Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Songs of Summer Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Coffee Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

4.0 out of 5 stars Not as versatile as I had hoped, April 14, 2012
This review is from: Fisher-Price Discover 'n Grow Kick and Play Piano Gym (Discontinued by Manufacturer) (Baby Product)
My 2.5 month old immediately loved this product from day 1, and can be entertained for 30 mins-1 hr at a time! For that reason alone, I should be giving it 5 stars; however, from the perspective of a parent who does not have room for zillions of toys at home, I'm only giving it 3 stars because I was hoping it would replace a standard activity gym but it doesn't. The mat is too small for baby to do anything except lay on her back and look up at the mirror and the dangling toys, which is fine for now but not when she becomes more active and starts to roll and move around. It's also not great for tummy time because there's not enough interesting details on the mat to promote tummy time activities. As baby grows longer, the mirror will no longer be positioned correctly for her to view herself and to still kick the piano keys with extended legs. Perhaps I am expecting more longevity out of this toy than I should be, but I do not want to pay 50 bucks for something that lasts a couple months. It is also annoying to put away or even move from room to room-it basically has to be disassembled because the arch/piano/mat do not connect well together.

****UPDATE: My daughter is now 20 months old and I take back some of my previous criticisms and surmises. I have this toy still in her room with the keyboard swiveled up, and she will still occasionally come over to play music and dance a little. We've put our standard activity gym away long ago. I still don't think this mat replaces a standard activity gym (we had the Tiny Love Gymini Deluxe and she LOVED that thing as well) but hey, this one is still out while the other activity gym has been put away for for a year already.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in
  [Cancel]

Comments

Track comments by e-mail
Tracked by 1 customer

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-8 of 8 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Oct 11, 2012 8:22:13 PM PDT
S. J. Garcia says:
Each parent obviously has their own opinion and not all kids like the same things but, this toy does allow the bar to be moved so the mirror itself and the toys on the toy bar become tummy time accessible AND the piano also flips up so an older child who is sitting can sit and play the piano. That is great versatility for a play mat. My twins and my three year old all love this thing!

Posted on Oct 15, 2012 9:28:30 AM PDT
Carissa Beck says:
The toy bar from the top specifically moves to promote tummy time. My 9 month old loves to sit at the piano and play it. If you look at the toy carefully you will see this.

Posted on Oct 27, 2012 7:44:53 PM PDT
J. Faris says:
I agree with these criticisms, even though i generally like the product. The toys are not as fun when they are laying on the floor, and my 4 month old who loves to roll gets really angry that she cannot do so on this mat without bumping into the yellow plastic domes that hold the toy bar in place. I'm glad I bought this used for $20, since my baby prefers her larger and less expensive activity mat. Now however, the piano randomly stops playing music (still lights up though).

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 10, 2012 6:45:11 PM PST
T.T says:
this is so true, my sister has this toy for her 3 week old and when I went to visit with my 7 month old she removed the toy bar and set up the piano very easily, my daughter that is 7 months old loved it! she can crawl and she still sit there for at least 30min - hour playing with the piano.

Posted on Feb 7, 2013 7:46:04 AM PST
diva341 says:
I thought the same thing when my son was ready for tummy time - I figured we'd outgrown it. But then you can swivel the piano keys upright so he can sit at them and play them, and he loved that. And even after he started walking, he would come over and stand against the bar and pull at the toys. I have thought he'd outgrown this toy two or three times, and even had it in the front hall to put in storage, and he reached out begging for it when he saw it, and when I set it up again he sat down at the piano with a huge smile. He's almost 16 months old now and he still loves this toy. I would not have predicted this when he was your baby's age.

Posted on Jul 4, 2013 8:49:25 PM PDT
E Buendia says:
Howdy! I understand your frustration with 'too many toys in a small space'... we live in a 1Bd w. 2 small doggies and our babe!
But when I found out about this toy, I was overjoyed... we wanted to introduce music and have a toy that baby could grow into.
And, indeed, we used this toy from 3mths to 8mths!!!! Five Months of use out of a baby toy is really good actually! :)

We only have to 'retire' it because baby started crawling early and is now all over the place and not just parked in front of the piano. ;) Though it was a great 'let's learn how to stand' toy for a few weeks! :)

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 4, 2013 8:52:33 PM PDT
E Buendia says:
HUH! Wow! Really... your little one still likes this toy!? :)

I thought we'd have to retire it, because our little guy started crawling early and was all over the place, not just at the piano. Though he did use it for 'learning how to stand' ;)

We did, also, get a xylophone/piano toy that he seems to prefer over this one.
But I'm trying to decide on re-selling this toy or not!?!? huh!?! :)

Posted on Sep 6, 2013 2:31:48 PM PDT
Your baby should not be on this, or any, activity mat for longer than 20 minutes--and that's for a very calm and patient child! And the mat is super versatile, allowing for the piano keys to be flipped up and bar removed when the child is sitting with good posture. Then it becomes like a keyboard.

And during the transition between tummy/rolling and sitting, the baby is more than able to crawl/scoot around on the mat to look at everything from a different/new angle. My LO loves this mat--she uses it for independent play from when she was three days old (5 minutes max) through her crawling beginning at 5 months (she crawled toward the keys) until present time at 6 months where it's used as a small piano.

And, we take it lots of places as the mat is easily removable and it's not that large.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›