5.0 out of 5 stars Google Voice + Obi100 = No More Phone Bills!!!, May 11, 2011
This review is from: OBi100 VoIP Telephone Adapter and Voice Service Bridge (Electronics)
By installing the obi 100 and the Vtech Dect 6.0 I officially do not need phone service. This thing gives you the exact same service that most cable companies are selling in a bundle with cable and internet. Problem with the cable comapny is that after the promotion runs out each service is about 60 dollars a piece. The price jumps from 99.00 introductory 12 month rate to a whopping full circle at 180 bucks a month. I asked and asked buy my cable company refused to put me back on promotion. So, I ended up doing some research on how I could get a low cost preferably free phone service that did not require having a computer on always like Majic Jack.

I ended up narrowing my search down to 2 choices 1 I could go with Ooma, or 2 there was the Obi. Both of these phone solutions use Voip which is just an acronym for voice over the internet literally. Ooma has a high installation cost, but if you are not very tech savvy and familiar with the internet this is probably the best choice for you. Installation of Ooma is very easy as I understand it. Its practically plug in and start calling. However the drawback as I mentioned is the 2-300.00 dollar equipment fee, and the 3 dollars a month they charge for some type of taxes that make no sense to me. They are not the phone company, and how does everyone pay the exact same amount 3 dollars and some change.

Anyway I found out about the Obi110 and saw its capabilities, and I was impressed. It met all of my criteria. Low cost equipment; the obi100 was about 40 dollars and the phone was about 15 so all together I spent just over 50 dollars. Set up can be intimidating to a novice, but it is do able. It should take a novice about 10 minutes if they follow the video. As long as you follow the steps for configuring the Obi with google voice on the ObiHai website you can enjoy a free phone service that runs through your high speed internet modem. Google voice integration is perfect.

I have used the exact same phone that I bought at other peoples house and I always hear this loud static in the background, and I struggle to hear the person on the other end. I chalk it up to the analog phone combined with the latency of the cordless phone. However, when I heard the clarity that Voip provided via the Obi100 and Google voice I was blown away. No monthly fees, no high equipment fees and fairly easy installation the Obi and Google voice are a no brainier. You can even get a local number or port your cell phone or some other number to Google voice.

If you want to ditch your phone bill and need a replacement solution that does not depend on a computer. This should be your first choice. Only draw back is that there is no emergency calls and 911 can't find your location. I highly recommend, and if you read this entire review I am sorry for the length, but I tried to give a thorough review. Thanks.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 13 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 60 posts in this discussion
Initial post: May 31, 2011 12:57:07 PM PDT
Vindicated says:
Sounds great. What happens when Google Voice is no longer free for domestic and Canadian calls? Then what?

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 13, 2011 11:16:28 AM PDT
J. Myau says:
Good comments,
Google announce they will "extend" the free call to US/Canada till end of 2011.
Think they are competing with Skype. After they have enough install base.
It will be another Skype. Then again, one would not know if Ooma can stay in business for how long.
Do your own due diligence carefully.

Posted on Jun 16, 2011 1:42:39 PM PDT
Allen says:
Good review. The downside is that if Google Voice is no longer free then the device loses its appeal. If GV starts charging, I'm sure it will be reasonable. Alternatively, the device would still work with other Voip providers. I already have an Ooma device but buying this would be cheaper than getting a second Ooma line.

Posted on Jul 12, 2011 12:20:35 AM PDT
J. Lindell says:
Nice review, I purchased an Ooma Telo a few weeks ago and now I'm thinking I should have went with the OBi100/110 and did Google Voice. The Ooma Telo is working good though.

Posted on Jul 19, 2011 8:57:33 AM PDT
Siddova says:
Ok, I know I may come across as stupid here, but I just want to clarify for my dumb a-- self. I have no land line and one cell phone. I now need a separate line for a home office. If I get a google voice number and this device plus the phone you mention, then people will call my google voice number, and it will go to the new phone? Without any other number associated with that phone?

I'm just confused because all the info on the Google Voice site says that calls to the google number will be forwarded to OTHER numbers, like my cell or something. But, if I understand correctly, the google voice calls can be forwarded to this Obi device as if it were a phone number?

I hope you understand what I'm saying, sorry if it just sounds like a bunch of rambling... and no, I'm not extremely tech savvy. I do have high speed internet through comcast.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 26, 2011 10:35:39 PM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Jul 26, 2011 10:37:53 PM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 26, 2011 10:41:38 PM PDT
Lucky D says:
in google voice account i am pretty sure that you put google chat as the forwarding phone. On the website the device might send you to will need google voice email/pass. I recommend a dedicated google account for this because i think when you open gmail for the same account, gmail logs you into chat(that might interfere). i don't have it yet, I am about to buy it because the price dropped to 39 again.

Posted on Jul 28, 2011 8:15:47 PM PDT
Siddova says:
It really works! If a dope like me can get it working, anyone can! Go to the obihai website and watch the video showing how to set up Google Voice, it made it clear for me, and got me working in less than 10 minutes! Take THAT Comcast! =D

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 11, 2011 6:35:49 AM PDT
Mike says:
The answer is yes. The device pretends to be a "phone" that GoogleVoice can reach (its actually doing this by being your googletalk endpoint, but that is not important). You don't need anything other than a googlevoice number, whihc is not a phone, its just the number that other people can call you. When you setup the Obi, you enter your gmail account details, and you also tell GoogleVoice to send all calls to your googlechat endpoint ... wherever that is currently logged in - that's the Obi device.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 12, 2011 7:36:08 AM PDT
Steve C says:
So how to you use it to make outgoing calls?
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next ›

Review Details

Item

4.6 out of 5 stars (2,017 customer reviews)
 (1,631)