2.0 out of 5 stars Not the mobile monitor for me, here is a comparison of three models, December 28, 2011
This review is from: Toshiba 14-inch USB Ultra-portable Mobile LCD Monitor (Personal Computers)
The concept of a mobile monitor is great! I am so used to my two 25-inch desktop monitors that working from my laptop screen alone has become cumbersome and inefficient. These mobile monitor products allow me to have an extra screen for doing side-by-side data comparison and other multi-tasking needs.

I tried three different mobile monitor products and the Toshiba was the worst of the three for my needs. The Toshiba 14-inch mobile monitor had the following problems: even though my laptop is new, the Toshiba required that I use both USB ports on my computer to power it. The cord they included didn't reach both of my USB ports at the same time. It used up both of my USB ports and would not work with a multi-port adapter unless the adapter was powered. It was also too tall to fit in my laptop bag, not because the viewable screen area is bigger, but because they included a wide strip of plastic under the screen. The AOC e1649Fwu was nice and much cheaper ($130). It ran well from one USB port. The picture was good, and the screen is 16 inches which is larger than the other two. Even though the screen was bigger it still fit in my laptop bag. The drawbacks of the AOC were that the screen was not anti-glare, it was thicker and round on the back so it took up more space in my laptop bag, and it didn't come with a protective case. The Lenovo was the best one for me and it is the one I kept. The Lenovo works well off of one USB port, has an anti-glare screen, fits very nicely in my laptop bag, includes a protective case, has easy brightness adjustment, and draws less power than the other two (5W). It is more expensive ($199) but well worth the extra money for me.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 6 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 12 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jan 16, 2012 10:13:29 AM PST
nehopsa says:
Thank you for comparison. I am sitting on the fence and cannot decide. There is no "ideal" usb powered monitor out there at this time.

Posted on Feb 1, 2012 4:09:31 PM PST
Jim in VA says:
The problems you had with the Toshiba must be related to the laptop you are using. I bought the AOC and didn't like it at all. Even though it was light and inexpensive compared to the Toshiba or Lenovo, it was too thick. If felt like it was full of air! The resolution on the AOC was terrible and too dark. Some have reported the AOC is too bright. Either way it has no adjustment. After buying the Toshiba I saw your review and thought I might have to send the Toshiba back too, but when I tried it I was very happy, especially in comparison with the AOC. It is slightly taller than my HP Probook 15.6", but thin enough to fit in the compact case that I use for the Probook. It powers up fine with one usb plugged in to the opposite side of the laptop. I use it as a dual monitor side by side, just like at my office. It is just bright enough and the dim switch is too dim. I tried a netflix video and it was pretty good, but that is not how I use it. I use it for multitasking. It may be the ideal monitor will to some extent depend on the laptop that you use it with, but for me, I don't need to keep looking. Finally, the leather integral case for the Toshiba is great. The monitor looks classy, especially compared to the AOC and it seems higher quality. I have no doubt that the Lenovo is high quality and I might have been ok with it too, but I did save a few bucks on the Toshiba so that turned out to be a bonus. FWIW, for others who are comparing the available usb portable monitors! Jim

Posted on May 21, 2012 10:18:45 AM PDT
A. Tovar says:
Do you remember if the Toshiba had an anti-glare screen? If so that might explain (partly) the dim/unbright screen?

Posted on Jul 28, 2012 1:33:58 AM PDT
The toshiba has anti-glare screen and very fine finishing, there are 3 buttons in the front.- on/off, bright and dim, so you can turn it off without unplug it, and switch between 2 brightness levels.

Posted on Oct 24, 2012 5:31:09 PM PDT
M. Holman says:
Thank you very much for the objective review.

Posted on Feb 4, 2013 9:05:34 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 4, 2013 9:09:03 AM PST
LondonTiger says:
has this product been revised? I saw a youtube video of this monitor uploaded 2011. It showed the monitor only using 1 USB port on the laptop. Your review states 2?? I'm confused,.

OK update: the number of USB ports required to power depends on your laptop. Some laptops output low voltage per USB so it needs to be powered by 2. Check the yt video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tWG1VsPrz4M

if I cannot post the url above^ go on yt and search for "Toshiba 14" USB Powered Portable LCD"

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 4, 2013 11:09:16 AM PST
The monitor's cable has 2 usb ports, one for data and power, and the 2nd one for extra power only. Old laptops don't provide enough power thru usb ports, so you may need to plug the 2nd one, if you have that type of usb2 laptop ports.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 6, 2013 1:52:14 PM PST
Rob says:
I am currently evaluating the Toshiba with a MacBook Pro Core i7 2.2GHz (15.4 Late 2011).

Summary:

I was expecting it to be an average performer based on some reviews, but I've been using it for three days now, and I've found that I don't think about it when I am using it. That tells me that it's working well for my use (devops work; a mix of software development and systems integration).

Details:

1. It only requires one USB connection to work normally.

2. There are two brightness settings; if there were five, I'd say the brightness levels for it would be in the 2-4 range, where 1 would be dim and 5 would be very bright. Supposedly, if you get the optional Toshiba AC adapter, it can get much brighter.

3. The monitor does have an anti-glare screen. My work environment this week is a hotel room that doesn't have a lot of light or glare, so it's not the best test for glare resistance. Still, for what it's worth, I can't see any reflections at all, so that's good.

4. The integrated cover and stand are slick. They're not fancy, but they do the job well. Nice work, Toshiba.

5. Am considering finding a right-angle mini-usb cable to make it stick out less on the side, but it's not a problem at all; just a personal preference.

Will update this review if I have anything new to add.

Posted on Mar 30, 2013 7:20:21 PM PDT
THanks for the details review. Is this monitor Made in China or Made in Japan?

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 3, 2013 8:08:49 AM PDT
Jeff says:
Trying to determine if this monitor will work with Macs, you've answered my question, thank you !
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›

Review Details

Item

4.2 out of 5 stars (77 customer reviews)

Used & New from: $99.00