ACDelco Radiators & Heating Components 100 Sci-Fi & Fantasy Shop Men's Watches Cloud Drive Photos nav_sap_plcc_6M_fly_beacon Janet Jackson belkin All-New Fire TV Stick with Voice Remote Grocery Introducing Handmade Find the Best Purina Pro Plan for Your Pet Amazon Gift Card Offer wdftv wdftv wdftv  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 Kindle Voyage Nintendo Digital Games Shop Now Learn more

1.0 out of 5 stars Co-dependent Bella: Act II, January 9, 2009
This review is from: New Moon (The Twilight Saga) (Paperback)
Anyone who enjoyed the first book but found the phrasing repetitive and the character of Bella to be mildly annoying, be warned.

Pgs 1-70 are actually interesting, aside from Bella being a brat about turning 18

Pgs 70-400 are basically the plot of the first book, recycled, with Jacob as the new love interest. As with Edward, she shuns the other kids at school, wants to spend all her time with him, and, when she finds out what he really is, she embraces it, meets the family...etc etc.

pgs 400-the end are essentially the only novelty to the book. Even so, it's ruined by the fact that Bella is so helpless and insecure. I don't understand why Edward loves you either, Bella, but he does. And I don't want to have to read 500 pages of him convincing you of that.

This book is basically ACT II of the first book, but with a few less obnoxious descriptions of Edward's bronze hair/marble body/topaz eyes, and a few more obnoxious descriptions of the aching hole/depression in Bella's soul when Edward leaves her.

Bella morphs from being slightly annoying and whiny, to being completely pathetic. Her world revolves around Edward, so when he leaves, she is left in a catatonic state...until eventually she decides to rebel and do crazy things, in the hopes that she might hear his voice (oh yes, that velvet voice of his is in this book too, and velvet must be on Meyer's 'favorite adjectives list").

But then Bella finds reason for living again, in the arms of another man, Jacob. Her basic attraction to him is based on...wait for it..."she's less miserable with him". Hmmm....the co-dependent latches on again. She completely leads him on, because the whole time she is with him, she is still thinking about Edward and how she can reunite her crazy messed up head with a precious delusion of him.

In the end, Edward and Jacob are mortal enemies (oh no!) and Bella is left choosing between the man who is the world to her, and the man who is the world to her when the man who really is the world to her is unavailable. Gee, I wonder who she'll choose in the end. Apparently Meyer wants us to think it's a toss up and plans to make another book of it. Yeah right.

I can only hope that the third book doesn't contain the following phrases and/or words, because I HATE THEM BY NOW:

velvet voice
touseled bronze hair
marble slab
perfect face
singing laughter
aching hole
russett skin
angelic anything
it felt like I was dreaming
I wasn't sure if it was a dream
it had to be a dream

[Add comment]
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Tracked by 8 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 34 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jan 12, 2009 4:59:00 AM PST
A. Amy says:
you forgot 'dazzling'. :)

Posted on Jan 13, 2009 6:11:32 PM PST
leilakalomi says:
Come on, those phrases make for a great drinking game!

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 15, 2009 5:19:15 PM PST
Amy92010 says:
You're right. I suppose my list wasn't extensive enough. And I can't believe I forgot that signature crooked smile.

Posted on Mar 15, 2010 3:03:29 PM PDT
Southpaw says:
i love your review! I think you forgot "marble skin" but i think it's interchanageable with "marble slab." Reading those words repeatedly throughout the book made reading tiring. At one point, I lost count of how many times I've re-read them. It's beyond my comprehension why these books are so popular. It's hard to like a book when the heroine is anything but likeable. For a herione, Bella falls short - a lot! Bella needs a total personality makeover.

Posted on Mar 31, 2010 1:21:21 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Mar 31, 2010 1:27:03 PM PDT
Missy Hoppe says:
Brilliant review! I totally loved it. SM needs a thesaurus very badly. I'm careful in the story I'm trying to write not to over-use words and look for alternatives where ever possible.
Also, I'm sorry, but I can never put angelic and vampire in the same sentence. It just doesn't work for me. To be fair, though, I'm not a huge vampire fan as a general rule. I'm more into elves, real angels, dragons and other fantasy creatures.

Posted on Sep 9, 2010 9:18:51 PM PDT
Marc Lee says:
Hilarious and oh so spot on! It really make me chuckle. 'Marble slab' was a dark slab of humour, err... dead, then!
( Greek) godlike is another one heard often... not sure if Zeus wore so much hair gel to make it tousled...
Yes, it reminded me of a parody of the repetitive seduction scenes in lady chatterley's lover, with a Mormon bent of course, so just the right side of chaste!
Keep your comments coming!

Posted on Oct 15, 2010 12:07:07 PM PDT
J. S. Walsh says:
Excellent review. This book should have been titled, "Bella Mopes." I read the entire series after the 4th book came out but I almost didn't make it to Books 3 and 4 because New Moon got on my last flippin nerve. The entire book can be summed up as follows: "For the next 400 pages, Bella will whine on Edward, 'I love you. I can't live without you. Make me a vampire.' The end."

Oh--and you forgot "frozen" and "statue."

Posted on Nov 2, 2010 2:45:19 PM PDT
Yes anyone can be a critic, but I would love to see you write a book that would hit as big as Twilight did...

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 22, 2010 1:57:50 PM PST
Yes, because as we all know, popularity=quality!!!*sarcasm*

Obvious twi-tard is obvious.

Posted on Jan 31, 2011 4:27:49 PM PST
Rebecca says:
How about "his/her eyes tightened" that got used about 10 times in this book.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 Next ›