are worth their weight in gold.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 1 customer

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-5 of 5 posts in this discussion
Initial post: May 26, 2009 5:12:09 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 26, 2009 5:13:08 AM PDT
H. Keller says:
I have to agree with this critique. I had not seen the series since its original run, and I recently bought the set and held off watching. I did a marathon over the recent memorial Day weekend. While I liked the characters, the plots were pretty mediocre. In spite of there being a story arc, it didn't seem like most of the tales were related to the central these - sort of like Star Trek where they just roamed around space until they found something strange.

As for special effects, at first I just thought they didn't stand the test of time, but I think form the most part, they were low-bidder jobs. My impression was that they improved in the last two or three episodes, but it was too late. But for me, the story - not explosions - are what count. This was poor material, performed well, by a good cast.

Posted on Nov 5, 2011 2:28:13 AM PDT
TomK1 says:
I recently started watching it and I found it virtually unwatchable. The pilot writing is so bad as to be laughable, which is disappointing. I'm not even sure I can make it past episode 2, its actually a chore to watch.

The premise, the dialog is written like an old pulp sci-fi, it feels like its geared towards kids, not adults. B5 was probably the first and last great sci-fi on TV (at least after the first season).

This series is kind of a mess.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 3, 2012 5:19:01 PM PST
no good sci since b5?
stargate was awesome. and there's been great shows like ''primeval' and a few others that were top notch. but space craft shows don't exist anymore. and the effects were not completely terrible for the time period this show aired. oh yeah I liked andromeda. the whole company that made that one went under though.

Posted on Sep 1, 2013 3:48:28 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 1, 2013 3:49:02 PM PDT
"The musical scores overreached." - That summed it up for me... it was as if the writers, when stumped for a competent plot scenario simply wrote in: "Turn down dialogue and PLAY ANNOYING MUSIC WITH AN EMPHASIS ON DRUMS REALLY, REALLY LOUD!" And then they prayed they got their paycheck before the episode aired, I guess.

Every damned episode when there should have been some key dialogue they fell back on the contrivance of "dramatically random music played at an annoyingly high volume" What's worse is that you can often see the character's speaking... you just can't hear them. Nothing but idiotic music.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 5, 2014 4:38:16 PM PST
I agree completely. I couldn't get past the second disc. The whold show seemed cheesy to me. Basically, everything from the acting to the writing and directing was a mediocrity. I should have known better, as I was not a B5 fan. I bought it at Wally World on the cheap and eventually gave it away.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›

Review Details

Item

4.0 out of 5 stars (329 customer reviews)

$29.98 $24.95