4.0 out of 5 stars Bruce Does A Roast On His Fans And Himself, December 4, 2008
This review is from: My Name Is Bruce (DVD)
Bruce Campbell seems to have a kind of love/hate thing going with his fan base. Sure, like any actor he enjoys having fans, but as he's stated in his book and elsewhere that his fans can get a bit outrageous and push things far. This seems to be what sparked My Name Is Bruce. Here he pokes fun at his fandom as well as his career.
In the film he plays Bruce Campbell, but a more fictional Bruce Campbell. He's egocentric, a drunk, lives in a trailer, un-liked and un-respected by the cast and crew of his films, and just an all around jerk. A teen in a small gold mining town called Gold Lick has mistakenly unleashed the ancient Chinese god of war, Guan-Di, and now the angry god is killing off the folks of Gold Lick. The teen, Jeff, also happens to be a Bruce Campbell fanatic. He manages to kidnap Campbell and bring him to Gold Lick where he has convinced the townspeople that Bruce will destroy the evil demon. Bruce is under the impression that he's doing some kind of movie(it doesn't totally make sense why he'd think that he's in a movie when there's no film crew around or why the townspeople would believe that a horror movie actor could really be a ghost buster, but who cares?). He goes coward when the reality of the situation becomes clear, but soon learns how to be the Bruce Campbell he's always portrayed himself to be. I know what you're thinking! My wife tapped my shoulder half way through the movie and said to me, "this reminds me a lot of the Three Amigos". True, it's a very similar concept-the idea of egocentric actors finding themselves in real danger when they think they're only in "reel" danger, but in the end discover that they are heroes.
Needless to say it is a fun movie. Naturally we're dealing with a comedy here, not a horror film. While the laughs are hit and miss, some of them predictable and a bit cliched, this movie really works because of Bruce. We all know that Bruce has a helluva screen charisma and can singlehandedly carry practically any movie just off of his charm. He also directed this movie. It's low budget of course, and Bruce certainly makes the best of that. He built the town of Gold Lick on his own property in Oregon. The supporting cast is decent too, mostly unknowns. Ted Raimi has multiple roles, each a different nationality, allowing him try multiple accents. His Asian character just isn't funny though. Too much of a stereotype Chinese guy. He reminded me of Mickey Rooney in Breakfast At Tiffany's.
It's great how Campbell makes fun of his fans and fandom, yet doesn't totally insult them. He's also able to take potshots at himself and his career. At one point he steals a kid's bike to get away from Guan-Di, and the kid yells at him, "McHale's Navy sucked!!" Funny stuff. He really lays into his flop, Alien Apocalypse, but thinly disguises it here as a film called Cave Alien. Plus there are many more in-jokes that you will definitely pick up on if you're familiar with many of Campbell's films.
Campbell is touring the country right at the moment showing the film and doing 20-30 minutes Q&A sessions after. I'd highly suggest attending this if possible. It's good support for Bruce as well as low budget cinema in general. Plus the man is a treat to see and hear in person. Just as funny and charming as you think he'd be.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 1 customer

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-9 of 9 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Dec 5, 2008 12:38:52 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 5, 2008 12:52:53 PM PST
Well Stan...You have done it again! Brought to my attention a movie I have not heard of.
And yes who can not like Bruce? He really has great chemistry with the camera and if he was not in
Maniac Cop I doubt I would own it. It is sad when fans can go to far and years ago I had a E-mail
relationship with Jeff (HERBERT WEST) Combs after about 5 E-mails back and forth I had not heard
from him and I was like..That's cool. He is busy and to talk to him even once was fair enough. Really
would like to see this and BUBBA HO TEP which is directed by none other than Don PHANTASM Coscarelli
hope all is well

WATCH HORROR FILMS...KEEP AMERICA STRONG!

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 6, 2008 3:51:44 AM PST
Stanley Runk says:
Exchanging emails with Combs would be very cool I say!! He seems like a guy who really likes his fans. I met him in Canada and there were people in line behind me. My friend was with me and he was wearing a Butthole Surfers tshirt(this is an important point, mind you). After we did our "Hi, how are you"s handshakes, pictures, autographs and such, we walked off. Combs left the line and scurried over to us where he started talking to my friend about the Butthole Surfers and how the band was on the soundtrack of the film Love & A .45(a low budget film where Combs plays a hitman). That was really something and I've had the highest respect for Combs ever since. You think Ben Stiller or that Hannah Montana chick would do something like that??
And yes, see Bubba Ho-Tep for sure. You'll like it, but as one character in My Name Is Bruce said, "Everybody liked Bubba Ho-Tep".

Posted on Dec 10, 2008 7:47:01 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 10, 2008 7:48:54 PM PST
Karen Shaub says:
Oh crap! I knew if I didn't jump on this somebody would beat me to it. But then I haven't bought the dvd yet and I thought it would be kind of cheating to review the movie based on the Dark Horse comic book that came out several months ago. The comic wasn't very good, but it sounds as if the film might be a few cuts above it since charisma isn't something that transfers well to the printed page. Nice job on this one. I have a feeling that it wouldn't fair nearly as well at the hands of a non-Bruce Campbell fan--although its difficult to believe that such an animal truly exists.

Maybe this time I'll get to catch him. I missed him when he was in Tampa with BUBBA-HO-TEP since I only found out about it a week before hand and that wasn't nearly enough time to put in for annual at work. (Yeah, I could have called in sick, but it would have literally meant my job if anyone had seen me.)

And Clint, have you checked out SUNDOWN--THE VAMPIRE IN RETREAT? Bruce only has a supporting role in that, but he still manages to steal the film. It was just released recently on dvd. I reviewed it awhile ago. Of course he's great in it.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 13, 2008 11:26:09 AM PST
Stanley Runk says:
Somebody at the Q& A session asked Bruce if there would ever be a comic based on this movie. Bruce said, "A comic? Well......there already is!"

Posted on Jan 13, 2009 1:02:15 PM PST
Sorry all, but this movie was a major disappointment. There is tongue in cheek, there is comedy, but this film just had neither of these - it's not funny (there are just moments) and while you may feel as if you don't want a plot, a story, or generally decent acting, I can't imagine how it could even be called "entertaining" even with Bruce in front of the camera and behind. The man has made a lot of bad movies (and more than a few classics), but, this film is both a failure of imagination and a sour note for fans.

Posted on Feb 10, 2009 5:06:17 PM PST
Dave. K says:
Yo Runk nice review. I just ordered the movie. Couldn't find it any stores

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 12, 2009 2:01:02 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 12, 2009 2:05:57 PM PST
Karen Shaub says:
I finally saw it, and I have to say I did enjoy it. Of course it could have been a lot better but having read the comic book in advance made me set my expectations EXTREMELY low. I've definitely sat through a lot worse flix than this. Like Bruce says in the flick, "Have you ever seen ASSAULT ON DOME 4?"

oH, BRUCE DOESN'T THINK HE'S IN A MOVIE, HE THINKS HIS AGENT HAS GIVEN HIM AS A BIRTHDAY PRESENT A SORT OF ROLE PLAYING GAME WHERE EVERYONE IS ON THE JOKE. (Sorry about the caps) and he gets to pretend he's really a hero without the cameras.

Posted on Jan 24, 2012 5:10:54 AM PST
Chris Cox says:
this film is bruce campbell poking fun at himself and a good many assumptions his "freaky" fans have about him and spitting it back out at everybody for a little personal justice in film form. most anything bruce "the b-movie mans tom cruise" campbell
stars in is going to be a classic, because, bruce IS, tha man!! i think i would know, a few months ago i paid about $70.00 for a copy of the Hong Kong ntsc RC3 print of the uncensored directors cut of army of darkness(1hr 36 min 16 sec, thats 24 sec. longer than the us anchor bay print) in the music dept. bruce campbell RULZ!!

Posted on Dec 25, 2013 2:32:15 PM PST
edmond hicks says:
havent seen it yet but looking forwards to it!
‹ Previous 1 Next ›