2.0 out of 5 stars Not Worth the Wait, Even for the Fans, June 14, 2011
= Fun:1.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Duke Nukem Forever - PC (Video Game)
I posted this same review for the BoS edition, which is the one I almost bought, thought I'd repost it here as there are people that just want the game, not the BoS edition.

I had the opportunity to play Duke Nukem Forever before it was released, and I played up to the levels after the "Queen Bitch" level, where you are outside, high up in the air climbing over the alien growth. The only reason I made it that far was because I am a fan of Duke and really wanted to see this through. So when Gearbox finally finished the game and proved all the skeptics wrong, I was stoked!

Unfortunately, after playing, I canceled my preorder for the balls of steel edition. As much as I enjoyed the previous Duke games, even as a fan I can't justify paying $90 for this game. I've also been told by friends and other people that bought the balls of steel edition that the items are underwhelming. A predictable anti climax if you ask me. But I'm not here to review the items, I want to talk about the game. That's the reason you're buying.

This game is worth the budget bin price of $10 - $15, at most. Kudos to Gearbox for just finishing it, and the graphics don't look amazing, but they don't look bad either. They managed to keep the cheesy macho American lines and overall character of Duke, but beyond those three things, I can't really say anything else good about the game.

Let me start off with the weapons. All your favorites from Duke Nukem 3D are in there, but the problem is, they feel like crap. I know the pistol isn't supposed to be powerful, but it doesn't even feel powerful. None of the weapons are really satisfying to use either, save for maybe the shrink ray and the rail gun. Not only that, but you can only carry two at a time. I can't help but think they only put this in here because of the fact it's going to be on consoles. The whole game is a tribute to the old Duke and how FPS games used to be, as in, you played a character that was practically a one man army.

Next, the A.I. is... From the same era as Half-Life 1. Yes that was groundbreaking, but that was also 1999! Enemies run at you or hide behind cover. That's it.

The level design isn't that good either. There isn't anything innovative and you know you're doing something wrong when, in a level where you control a car, you can't find where to go next. There are also moments where enemies will just spawn out of ships and you have to deal with wave after wave of enemies until they go away. This is lame and if I wanted to experience such cheap gameplay I would play Modern Warfare or Black Ops. The bosses are also pretty standard, just the regular shoot until it dies.

What I do like is that they managed to keep the theme of Duke with cheesy jokes and objectification if women. Though a lot of the people who might find this funny are pubeless thirteen year old boys. Of course, if this was released ten years ago, this might be a different story. By todays standards, and by that I mean Half-Life 2, not Bad Company 2, this game is mediocre at best. A tribute to how shooters used to be.

Overall there is some fun to be had, for a few minutes, but after that, I don't feel compelled to finish the game. The multiplayer has your standard modes and there's no co op, which might of made this a little more bearable going through it with a friend.

Gearbox are responsible for Opposing Force (the best expansion ever made) and Borderlands, so I expected the game to be ok, but not amazing. I thought this was reasonable considering how long we've had to wait, but the game failed to meet such low expectations. If they had made it from the ground up it might of been a good game, but that would of meant an even longer wait. Like I said, kudos for finishing it. I, like many other Duke fans will finally cross this one off the bucket list.

I've played all the most relevant, and some obscure or underrated FPS games on PC, but this is down there with the worst of the lot. If you really must play this game now, rent or borrow from a friend, or wait until it goes on budget. It's not worth full price. I'd give this game a 3/10.

Be the first person to comment on this review.

[Add comment]