5.0 out of 5 stars Almost returned it! Glad I didn't!, March 26, 2012
This review is from: Panasonic VIERA TC-L32E5 32-Inch 1080p 60Hz Full HD IPS LED-LCD TV (2012 Model) (Electronics)
My family always buys Japanese brands. We have never been disappointed. In fact we have had to repair only one product - a microwave made in 1997. The "Add 30 Seconds" key became loose after 14 years of abuse!

I bought this TV to use as a monitor. At first I could not figure out how to solve the overscan problem (the edges of the picture are cut off, so the TV displays only a part of the picture). So I almost returned it. The solution is very simple. Menu --- Picture --- Aspect Adjustments --- HD Size. The default is size 1. Just change it to size 2.

My setting is Vivid, with some modifications:

Color temperature: Normal
Backlight: 100
Contrast: 100
Color Intensity: 60
Brightness: 60
Sharpness: 0
Color mgmt: On
A.I. Picture: Off

The IPS-Alpha panel is great. Sharp's panels offer somewhat better picture quality, but Sharp TVs are big and expensive. For an affordable small TV, this is the best choice. There is a competing product from Samsung. Do yourself a favor and buy this TV or some other Japanese brand.

The TV enhances blue and green color. I am watching an anime called Squid Girl. There is a lot of blue color. It looks really good on this TV.

The panel is made in Japan. The TV is assembled in Mexico.

Colors are natural and accurate. Viewing angle is almost 180 degrees, as advertised. There is no ghosting when playing games.

There are only two cons, (1) no RCA audio out. The only audio output is toslink. I have to use a toslink-RCA converter. Now the sound is coming out from a Sony SRS-DB500 2.1 speaker system. (2) Playing computer games may cause more eye strain than a monitor.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 3 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 15 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Mar 30, 2012 10:34:10 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Mar 30, 2012 10:43:06 AM PDT
dennis says:
I believe most if not all Panasonic Products say Made In China. The video adjustment is in 4 choices vivid, custom, game & standard. I have found the best color in custom with least adjusting. Again I wish Panasonic or some other website had suggested settings because the defaults are not that good. The best default seems to be vivid.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 30, 2012 10:53:55 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Mar 30, 2012 10:55:32 AM PDT
Meng Qi says:
This TV is made in Mexico, but the panel (and likely some chips) are made in Japan.

Nowadays almost everything is made in China. Some are made by the company's own factory (Toshiba, Panasonic, etc) which has better quality assurance; while others are made by contractors (almost every American brand, and some Samsung/LG products).

Posted on Apr 2, 2012 11:50:03 AM PDT
I just realized this (No RCA out)!!! Grrr. I have an old sound bar that uses composite cables and now I cannot use it! I tried to make the audio settings work but nothing seems to make the TV push the audio out of the one dongle. The picture is awesome though.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 2, 2012 12:27:03 PM PDT
Meng Qi says:
You can get a toslink and a toslink-RCA converter. It worked great for me.

Still I think it is an awful idea to get rid of RCA Audio Out. Not just Panasonic but just about every company is doing that.

Posted on Apr 4, 2012 6:49:51 PM PDT
Mark Victor says:
All other things being equal, I would buy a Japanese model right now to help them out after the Tsunami disaster. Consumer Reports has in the past said Panasonic significantly more reliable than Samsung anyway.
Eventually I want to add Audioengine 5 speakers (when they get an optical in jack), but for right now I want the TV to have reasonably decent sound while listening to Music Blurays at moderate volume - but am having difficulty getting over the speakers in this TV being downward firing; how can that possibly sound good? Yet CNET.UK praised an apparently similar model for its sound, the Panasonic DT30 (a 2011 model), so perhaps it does.

Posted on Apr 5, 2012 2:49:45 PM PDT
Ray says:
There is an RCA out. There is a cable that comes with the TV that allows you to have RCA or composite.

Please read the manual.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 6, 2012 12:09:01 PM PDT
Mark Victor says:
I googled the manual and found it at manualowl, but it was in spanish. There is apparently a PDf file in English but I am using library computers and it wouldn't download the pdf reader, nor does it have its own. Do you know of another place I can find the manual?

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 6, 2012 11:43:48 PM PDT
Meng Qi says:
You are talking about RCA input into the TV, not output from the TV.

Please read the manual. The only audio output is the toslink. It seems that almost every major TV company is getting rid of RCA Audio Out.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 6, 2012 11:46:40 PM PDT
Meng Qi says:
Most complex documents, such as manuals, are in PDF.

Try Chrome browser. It can render PDF documents in itself.

Or search for "display pdf documents". There are websites that can render PDF documents.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 7, 2012 4:33:32 PM PDT
Mark Victor says:
Thank you for the reply, and the comment "search for display pdf documents" which I will certainly try. But I really am looking for RCA out, so that I can use my Sennheiser Wireless Headphones, which unfortunately accept only an analog input. I didn't realize that before purchasing the headphones that they would accept only RCA or headphone jack inputs, but I didn't return them because at Xmas 2011 I was able to get these (Amazon) for $220 - compare Sony Wireless headphones at $300+ - and they sound quite good, and are comfortable. At some point in the future I will probably will upgrade to Sony Wireless headphones which are 7.1 surround sound (particulularly looking forward to listening to Shakira Bluray CD in 7.1 surround sound on headphones). I might add that for now the Audioengine 5 powered speakers - which CNET.com really likes, and which would save me from having to purchase a separate amplifier - also only accept analog inputs, although other reviewers are expecting them (Audioengine) to upgrade to accepting optical digital input in 2013.
I might add that CNET.uk considers the speakers in this TV to be a downgrade from last years model Panasonic DT30. The UK model has a slightly different model number, but I believe its the same TV.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›