Automotive Deals Best Books of the Month Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Sun Care Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer harmonquest_s1 harmonquest_s1 harmonquest_s1  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis STEM Segway miniPro

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent GPS system! Tom Tom never seems to disappoint, June 27, 2012
This review is from: TomTom START 55M 5-Inch GPS Navigator with Lifetime Maps and Roadside Assistance (Discontinued by Manufacturer) (Wireless Phone Accessory)
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
No two GPS units are the same. I've tried almost every major brand and I prefer the TomTom models. Before this unit, I was using a GPS by TomTom with a smaller screen for vacation trips and navigational adventures in unfamiliar areas.
I plugged the unit into the TomTom site and updated the software which took quite some time. But, from previous models' snafus that I had read about, I first deleted voices and icons from the unit to free up space in the unit before I began the download of updated materials. This may not be necessary now, but it was at one time. Once updated, I took it out and began my trip.
The general operation of the GPS is very similar to my older model. Some icons are on the opposite side from my older one. With one touch I could switch views of the map on the screen from a view you'd see by looking down on a map to a view of looking down the road ahead of you. This was convenient and useful to me when I was in congested city settings. I could switch to the view looking down on the map and see streets parallel to me and get a better view around me. Overall, this new one is brighter and the touchpad sensitivity is much better. I felt like I had to press the old screen much harder than I should've had to. This new unit did alert me to a redlight camera that I knew was there, but the older unit has never alerted to the camera. My old one did not have the lifetime maps, so had I spent the money to update the maps it too might have alerted to the camera.
Having the free lifetime maps will definitely be nice. I will never have another GPS unit without the free lifetime maps.
Some say GPS units are dying out. If you travel much outside major metropolitan areas where there are no 3G or 4G cellular towers, you will soon find out just relying on your smartphone to get you there will not work. As long as your up-to-date TomTom GPS can see the sky, it will get you there...and no, I don't work for TomTom or any GPS companies.
So, having tried many GPS systems, I can confidently say that this one is the best yet. I love the large screen and the map layout. I would highly recommend this one to anyone looking for a good gps system and free lifetime maps. That alone makes it worth a lot, considering that was never offered in the earlier models.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in
  [Cancel]

Comments

Track comments by e-mail
Tracked by 1 customer

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-2 of 2 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Feb 27, 2014 4:40:28 PM PST
P's Mommy says:
When I wrote this review 2 years ago, it was, in my opinion the best in this price range. It probably isn't now considering it's discontinued and there's likely a newer model.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 4, 2015 6:54:45 AM PST
bb says:
Sorry the 55TM wont peep 4 red light cameras, FEB 2015 spoke w TOMTOM no plans to add feature it has SPEED CAMERAS which is not the same. Im on LI near NYC and there are 100's of red light cameras and absolutely no SPEED CAMERAS in all my years of driving Ive never even seen a speed camera. For speeding police here use radar & laser. NOTE my cheapo model ONE 140s was updated w TT HOME software with red light cameras but not the more expensive model. Someone is asleep at TOMTOM do not buy 55TM unit if you need this feature.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›