Industrial-Sized Deals Best Books of the Month Shop Women's Handbags Learn more nav_sap_plcc_6M_fly_beacon Deradoorian Fire TV Stick Grocery Find the Best Purina Pro Plan for Your Pet Shop Popular Services tmnt tmnt tmnt  Amazon Echo Starting at $99 Kindle Voyage Metal Gear Solid 5 Big Savings in the Amazon Fall Sportsman Event Deal of the Day

3.0 out of 5 stars Super tiny - almost too small - but big on features, May 14, 2013
This review is from: Sony DSC-WX80/R 16 MP Digital Camera with 2.7-Inch LCD (Red) (Electronics)
NOTE: I ended up returning this camera. It was a little too tiny for my liking, and I also had an issue of it losing my password on occasion.

A couple years ago I tried a Canon Elph -- this camera is similar in size, so if you have large fingers, you may have trouble using the controls. It's so small, Sony went back to a smaller 2.7" LCD screen when they've been using 3" screens on most of their latest cameras.

There is no control mode knob on top. Everything is set via menus, however there is a dedicated Movie Button.

No touchscreen. I knew it didn't have one, but some web sites like Snapsort, where you compare various camera models, are saying this DOES have a touchscreen. That is incorrect.

The Menu Button is no longer a round easy-to-push button, it almost looks like a rocker switch with the Help/Delete button right below, as best I can tell they are separate, but touching, buttons. The Menu Button is hard to push without touching the Control Wheel, and vice-versa. Especially so if you have short fingernails. You almost need a stylus, not kidding!

This camera is made in China. I have other Sony cameras also made in China and I've had no problems with them; I think part of my problem with this camera is it's so tiny and feels more fragile than the others - such as this one, one of my favorites but much larger/heavier and harder to carry in a small bag: Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX10V 18.2 MP Exmor R CMOS Digital Camera with 16x Optical Zoom and 3.0-inch LCD (Red) (2012 Model).

I started to return this when I thought Sony had included the wrong size micro USB. Well, stupid me! I was trying to insert it into the bottom of the camera where the HDMI cable goes because I hadn't noticed the small door on the side. The charging hook-up is behind one of those rubber flap doors on the left side of the camera (as you are facing the lens). I hate those rubbery doors as they easily break off after using them for awhile, so I will buy a separate battery charger.

The battery charges inside the camera via the micro USB cable and the AC adapter which are both included. Not a big deal as most all new cameras come this way now, the manufacturer saves money since they don't have to provide a separate charger. You can also charge it without the AC adapter, by plugging it into your PC, but that will take longer.

I've finished with the "Cons"! Let's move on to the good things.

Super-fast at start-up, focusing, and processing to take the next photo, due to the Bionz processor.

Decent pictures, especially outdoors, but most cameras are this way - I am not a pixel peeper but you shouldn't be with a camera like this. To a normal person, the photos this produces are fine. Although these photos aren't as good as what I get from my Sony HX10V, but it costs a lot more and it's a larger camera (see link to that camera above).

Superb movies! Sony amazes me with their ability to make cameras where the videos are so much better than others.

Battery Life: Some complain, I think it's pretty good. I have taken over 150 photos and 10 movies since I got it and the battery symbol is at 1/2 remaining.

8X optical zoom, not as much as other cameras, but even if you use the Clear Image Zoom (digital but better than most) you can go out to 16X zoom.

16 MP - this is still a little high, but I'll take it over a 20 MP camera with a small sensor.

Wi-Fi - If your router has a WPS Push Button it's easy-peasy to set up (my Cisco Valet has the WPS button, but I'm not sure if other routers have this button as my only router experience is with Valets). After you have the PlayMemories software installed, you have to "one-time" connect the camera to your PC and set up the SSID/password. If you have the WPS Push Button, you press your router button first, then get into the menu on the camera and press Wi-Fi Push. It takes a few minutes to completely connect, but once you've done that, you're good to go. It also takes a long time to transfer photos. If you don't have the WPS Push button on your router, you have to enter everything manually like a keyboard on your LCD screen. You can also use your SmartPhone as a remote control to take photos but I haven't tried that yet.

Special effects: Love the watercolor and illustration effects, which you apply in the playback menu, and it also saves your original photo.

EASY setting - perfect for older people who want limited choices and feel overwhelmed with a digital camera.

Conclusion: If you are looking for a tiny camera that you won't even notice if it's in your pocket, this is a good choice...but don't expect the Wi-fi to work perfectly and grow your nails longer for the tiny buttons.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 2 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-3 of 3 posts in this discussion
Initial post: May 14, 2013 10:58:45 AM PDT
Yarii says:
Here is a link to a pdf file that is a more comprehensive manual than what is included in the box.

Posted on May 31, 2013 8:09:31 AM PDT
Jody says:
Snapsort is also incorrect about the focal length of the wx80. Snapsort says the widest is 27mm, but Sony's Web site indicates it is 25mm. And "Digital Camera Database" says it is 28mm. Now that I read from your post that Snapsort incorrectly indicates that the wx80 has a touchscreen, I think I will disregard the non-Sony info. Thanks for your review.

Posted on Apr 22, 2014 8:07:02 AM PDT
Bpollen says:
I've been noticing "not helpful" markings lately. Like for this review. How on earth could anyone in his right mind say that this detailed review is not helpful? I'm beginning to think that some people go into Amazon from time and time and start marking "not helpful" on new reviews. Seriously, there is no way that anyone could think that this review is not helpful. Excellent, detailed review, even if you disagree with the rating.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›