4.0 out of 5 stars Still a work in progress, August 14, 2013
This review is from: Ubiquiti EdgeMax EdgeRouter Lite ERLite-3 512MB Memory 3 Ethernet Ports Router (Camera)
I upgraded from a consumer class linksys that had been running dd-wrt. From a build quality perspective, this is clearly a much nicer unit, as it should be. Remember, this is a router, and not a switch by default, so each of the 3 ports operate independently. I already have a 300 series PoE Switch made by Cisco, so that was not a problem for me.

I am using this in a home environment, but I am an IT professional with an atypical home setup. A normal consumer probably doesn't need and won't like this product.

The documentation is pretty sparse, but the online community is active, and using the guidelines in the forums, I was able to modify their SOHO config to meet my needs. It should be noted you need to either directly edit the config files or use their command line to configure the router in the majority of the cases. The syntax is rather simple to learn, but I would have much preferred to make use of a GUI. The router's GUI only provides what I would say is about 25% of the total features available at the command line. The GUI itself does look nice, but it uses flash which I don't personally care for, as it impacts my ability to use the interface across mobile platforms.

If you do purchase this router, be ready to get your hands dirty with the command line, and you can make things like real VPNs, DDNS, more powerful firewalling, etc all available. If you can only handle GUI interfaces, then you are going to have to find another product until the Ubiquiti team builds out the GUI.

The main attraction of this product is routing performance, and honestly, I don't have the ability to speak to that. This unit is far more powerful than my Internet connection is fast, so I could never saturate it. I did get a little (okay totally) crazy with some geo-based firewall rules and managed to slow the thing down to a trickle but that was my own stupidity implementing 10000s of blocked ip ranges in the way I did. If you dont believe me on how fast this is, check out smallnetbuilder for their review. This thing should handle even the fastest of home Internet connections,

If you have one of those crazy "cisco" console cables, this bad boy does have a console port. Even when I messed stuff up, I didn't need it, I just flashed it back to factory default.

A note on Ubiquiti products in general from my newfound experience. They make nice stuff for a LOT cheaper than comparable products. However, they all seem to be a work in process with significant firmware updates coming less frequently than many users would like. If you want stuff that "just works", they aren't there yet. I like their direction though and I am going to give this product a chance.

I will update the review once the product has been in use for some time.

UPDATE 9/19

Running smoothly since putting into production. No need for periodic reboots unlike some of my consumer grade hardware. If they would update the Firmware with more features, this would be a 5 star product.

UPDATE 10/17

v.1.3 firmware update at least includes a GUI based getting started wizard. This will improve initial user experience greatly.

UPDATE 4/28/14

At this point, Flash should only be used for older browsers, so if you are anti-flash like me, you are good. Additional features have been added to the firmware, more wizards provided, and we are moving in the right direction. I still think that all VPN configuration should be in the GUI, not just command line.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 2 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 13 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Feb 10, 2014 3:59:41 AM PST
Igor Levicki says:
1.4.0 is available now. Also, I'd say that most technology today is "work in progress". I have yet to see a device that does not need firmware or software updates.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 11, 2014 7:33:00 AM PST
A. Lyons says:
Igor, yep, 1.4 does add more wizards. I agree, most of these devices need updates. The issue that prevented me from giving this a 5 star review is I felt (and still do) that too many of the updates needed were because the software was not finished. Bug fixes and minor feature additions are one thing, but as I mentioned, most users are going to need the command line and I don't think in 2014 that should be the case.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 3, 2014 11:22:07 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Mar 3, 2014 11:23:12 AM PST
David F. says:
Everyone is entitled to their opinion of course, but mine differs from yours. I don't see anything wrong with a product that relies on the command line for some, or even most of its functionality, in 2014 or any year. It all depends on context.

At one end of the spectrum, you have pure consumer grade devices that accomplish everything with a GUI; basically, if you can figure out how to plug it in, it will work out of the box. This serves the needs of the masses that have no idea what subnetting means, or the difference between routing and switching, or VLANs, or VPNs, or QoS, etc. They might have 3-4 devices on the network that just need to share one public IP from a cable modem, and they get NAT and a built in firewall without having a clue.

At the other end of the spectrum, you have enterprise data center level gear - high end Cisco and Juniper devices, etc. If you have any exposure to these, I'm sure you know you'd be laughed out of the room for suggesting they should have a GUI. In fact, many Cisco routers are still routinely configured via serial port! Doesn't get much more old school than that. But it works, and many network engineers know and love it, so, you know the saying... if it ain't broke?

Somewhere in the middle of that spectrum, but still probably more toward the Cisco / Juniper market, you can lump this type of device. In terms of pure hardware specs, it blows away anything in the consumer market, and comes close to competing with enterprise devices. You probably won't start filling your data center with these, but there is still a huge untapped market in the middle - super high end home users and small / mid size businesses that can't spend $3k - $5k on a Cisco router, and so were stuck with crappy Netgear or Linksys devices with 2MB ram.

Given that the target market for Ubiquiti is "somewhere in the middle but leaning high end", I don't think it's unreasonable for the software / firmware profile to fit that mold, which basically gives you exactly what you see - a hybrid, where basic setup is accomplished via GUI, but to get really nitty gritty you have to dive in to the command line. Given that context and the market it is supposed to address, and the fact that it's the same price as a Netgear, but gives you performance approaching Cisco, I can't see how it gets anything less than 5 stars.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 3, 2014 5:46:58 PM PST
A. Lyons says:
Some very good counterpoints.

Posted on Mar 12, 2014 5:12:51 PM PDT
Walt says:
I installed one of these about a month ago now. Certainly this is no longer a work in progress, but a fully finished product with powerful features. There is absolutely nothing wrong with using the command line (which wasn't needed for basic configuration, simple port forwarding, etc.)

Frankly, web interfaces just get in the way for a lot of configurations - something you can do in the command line in 15 seconds takes minutes of clicking around a web interface.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 16, 2014 5:25:26 PM PDT
A. Lyons says:
So you think that its faster to setup VPNs using command line? I get that command line have their place but lets be honest, web interfaces are where its at these days.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 16, 2014 6:29:43 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Mar 16, 2014 6:30:50 PM PDT
David F. says:
It's not an either-or proposition. Some things are faster with the GUI, some with the CLI. A hybrid approach is probably the best, and will always come down to your specific use case. Consider: You can export your configs to a text file and reuse them. While it's true that you can do this whether or not you used the GUI or CLI in the first place, if you know the CLI and config file structures, you can edit these files in notepad to make minor adjustments in literally seconds, then just reimport using the load feature on the GUI. This would certainly be faster than making changes via the GUI, no matter what you are changing.

Posted on Apr 17, 2014 3:14:09 PM PDT
T. Johnson says:
Thanks for the thorough review; it's quite helpful. Very disappointed to hear the UI is Flash-based; I think I just decided against it. I'm assuming that's still the case w/ latest firmware?

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 17, 2014 5:50:44 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 17, 2014 5:52:14 PM PDT
David F. says:
My GUI was never flash based. Just scanned the source and see one reference to a swf file that I have never seen load. Everything is Javascript / CSS. If you're assuming flash because you saw a UI still image with charts - those are generated / updated with Javascript.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 18, 2014 8:17:54 AM PDT
T. Johnson says:
@David F thanks for the feedback; I was referring to the OP's comments that the UI is Flash-based. Very glad to hear it's not.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›